Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Soon-to-Be Hanging | Debate Watch Parties? »

Monday, October 6, 2008

Money Where Your Virtual Mouths Are?

posted by on October 6 at 10:02 AM

Originally posted Oct. 2, but moved up to today because I want to keep collecting answers a little longer. Then, sometime tomorrow, I’m going to produce a totally unscientific mathematical extrapolation that will try to show just how much money the citizens of Slog have given to Barack Obama for the general election.

During our liveblogging of the first presidential debate, I did a snap poll to see how the percentage of Obama supporters in our audience compared to the percentage of McCain supporters. No surprise (for anyone reading the comments), the audience was about 99 percent Obama supporters.

Other Slog polls have produced similar outcomes. Which leads me to wonder: What’s all this Obama love on Slog translating into when it comes to donations?

Let’s find out:

How much have you personally donated to Obama’s general election campaign fund so far?

And, if you’re willing to put your name (or Slog handle) next to your specific donation amount, please brag away in the comments. I’d love to see who’s who among the Slog donor class.

RSS icon Comments

I was a Cynthia McKinney supporter (and probably still voter) until that bitch Palin hit the scene. We -progressives, left, liberals, Dems, whatever you want to call 'us'- need to put our money where our mouths are. The Reps are bewildered that so much of Obama's support is coming from unregistered small donations, and its those donations that will push him over the top.

Posted by Lose-Lose | October 2, 2008 9:00 AM

I support Obama (with my vote) but I don't support politics with my money. There are real charities (cancer research, homeless, etc.) that are much more deserving of my money.

Posted by mongrel | October 2, 2008 9:00 AM

My donation is small, but my parents are donating a lot more as they can afford to. (Also, my sixteen-year-old sister is volunteering. I wish she could vote, but she is the exception to her age group.)

Posted by Abby | October 2, 2008 9:07 AM

Put up or shut up! (I've already contributed the maximum $4600 for Obama).

Money is what it takes to get the right person elected. Posting comments on a blog is not enough.

Now, it's time to support Peter Goldmark, John Ladenburg, Darcy Burner, and Chris Gregoire.

Posted by slugbiker | October 2, 2008 9:07 AM

i gave to the dem. party this year, but not obama, because he seems pretty well set, far as i can tell. also, FISA really pissed me off.

Posted by ellarosa | October 2, 2008 9:07 AM

I put down $250 for Obama.

Posted by Bellevue Ave | October 2, 2008 9:07 AM

I donated 5% of my Bush tax credit to the Obama campaign.

Posted by Barak "Eugene Debs" Obama | October 2, 2008 9:08 AM

Obama is the first politician I have ever donated to (I'm 30). I would have donated to him anyways, but one of the primary reasons I gave so much ($1,000) was that it bought me a ticket to a conference being held in Chicago next weekend.

There will be a bunch of speeches/panels on different issues (the economy, energy, etc.) and a roster of folks that I'm really excited to see (Barack & Michelle, Madeleine Albright, Howard Dean, Susan Rice).

So, basically, I was okay with donating at that level, but I wanted to get some sort of interesting experience from it. Otherwise, I probably would have just given a couple hundred.

Posted by Julie in Chicago | October 2, 2008 9:08 AM

I've donated around $30, but I have also donated time. I work in a bookstore, and don't make a whole lot. I do what I can.

Posted by bibliogrrl | October 2, 2008 9:08 AM

I'm an Obama supporter, but have not donated anything to anyone.

I'm a bit house poor this cycle.

Posted by Mike in MO | October 2, 2008 9:08 AM

What the heck, guys?! Throw some money in! Getting your guy in office will be the biggest charity donation you can possible make.

Posted by katrat | October 2, 2008 9:09 AM

nothing to obama directly, since a minuscule amount of my job consists of lobbying, but i gave $200 to moveon. and my non-lobbyist wife gave obama a couple hundred dollars.

Posted by jon c | October 2, 2008 9:09 AM

I've given about $70 so far, over 4 donations. I expect to give more in the next few days.

Posted by NaFun | October 2, 2008 9:09 AM

I donated $25.

Small amount, I know, but I'm unemployed. And yeah, I did donate it right after I got my $600 check but didn't realize the beauty of it until just now.

