Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on "Our children need a mother and a father to thrive."

Two words: fucked. up.

Posted by STPA | October 13, 2008 10:36 AM

I'd ask 'who are these fucktards', but my grandmother was one of them. Beat the Hell out of my dad, abused him shamelessly until he finally ran away from her at age 16. [his Dad died when he was 8] My Dad was seriously fucked up as a result - but he didn't beat his kids.

People like this shouldn't breed.

Posted by Schweighsr | October 13, 2008 10:40 AM
The mother, who did not work outside the home, also directly monitored her daughter's showers and bathroom habits "to keep her from surreptitiously drinking water," police said. Showers were restricted to every two or three weeks.

The girl told police that her mother once duct-taped her hands behind her back and dunked her head in the toilet to discipline her.

Note: these people were not hillbillies. Daddy was a software engineer. This isn't abuse; it's carefully thought-out psychological torture. I hope the parents never see the light of day again.
Posted by Fnarf | October 13, 2008 10:41 AM

Dan-
The scary part is (or rather, one of the many scary parts), that she's not a "little girl"--she may be so malnourished that she looks like one, but she's actually a teenager.

Posted by Lesley | October 13, 2008 10:48 AM

Being abused doesn't mean they will abuse. My mother and father beat the shit out of each other and their kids. It's acceptable behavior in some cultures, but my parents knew it wasn't acceptable here. I can't believe that girl was in that house for so long. People let abuse happen. I'm glad the neighbor finally called. I wish someone had called when I was a kid. Maybe then my parents could see that they did some harm to us.

Posted by Sil | October 13, 2008 10:59 AM

Burn in hell, fuckheads! I hope your assets are siezed and liquidated to pay for the years of therapy both your kids will need while you're getting the shit beaten out of you in prison.

Posted by Jessica | October 13, 2008 11:12 AM

Why not report the good news about Connecticut and gay marriage? You report on this stuff instead?

Not much happened after MA, but now we have CA, Patterson in NY and CT in rapid succession. CA may have been the prairie fire.

Posted by Dan | October 13, 2008 11:48 AM

I don't get this kind of stuff at all - what happens to people's survival-of-the-species instinct? Protecting our young is pretty much a built-in brain function, isn't it?

Posted by Patti | October 13, 2008 11:57 AM

@8: MAny animals, when they feel something is wrong with one of their offspring, will reject the offspring and allow it to die. Just addressing the "survival of the species" and "protecting the young" instincts. Personally, I think these people should be be punished to the full extent of the law.

Posted by Nora | October 13, 2008 12:19 PM

The Yes on Prop 8 bigots need to get a copy of this.

Posted by Sargon Bighorn | October 13, 2008 12:23 PM

Breeders are scary people and are the biggest threat to family values.

Posted by blackhook | October 13, 2008 12:27 PM

Every child deserves a logical fallacy.

Posted by Bob | October 13, 2008 12:57 PM

How can someone do that to their own child?? I mean what justification does their sadistic mind come up with?? That's just disgusting. Their own children.

Posted by anthony | October 13, 2008 1:53 PM

slog, 13 oct 08, seattle wa: 120+ responses bleating about meat-eating, 13 about what is possibly (sad that in these times i say 'possibly' and not 'definitely') the most fucked-up story i have ever read.

this is what the death penalty is for.

Posted by pretentious | October 13, 2008 9:59 PM

This calls for another donation to Children's Hospital.

Posted by Vince | October 14, 2008 7:16 AM

@13: it was HIS own child but not hers. I wonder how on earth he got custody.

Posted by Laural | October 14, 2008 11:20 AM

The saddest part is that if found guilty, they'd only be sentenced to UP TO 4 years in prison.

Posted by Sock Monkey | October 14, 2008 11:41 AM