Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on This Weekend at the Movies

I can't even stand to watch the real W, let alone 2 hours of a remake.

I might be able to watch this in 20 years but not now.

Posted by Katy | October 18, 2008 10:26 AM

While running on the Burke this morning, we came across TWO dead squirrels less that 1/4 mile apart. Neither looked like they had been hit... they looked like they may have been up in a tree, had squirrel heart attacks and fell out.

Posted by dp | October 18, 2008 10:51 AM

Scavengers. Scavengers eat them before they accumulate into huge piles of squirrel carcasses. Thank you, scavengers!

Posted by Carrion, our wayward son | October 18, 2008 11:01 AM

Ms. West,

Do you if and where the movie "Let the Right One In" will be playing? It was a SIFF movie this past year and I saw a preview for it at the Quarantine opening last Friday. I've heard it's great and timely for Halloween.

Thank you.

Posted by Moviegoer | October 18, 2008 11:23 AM

> Hey, I have a question about squirrels.
> I’m familiar with roadkill squirrels,
> but what happens when squirrels just die
> of natural causes? There are so many
> squirrels around. But where are all the
> squirrel corpses? Funny business, is alls
> I’m saying.

Hi Lindy,
Well, I happened to come across a squirrel carcass in a nearby alley just a few days ago, and on the SAME day there was a dead mouse in my yard, AND i think maybe some other little dead animal.
So, based on the evidence at hand, I'd say that every so often there are dying days when we lose some of the little animals of the area who's time has come.

Posted by J | October 18, 2008 11:31 AM

Yeah, it's too soon for 'W'. It's really, really not funny yet.

Posted by violet_dagrinder | October 18, 2008 11:54 AM

Last year a squirrel fell out of a tree (I can only assume) on a main walking path at UW and had blood coming from its mouth. It was really a slight to see. Later that day as I was walking home there was a UW worker basically wearing a hazmat suit power washing the dead squirrel bits away. Everybody wondered what had killed that squirrel...

Posted by Chris | October 18, 2008 11:56 AM

Posted by Chris | October 18, 2008 11:56 AM

squirrels: i watched the fleas streaming off of a dead squirrel as it became cold and stiff, like rats from a sinking ship. where did they ultimately go?

Posted by ellarosa | October 18, 2008 12:08 PM

Some Seattle neighborhoods have raccoons. Maybe they dispose of the squirrel corpses--I hear they'll eat anything.

As for W, I'm with Katy and Violet--it's too soon. Sort of like watching a Stephen King movie right after a funeral. Maybe after the soldiers are home from Iraq and the economy starts to look better I'll be in the right mood.

Posted by RainMan | October 18, 2008 1:03 PM

My neighborhood has coyotes, raccoons, and possums, and yet amongst all these scavengers, there's been a squirrel carcass in the middle of the sidewalk on my walk to my bus stop for the past two weeks. At the same time, as the squirrel has sat untouched, there has been a rash of "lost cat" signs. Apparently housecats are tastier than dead squirrels.

Posted by Jessica | October 18, 2008 1:11 PM

squirrel heart attacks? scavengers? raccoons? all lies! the truth is that squirrels are zombie cannibals and are already dead!

Posted by douglas | October 18, 2008 1:16 PM

If you haven't seen it, it's worth seeing the Lemony Snicket movie on the big screen.

No squirrels die, but I can't say the same for snakes and eels.

Posted by Will in Seattle | October 18, 2008 1:23 PM

Cats happen to squirrels.

And there is no way in hell I'd sit through anything whose main focus is Duh Shrub lasting 2 hours or even 2 minutes. I've suffered him for the past (nearly) 8 years. Not a moment longer.

p.s. The squirrels (and other critters) that mysteriously fell out of the trees dead, they sound like the victims of rat poison.

Posted by yucca flower | October 18, 2008 2:09 PM

I saw the preview for "W." and I call bullshit on it. Josh Brolin doesn't look like me at all! Bullshit! Bullshit!

Posted by Cookie W. Monster | October 18, 2008 2:33 PM

nobody reviewed the katrina doc 'trouble the water' playing at the varsity for one week only. what's up with that ?

Posted by reverend dr dj riz | October 18, 2008 5:48 PM

@16: I did, Riz! It's in Suggests this week.

Posted by Lindy West | October 18, 2008 6:47 PM

Never mind w, I saw boogieman. It was great, a gripping documentary about the man who mentored carl rove.

Posted by wl | October 18, 2008 10:05 PM

I almost go hit in the head by a dead squirrel once.

It was right after I first moved to Seattle many moons ago. I was walking up hill past Cyber Dog ($5 for a hotdog? Come on, its a tube of meat)and this very large gray squirrel fell from the tree inches in front of my face. It just thudded onto the metal grate at the base of the tree, twitched a few times, and shed its mortal coil. I thinks about that squirrel every time I walk past the Cyber Dog.

I think it was just old. Squirrels need hospice.

Posted by Ozymandias | October 18, 2008 10:55 PM

You probably put a plastic colander on your head to filter out the news, but Bush has been wowing people in Europe.

Like Jerry Lewis, Bush may have to be fully recognized there first.

Posted by John Bailo | October 18, 2008 10:55 PM

@16 a few friends and I went and saw "trouble the water" last night and it was very good and very disturbing. the editing could have maybe been a bit better, but Kim's story, her husband's story, the stories of their friends, family and neighbors, the story of the gov't "assistance"... it was just all incredible. Very sad, but also wonderful to see how the brutality of nature and the crimes of gov't brought out the very best in the people in the story.
watch the trailer and see if you don't feel compelled to go see it:
www.troublethewaterfilm.com

Posted by stacy | October 19, 2008 9:13 AM

@20: I'm getting a picture of Bush running franticly around the Oval Office knocking over lamps, scattering papers, etc while sticking out his top row of teeth and yelling "HEY LAY-DEEEEE!"

Posted by RainMan | October 19, 2008 9:37 AM

Sex drive….oooo…I could not stop laughing. Such a grate sex comedy it was. Never thought it will be that much funny. Love to see it again and again. It based on simple story but develops many funny dialogs. Don’t wait man. I saw it on http://www.80millionmoviesfree.com

Posted by hamsonlio | October 21, 2008 3:22 AM