Posted by monkey | October 2, 2008 9:13 AM

According to the Federal Reserve, consumer credit card debt in the United States totals $880 billion

Almost half (~40%) of American households spend more than they make each year

Posted by Thanks for giving, those of you who can. | October 2, 2008 9:13 AM

I would consider making a donation, but I do not want my name to be made public as donating to a specific political candidate or party. I believe the law requires that when you do make a donation, you have to disclose your information (name, address, etc). In other words, there are no anonymous political donations. Does anyone know differently?

Posted by Emily | October 2, 2008 9:15 AM

$50 and if I were still mooching housing off of family it would be far more.

Now my contribution to sustaining the economy is that I bought a condo and now I'm living paycheck to paycheck. All that crap about buying being comparable to renting is a sham. Hopefully in 10 years it'll pay off...

Posted by S-Lo | October 2, 2008 9:17 AM

I donated $5. I'm in college and the husband's job situation is touchy, so money's not exactly flowing like water around here, you know? But Obama is the first politician I've given money to, and once my tiny student salary comes in, I'm sending more.

Posted by Jessica | October 2, 2008 9:17 AM

I donated $100 to Obama when Clinton was starting to get desperate. If I could, I'd give more now.

Posted by MonkeyNose | October 2, 2008 9:18 AM

I personally donated 3k to the HRC for President campaign. My sister and Mother donated similarly. While we were set to donate another 10K, if she received the nomination, since Obama got the nomination, we're using the money to vacation instead. Thanks Obama!

Posted by dewsterling | October 2, 2008 9:19 AM

$350 from kinkos

Posted by kinkos | October 2, 2008 9:19 AM

$75 to Obama, $50 to Gregoire. I've never donated to anyone before, but this insanity has to stop!

Posted by arborheightist | October 2, 2008 9:20 AM

I've given $50-100 to Obama campaign.
Nice to that (so far) this tops me in the top half of the class among Slog readers.
I've also given to Al Franken and Darcy Burner this year andof course to HRC she got about $150 from me. Many times I was about to give more to Obama, but then I read things on Slog about how HRC is so evil, her supporters are racists, or making jokes about sticking dynamite up her vagina, prompting me not to send in another donation to Obama. In past years I gave more to Kerry and Gore and Clinton, and I've personally donated up to several months of volunteer time including going to other states for a few weeks, where my volunteer hours were more needed. Meanwhile handed out a few Obama yard signs and someone stole mine though I really have no proof that it was mr. e.

At this point Obama's so almost in the bag -- look at real clear no toss up today, now Nevada falls in his column, plus VA NC OH FL -- it may make more sense to send money to Burner or close house or senate race in another state. Also helpful: Get a friend to register asap before Oct. 4th. Volunteer. Here or elsewhere. And express yourself like my good buddy with that art gallery in Bremerton said a few months ago. We on this side always like to have people be heard and to experience a diversity of views and to have a big, inclusive tent.
Right?

Unity y'all--

Posted by PC | October 2, 2008 9:21 AM

oops - forgot to brag. I kicked in $500, and raised $1200 at a dinner party, "Dining for Dollars".

Posted by katrat | October 2, 2008 9:21 AM

Echoing #2, I made a rule for myself that every time was inspired to give money to Obama (I'm a sucker for melodrama and good propaganda, like that well.i.am video and some of those posters), I would give the same amount to MSF/Doctors Without Borders instead. So far they've gotten 200 bucks.

Posted by johna | October 2, 2008 9:21 AM

I gave $120 to the Obama campaign. This is the first time I've ever donated to a political candidate.

Posted by Greg | October 2, 2008 9:22 AM

A whopping $45, so far! I'd max out if I could, but some of us here on 'main street' live on limited income.

Posted by cityeric | October 2, 2008 9:22 AM

$25 to Obama after my sister asked me to. It was on the day that there were matching donations so the incentive felt greater. My first $ donation to a campaign.

Posted by MMB | October 2, 2008 9:23 AM

$200, with another donation planned for the morning after the second debate.

Posted by Christin | October 2, 2008 9:25 AM

I've given about $50. I'm a poor recent college grad paying off student loans-- I think Obama will understand. I figure the amount of time I've spent rallying people to vote for Obama (I converted both my parents who were going to vote for the green candidate, several people at work and even one of my friends who has never voted before), is worth more than the money I can't afford to spend.

Posted by SDizzle | October 2, 2008 9:26 AM

$0 - The major parties need money like Scott Weiland needs a fix

Posted by Mahtli69 | October 2, 2008 9:27 AM

I've been giving since last November, and it totals $500 so far (I expect to drop him some more when I get my next paycheck).

Posted by Jaxxi Hax | October 2, 2008 9:27 AM

My partner and I both donated to this max. This is also our first time seriously getting involved with a political campaign. We sat on the sidelines in 2004 and didn't do much, and since have decided we won't make that mistake again. We've also been doing voter registration volunteer work.

Posted by JustinV | October 2, 2008 9:27 AM

I gave $25, and it was the first time I donated to a political campaign. I generally avoid it, and granted, it is a symbolic amount, but it is too important this time around to not put my money where my mouth is.

And for the record, Obama wasn't my first choice among Democrats. I just can't abide another four years of a Republican presidency.

Posted by Sheryl | October 2, 2008 9:28 AM

I've thrown down a measly $125 so far in different chunks, dating back to Feb 07. also set up a fundraising page to raise even more...

Posted by Grant | October 2, 2008 9:30 AM

$155 over four donations (once in the primary, once right after the primary was over, once after the RNC, and once on the last day of October).

Posted by Beguine | October 2, 2008 9:30 AM

Oh, and I did the same thing @25 did, and gave an equal donation to a youth shelter in my hometown. I think that is important, too.

Posted by Sheryl | October 2, 2008 9:30 AM

My friend has a my.barackobama.com page and I contributed enough to get her up to $500. I'll talk with the hubby tonight to see if D. Burner should get some money too.

Posted by i love my hourlong commute | October 2, 2008 9:31 AM

I don't comment often but read every post. I've given $150 so far, $50 in August and $100 in September. I wish it could be more, but hey, I work at a nonprofit and have 35K in student loans.

Posted by boppy | October 2, 2008 9:32 AM

I donated $25 to Obama at the same time I donated $25 to the ACLU. I didn't feel quite right about giving the full amount to Obama since I technically disagree with his non-stance on gay rights. I figured since the ACLU supports what I support more directly, they'd do what they could to keep the GOP at bay.

I'm not really that excited about Obama, to tell the truth. He's more like a Craigslist booty call: Good enough for now -- I'll get my political rocks off, as it were -- but there won't be any tongue-kissing, "I love yous," or attempts for me to cast this as anything other than "He's better than that John."

Posted by GrammarCop | October 2, 2008 9:34 AM

$100 to obama, first time to ever donate to a candidate, i'm 35.

Posted by cranky | October 2, 2008 9:34 AM

My wife and I were going to give $200 to Obama, but a DNC volunteer came to our door first and I figured that was good enough. Also I gave $15 to Moveon for a swanky t-shirt. I don't know if either of those counts since they're not directly to Obama, so I didn't vote in this here poll. We might cough up some more directly to his campaign soon.

Posted by Levislade | October 2, 2008 9:36 AM

Oh and I wanted to add, to people who are mentioning more worthy causes - I've given about the same to 6 or 7 Seattle charities this year as well. Trying to keep it equitable between things I'm passionate about on a budget.

Posted by boppy | October 2, 2008 9:37 AM

$30 so far, a bit more at a fundraising party next week. Yeah, I do feel a little weird about giving money to a politician instead of a cause that directly benefits people, but... hell, if Obama reverses the decision to not support international family planning organizations that even DISCUSS the option of abortion, that'll do a hell of a lot for the same people I'm trying to help when I give to Doctors Without Borders.

Posted by leek | October 2, 2008 9:40 AM

I sent $20 during the primaries and $20 a few days ago.

Not much, but I'm a broke-ass student, and $40 buys a loooot of lentils. :shrug:

Posted by violet_dagrinder | October 2, 2008 9:40 AM

Money helps, big time, but it isn't everything. I've given five months out of my life, gladly, to support this ticket.

For everybody out there who supports Obama and thinks his presidency will bring us better times here in WA, we need to get the vote out for Chris Gregoire.

I don't care what single issue you might disagree with her about. Dino Rossi in Olympia would obstruct or undermine every idea, every program, and every policy initiative that we think Obama might implement.

Gregoire would support, enhance, and reinforce Obama's vision and his agenda here in WA.

If you're an Obama fan like I am, when it comes to Governor, it's gotta be Gregoire. There is no other choice.

Besides, do you really want to see that snide, snarling, slippery, smarmy, sleazy, sarcastic prick on TV, telling us what his wingnut puppetmasters think is good for us, for the next four years? In your heart you know you don't.

Let's make that 133-vote margin from 2004 a 133,000-vote margin in 2008.

Posted by ivan | October 2, 2008 9:42 AM

$500

Posted by StrangerDanger | October 2, 2008 9:44 AM

I've donated to Obama, Gregoire, Burner and a couple downticket races in other states where gay-friendly candidates have a chance of upsetting wingnuts.

Amounts will remain confidential, but they're nothing special, TBH.

Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball | October 2, 2008 9:46 AM

counting primary and general, you can go up to $4600.

Posted by chris | October 2, 2008 9:47 AM

$835 donated so far. Ready to pony up a little more if the polls start trending to McCain/Palin. About 2/3 of this was during primary, the remaining 1/3 in general. Plus I took a week off to travel to Texas and volunteer for the Primary/Caucus at my expense. It will have been the best money I ever spent if it helps save us from McCain/Palin.

Posted by Mike in Iowa | October 2, 2008 9:47 AM

After tonight, $135 to Obama, and more to other local races.

For those who have contributed for the first time, congratulations! Politicians control millions (millions that go or do not go to important causes, @2) so letting them know you are out there, even with a small donation, makes the difference. Who is in charge of that money matters, as well all well know.

Go, fight, WIN!

Posted by Stephanie Pure | October 2, 2008 9:50 AM

Officially, I'm at $3660 (primary and general combined) for Obama, but in addition I've found plenty of other ways to spend money to help campaign efforts as well at the grassroots levels. I will reach the max of $4600 before the month is over.

Also donated money to Al Franken and Darcy Burner and the Democratic Party.

Posted by Andy Niable | October 2, 2008 9:51 AM

$400 thusfar to Obama, and $200 to Dodd, which went to Obama anyways, since he dropped out the day after I donated.

So, $600 total.

Posted by Joh | October 2, 2008 9:53 AM

$225 so far. If Biden (or Palin herself) obliterates Palin tonight, $175

Posted by Lawks a Lordy | October 2, 2008 9:54 AM

I've given Obama $500 straight up, plus another $100 or so for signs, buttons, and assorted campaign junk. I gave Kerry $250, which was the first time I'd ever given a candidate dough. I've also given smaller amounts to Burner and gay-marriage groups both in '06 and year.

Posted by Fnarf | October 2, 2008 9:55 AM

About $300. Still waiting for my hot plate.

Posted by billiard | October 2, 2008 9:55 AM

$150 to Obama, $50 to DNC.

Posted by Gurldoggie | October 2, 2008 9:55 AM

#16

The way around that is to buy swag from the WA State DP. They have a tent at pretty much any event, and you can buy a sign from them for whatever you want. Suggested price is, like, $4. But if you want to pay $50 for one, that's really up to you.

Posted by tabletop_joe | October 2, 2008 9:59 AM

I gave $42 x 2 to Bill Richardson, my first ever campaign contributions. I should probably give some to Obama, just to pay for all the mailings I have received since my Richardson donations. (Hmm... coincidence?)

I just find it hard to send money to someone who has Streisand doing benefits gigs for him. (I'm straight, so Babs means nothing to me.)

I find it even harder to justify giving what little I have to give to non-charitable causes. Most of my giving goes to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital & and Seattle's Union Gospel Mission. I like to help the helpless and those actively looking to regain control of their lives.

Oh, and the easiest "giving" is being a hair farmer for Locks of Love.

Posted by Sir Vic | October 2, 2008 10:10 AM

$25 to Obama. And I'm an actor who thinks a $4.99 package of miso is a splurge.

I'm gonna go give him some more!

Posted by Ariel | October 2, 2008 10:11 AM

$80 bucks. My husband, the Hillary supporter, was unhappy with the $30 during the primaries, but the $50 during the general was bonus money, so he couldn't say anything.

Posted by Gitai | October 2, 2008 10:11 AM

I'm not even American and I donated to Obama (bought a T-Shirt)

Posted by DavidC | October 2, 2008 10:14 AM

I'm in the $51-100 group. I was also an Obama delegate through the County Convention, for what it's worth.

Posted by Dod | October 2, 2008 10:21 AM

Around $300 so far in $25 increments. If I can buy a better future, then I'll thrown down.

Posted by Sir Learnsalot | October 2, 2008 10:21 AM

We've been giving about $100 a month to Obama, and cut back on other expenses to do so (Showtime, Vonage, cable modem, vast varieties of journals and magazines, etc.)

I figure it'll cost us a WHOLE lot more if Obama doesn't win.

Posted by Miss Poppy Dixon | October 2, 2008 10:21 AM

$100 each to Burner, Gregoire, and Obama. I stopped giving money to Obama after the FISA vote, but I'd donate again now if it got close. Instead I think I'll give to Gregoire and especially Burner. I'd love to be represented by Burner.

Posted by DJSauvage | October 2, 2008 10:31 AM

$250 when McCain pulled his back to DC stunt.
$35 or so last October at a "Bowling for Obama" fundraiser at the Garage. This was before everyone found out he can't bowl.

Posted by Westlake, son! | October 2, 2008 10:34 AM

$0

If I had money to give to a Presidential campaign I would give it to charity first. I was turned off to giving to when Hillary bragged about how a kid sold his XBOX to contribute to her campaign (about $300) and that the confetti and balloons bill for the event came to about $5,000.

Posted by elswinger | October 2, 2008 10:34 AM

$365 in small increments since the Iowa caucus. THe 25 dollars start to add up. I'll try to get up to 500 by the election.

Posted by cbc | October 2, 2008 10:36 AM

I donated $0. Sadly. But honestly all my campaign donations until 2012 went to John Kerry, and when I get campaign calls I say, "I gave all my money to John Kerry, who wasted it. Why don't you hit him up for some cash?" And I'm not kidding. I stupidly went into debt for Kerry and even volunteered my time at the expense of paid hours. Can't afford either this time around.

Truthfully, if I thought Obama needed even more cash, I'd donate, though. But he doesn't.

Posted by Simac | October 2, 2008 10:38 AM

I've given $220 so far and plan to give another $100 this month.

Posted by Ramdu | October 2, 2008 10:41 AM

i donated $15 to moveon.org - for my obama t-shirt. I guess it's supporting obama as well though.

Posted by Angelika | October 2, 2008 10:42 AM

Question: if I donate, will I get stupid mail and phone calls from the Democratic party, like, forever?

Thanks but no thanks.

Posted by w7ngman | October 2, 2008 10:45 AM

$150 from me- I had a "Yard Sale for Change" and raised $200. $50 went to my costs, $150 went to Barry!

Posted by CattyMaran | October 2, 2008 10:46 AM

w7ngman, no, no you wont. I havent gotten any.

Posted by Bellevue Ave | October 2, 2008 10:49 AM

@8, @23 and the rest of your sock puppets...

All lies. I'm pretty sure the truth becomes a lie when it comes out of your mouth

Posted by elenchos | October 2, 2008 10:52 AM

$300 in $25.00 increments since Edwards dropped out.

(I know, I know...)

Posted by demolator | October 2, 2008 10:52 AM

$300 to Obama in total. $100 during the primary, then $200 the day McPain/Quaylin pulled ahead in 538's simulations.

Posted by Mike in Renton | October 2, 2008 10:54 AM

A few hundred. I'm not sure of the total, because I'm lazy, but I've been giving $25-$75/month for several months now.

Posted by Cow | October 2, 2008 10:58 AM

I'm really glad folks on the slog are being generous. I'd like to echo the pitches above for not JUST giving (important though it is) and getting out and helping. Obama has WA wrapped up, so if you're volunteering for him for god's sake make sure you're calling swing states or something vaguely useful. But the gov's campaign, Burner's race, Peter Goldmark, and the various propositions ALL are very close, and the work you put in could make the difference. Volunteer for a campaign or an organization that's working on these races. For many of them, a few hours of your time is worth more than a donation, though both would be great!

Let's make sure that when Obama wins, we don't have anything locally to be depressed about!

Posted by do something | October 2, 2008 11:01 AM

#76, you think Julie in Chicago is SusanUnPC?

You're fucking unhinged, dude.

Posted by w7ngman | October 2, 2008 11:08 AM

I am going to try and give money soon, but I have signed up to be a volunteer for the Dem party. I thank anyone who has given, since my charity money went to KEXP this July, I need to scrounge some more money.

Posted by Original Monique | October 2, 2008 11:15 AM

I'm a semi-regular commenter, but I'll stay anonymous for this. I'm giving $25 a month to Darcy and Obama, plus money to Gregoire, the DSCC, the DCCC and Peter Goldmark (running against the odious Sutherland). I want us to run the tables!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:18 AM

$250 for the general. Over $2000 during the primaries. But money is too tight right now to give as much as I want to. (Thanks to our idiot president!)

Posted by seattle mike | October 2, 2008 11:24 AM

I'm closing in on $1,000 right now. I've made cuts in other areas and other areas of giving. I realize that there are other good charitable organizations that deserve donations too, but after the last 8 years, I don't see how those organizations and causes aren't better off getting Obama elected than they would be with my $1000 in their pockets. Obviously, it's difficult for many people and every penny helps, but I've just prioritized this. Just gave another $30 this month and will be giving more after the 15th. Hope to get over $1000 myself, with my wife adding about $500.

Oh yeah, I'm a 2nd year law student and my wife is a government lawyer (so, no big bucks), but you do what you can do.

Posted by Ed | October 2, 2008 11:25 AM

so far i've given $105 in small increments from my unemployment checks.

and WTF with the people who say there are charities more deserving instead of giving to obama's campaign?! any charity will have a harder time helping their communities with a republican in the house. having a dem win is seriously the best charity of them all!

Posted by teddy b | October 2, 2008 11:27 AM

@76 -- @81 is right. You're off your nut.

Posted by Fnarf | October 2, 2008 11:30 AM

I have given, I think?, maybe $200 or 250 to Obama. $150 to the Democrats nationally; $50-100? for Ohio Democrats; $50 for the county democrats; and $200 (about, maybe more?) to various local democratic candidates for the US House, state legislature, and county seats. We have to build from the bottom up, people!

Additionally, I am a public official serving democratic interests in a small municipality--e.g. we passed new laws adding gender identity to our local non-discrimination laws and are working on creating domestic partner registry/benefits for town workers. So that's my time donation, in an important swing state.

Posted by OH | October 2, 2008 11:32 AM

sound off - i gave 50 bucks back in the spring.

Posted by gary7 | October 2, 2008 11:33 AM

$100. First political donation ever, and I'm 44.

Posted by pox | October 2, 2008 11:42 AM

Should I give $1000 to Obama, or Fannie Mae?

Posted by w7ngman | October 2, 2008 11:43 AM

$2300 for the general, and a bit less for the primary.

Posted by torrentprime | October 2, 2008 11:50 AM

(Various amounts to a few ActBlue pages, more in the $5-10 range, some money to EQCA for no-on-8 stuff, and a little DFA. Tidbit: I maxed out to Obama after Palin's disgusting acceptance speech)

Posted by torrentprime | October 2, 2008 11:54 AM

Ed @ 85 is right, making a donation to Obama may be one of the best things you could do for many do-gooder nonprofits.

Funding under Shrub for many types of programs has either been slashed or criminally misdirected into things like abstinence only or faith-based programs.

Just one example, Obama has promised to lift the ban on using federal funds for needle exchange (only the single most effective means of HIV prevention).

So, yeah I'm in for over $250 so far and probably another 100 or so next week

Posted by gnossos | October 2, 2008 12:05 PM

I'm at about $75 total to Obama, and about twice that to a few state leg candidates. Also, I'm working about 60 hours a week on campaigns, so I think that makes up for it. :)

Posted by Juris | October 2, 2008 12:31 PM

$100.

Posted by kk | October 2, 2008 12:35 PM

I've donated almost $400 to Obama (about half during the primary). I have redirected most of my charitable and political spending this year into his campaign. My (possibly flawed) logic is that the best thing I can do this year for the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, Nature Conservancy, etc, is to help Obama get elected. I even sent Obama my NPR membership money, though his election probably won't help them one way or the other...

Posted by Christy O | October 2, 2008 1:00 PM

$555 to Obama.

$500 to the campaign; $55 in Obama swag.

Posted by als | October 2, 2008 1:05 PM

$20 to Obama right after the Republican VP was announced.

Posted by Justin J | October 2, 2008 1:52 PM

fiddy buckz!

Posted by SippinALatte | October 2, 2008 3:49 PM

I've given $75 total in three separate donations of $25 a piece.

Posted by Donolectic | October 2, 2008 5:41 PM

$200 a month since last February ... it's an investment i am proud to make. obama is one of the few candidates i've donated to that i feel is wisely spending and using my donation.

Posted by chris | October 2, 2008 6:12 PM

I donated $100 to Obama about 2 weeks into the Sarah Palin debacle.

I also gave $150 to Gregoire. I would happily pony up more if I thought her campaign would do useful stuff with it.

Anyone want to drive along I-90 and help me spraypaint "REPUBLICAN" on all the Dino Rossi signs? All the way to...I dunno...Walla Walla? I'll pay for gas, spraypaint, and wine. You bring the ladder.

Posted by MJ | October 2, 2008 9:08 PM

$130 during the primaries. Haven't had much money since then...

Posted by obamatron | October 2, 2008 9:30 PM

Between $400-500. I try not to keep track because I don't have much money and it will just make me sad to think about it. But, I also know that I and the people I care about will be screwed if he doesn't win.

Posted by Papayas | October 2, 2008 9:56 PM

I'm in the 100 to 250 range

Posted by DJ Eternal Darkness | October 3, 2008 1:23 AM

$75 to Obama and $25 to Huckabee.

I had to do the Huckabee donation so that Mitt Romney would drop. AND in a paralell Universe, Huckabee's my candidate. Ex: Healthcare for children of illegal immigrants because it's the right thing to do?!

My girlfriend didn't understand or agree.

Posted by nolaseatac | October 3, 2008 4:22 AM

My boyfriend and I have given $1000 last month. We intend to give another $1000 this month.

Posted by Dan Savage | October 6, 2008 10:02 AM

$75 since the man made me weep after winning Iowa.

Posted by BenJ | October 6, 2008 10:11 AM

I'm contributing by getting indifferent people I know registered to vote and telling them to vote for Obama. So far three people who would never have bothered registering have signed up and are raring to give their votes to Barack based on the info I've fed them. Also an additional (and somewhat racist) "joe sixpack" who was leaning toward McCain because he was impressed by Palin's hunting skills (and his mild distrust of black people) has been convinced (I believe) by me to disregard the ridiculous dog & pony show and vote for Obama. Whether he actually will cast his vote for Barack when he's in the booth is still up for debate I suppose, but personally I think doing this sort of thing is better than throwing money at the Obama campaign. Especially if you don't have much to throw.

Posted by city_kitty | October 6, 2008 10:13 AM

Just $25 since money has been tight the last year.

Posted by Dave | October 6, 2008 10:19 AM

My first time donating too. (I'm 38) My husband and I each donate $25 here and there as inspired by aw shucks Palin. I think we're at about $200 so far which seems like a ton to send to the amorphous blob known as "the campaign" but it's some excellent retail therapy and if we helped pay for the Keating 5 ads I couldn't be happier.

Posted by hillpagan | October 6, 2008 10:21 AM

$30

Posted by vooodooo84 | October 6, 2008 10:27 AM

I donated $100, my first campaign contribution ever. Now I get to feel like I helped and have the pleasure of deleting about 5 important email messages per day from the Obama/Biden campaign.

Posted by jackie treehorn | October 6, 2008 10:40 AM

$25 after reading about Palin's terrorist comments. I'm hoping for more after I get my paycheck this week.

Posted by Jen | October 6, 2008 10:46 AM

$25 during the primaries, $50 immediately after the selection of Palin. I figure this money will come back to me, with interest, if Obama gets elected, in the form of his economic policy and job creation in the field of alternative energy.

Posted by kebabs | October 6, 2008 10:55 AM

~$200 for Obama (all in small donations, so I lost count), and even more for Gregoire. Each time I feel the urge to make a political donation, I remind myself that most Washington Obama supporters appear to be Rossi-hugging social conservatives, who gleefully want to throw away my domestic partnership. Trust me, I live in north Seattle, where they don't hide such notions. So, Gregoire gets more of my political $$.

Posted by James | October 6, 2008 10:56 AM

I've given around $200 so far, I think. It's hard to keep track because its been in a lot of small amounts.

Posted by Georgia Guy | October 6, 2008 11:01 AM

$100

Posted by AMB | October 6, 2008 11:07 AM

We've given at least $25 a month since January, with some bigger bursts - $100 bucks after the convention, $30 and $50 here and there. I'd estimate that we've given about $450 so far. We'll give a little more as soon as I can. I imagine it'll be about $500 when all is said and done.

We have a kid and we're on one low income, so we've done the most we can. I talked my mom into giving $150. I can claim that, right? She wouldn't have given anything without me pushing her. I claim that $150, too.

Posted by Tina | October 6, 2008 11:17 AM

I fired off $200 shortly after the nomination of Palin. Before that I had been procrastinating and unsure of whether I would give, although I gave Kerry $100 in 2004, since I had heard Obama was raising an awful lot. But Palin disgusted me so much I figured it was time I put my money behind my man. Earlier this year I gave $200 to Eric Massa who is running a competitive race to unseat a Bush rubber-stamper in my area.

Posted by east coaster | October 6, 2008 11:31 AM

$30 last week. $94 in obama swag from the washington state democrats. am planning on giving more.

Posted by scary tyler moore | October 6, 2008 11:36 AM

About $30 to the DNC, and about $110 to Obama.

I also sent shirts to all my family in Texas--history needs to show that Texas isn't COMPLETELY full of idiots.

Posted by Grubbins | October 6, 2008 11:42 AM

$4160 and counting (primary and general combined) to Obama (will eventually give the max).

$50 to Darcy Burner.
$50 to Al Franken in MN.
$50 or more (I forget) to the Dem Party.

And you can check up on all your friends (and famous folk) at: http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/

Posted by Andy Niable | October 6, 2008 11:43 AM

i've supported obama a little over $300 so far - about $25 per "event" - such as winning the nomination, debate with mccain, end of the month...

i will be donating to the other, local candidates as well - darcy, christine, etc.

Posted by jackieoh | October 6, 2008 11:54 AM

$1500 total: $1000 after Clinton dropped out, then another $500 the day after Palin's speech at the RNC. Oh, and $250 to the DNC because I felt guilty when I was talking to the guy who was going door-to-door (since he's actually doing something rather than just logging on, making a donation, then saying "well, I've done my part" like I do).

Posted by sleestak | October 6, 2008 11:56 AM

$20.08

More if you count shipping

Posted by DavidC | October 6, 2008 11:57 AM

I dropped $50 on the Obama campaign.

Posted by Faber (Formally Fonky) | October 6, 2008 12:07 PM

bought $125 worth of gear from the website. does that count?

Posted by suz | October 6, 2008 12:09 PM

I've only given $50 - in $25, $20, and $5 increments because that usually over the course of this campaign represented half of what I had.

If I can brag (?) about Kerry, I gave that sinking ship about five grand through various channels.

This man has to win. Republicans KNOW HOW TO WIN ELECTIONS. If you think this is in the bag for Obama, you don't get out of Seattle much, or you are high.

If you still have money, send it in.

Posted by Grant Cogswell | October 6, 2008 12:15 PM

$2100.00 and proud of it!!!

Posted by Cato the Younger Younger | October 6, 2008 12:29 PM

$300 for Obama so far, the most I've ever contributed to a campaign.

Posted by Bub | October 6, 2008 12:32 PM

@124 - thanks for that link. The map function is very cool - you can see which of your neighbors donated.

I looked up people with my (relatively uncommon) last name who had donated. 44 Democrats gave $121k, and 24 Republicans gave $34k. Go distant relatives of Julie in Chicago!

Posted by Julie in Chicago | October 6, 2008 12:40 PM

$100 to Obama and $100 to moveon.org. Of course by way of thanks my phone is now ringing off the hook with Obama folks even though I've asked them to stop calling. Guess that's what happens when you're in the swing state of VA.

Posted by Sikes | October 6, 2008 12:43 PM

i gave $250,200 to obama (through proxies).

i'm effing rich.

Posted by cochise. | October 6, 2008 1:26 PM

$600 or 700, i'm not sure which. plus another $150 or more to moveon.

... so far ...

Posted by skye | October 6, 2008 4:20 PM

$15. Same that I gave Hillary.

Posted by sloggerette | October 6, 2008 7:41 PM

I'm one of those crazy gays who actually gave McCAIN $200 back in 2000. I had just come out. What can I say? (PS: I still get his fundraiser letters by snail mail. Loser.)

I'm up to $1100 or so for Obama this cycle, but it's interesting what's been compelling me to login and give:

-- Oprah's big event in South Carolina: $250 (Okay, maybe this is money well spent)

-- Night of Iowa Caucus: $100 (Yes, he can!)

-- Night of Super Tuesday: $250 (He's going to need help, but he's on his way.)

-- Hillary's ferocious April and May: $0 (Dude, you're not getting another dime unless you're going to fight!)

-- Night of Sarah Palin's convention speech: $500 (Hell no! We can't let this happen!)

Posted by oneway | October 6, 2008 9:21 PM

Not really sure how much, but all under the reporting limits per contribution, on purpose.

Then again, I've helped out with quite a few fundraisers and other volunteer activities, so it's all gravy.

The thing about this year is it's not people like Dan and me maxing out, it's about EVERYONE giving what they can - the power of small amounts by large numbers of people has destroyed the vaunted GOP fundraising machine and sent them screaming back inside the gates of Hell.

Every amount helps.

Posted by Will in Seattle | October 6, 2008 9:46 PM

oh, and gave way way more to various other groups, like Fremont Arts Council, and various other local groups.

Posted by Will in Seattle | October 6, 2008 9:59 PM