Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« She's a Republican Strategist ... | Plucker »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

“Kill him!”

posted by on October 15 at 11:32 AM

The Secret Service is investigating the threat to Obama’s life made at a Palin rally yesterday. Good to know.

RSS icon Comments

Finally, I was wondering when they'd get around to that. The Secret Service investigates all death threats to whomever they are protecting.

Posted by Sean | October 15, 2008 11:49 AM

I'm disgusted that Palin & McCain tolerate that at all. They can sling all the shit they want - feces-hurling during a campaign is a time-honoured tradition - but when their audience starts to holler death threats, they shouldn't just stand there with that smug look on their faces. They should be shouting it down.

Regardless of who wins, an assassination will fuck the country up. Someone who really loves America like the Republicans say they do would not encourage - even tacitly - the prospect of the death of the POTUS.

I'm just completely flabbergasted that McCain & Palin tolerate this kind of mob mentality at their rallies. It can't be winning them any votes from anyone who isn't already firmly in their camp.

Posted by breklor | October 15, 2008 11:57 AM

The McCain/Palin campaign as an organization, is no longer trying to elect John McCain. With Palin as a leader/figurehead, the organization is creating and solidifying a neo-Know Nothing movement. The organization and Palin have consistently followed a strict script all fall: trashing Obama and stoking racist/nativist flames. No matter what McCain himself or surrogates like Lindsay Graham declare is the "new" strategy, Palin and the org don't care. Its irresponsible for the mainstream media to pretend the man John McCain has any input or control anymore.

I'm not saying McCain doesn't approve, he may or may not, its irrelevant now. He's lost control of the campaign along with his physical and mental capabilities.

Posted by mareada | October 15, 2008 12:18 PM

I'll be keeping an eye on Snopes to see how this one pans out:

Posted by Seajay | October 15, 2008 12:41 PM

@4 Or you could watch the video clip of the rally, where the "Kill Him!" is loud, clear, and obviously directed at Obama.

Thank God the Secret Service doesn't have the John Bailo "It's okay to make death threats against Obama if there's only one person doing it" attitude. Today's Republican seems to lack even the barest semblance of moral fiber.

Posted by Hernandez | October 15, 2008 12:58 PM

Because lefties have never done anything like this. Didn't some psycopath make a movie about the hypothetical assassination of Bush? That's cool? Go watch a Howard Dean rally. That is MOB MENTALITY.

I can't tell you how many liberals I've talked to during the Bush Admin. that said something along the lines of "I'd love to kill him" or "I hope he gets assassinated or has a stroke in office."

What I love about the Slog is that these lefty readers are just as retarded as the idiots on the far right. You both make whatever false statement you can to support your own candidate and you don't realize how you are doing the exact same thing as your enemy on the right.

Posted by Will | October 15, 2008 1:19 PM

@6, the cool thing about the secret service is they can't listen to private conversations you have in your own house. Yelling "kill him" in a crowded rally is a little different.

I'm pretty sure the only death threats ever posted on this blog were against Chelsea Alvarez-Bell, and Mr. Poe is currently doing time in Guantanamo Bay for his abhorrent actions.

Posted by jrrrl | October 15, 2008 1:35 PM

The real damning thing re: the Republican trolls on Slog is that they're making every excuse for this type of behavior. If it's not "It was only one guy in the crowd. so it's OK", it's "but I heard a liberal say he hoped Bush would drop dead in private conversation, so it's OK".

There is really no excuse for this kind of behavior. There is no excuse for making death threats at a political rally against the opposing candidate. To not even do so much as admit that hints at a real moral/ethical deficit on the part of the conservatives here on Slog.

Posted by Hernandez | October 15, 2008 1:52 PM

@ 6 - Discussing Bush and Obama with this issue is like comparing apples and oranges. One is a presidential candidate, who if elected will be our first African-American president - in a country with an infamous history of violence toward African-American leaders and all. The other, as president, has preemptively invaded a country and started a war which has caused a loss of lives in the six digits, has authorized torture in violation of the Constitution and international laws, has overseen unconstitutional wiretaps of US citizens, and one could argue, via allowance of deregulation, has caused the US (and possibly the world) to enter another Great Depression. For all of this and more I haven't mentioned, I would support having George W. Bush go on trial and be convicted of High Treason and war crimes. Enough said.

Posted by Madashell | October 15, 2008 2:47 PM

"Sarah Palin needs to be ganged raped by black thugs" says Sandra Bernhard. That would be justice.

But it is wrong for Obama supporters to say anything bad about our candidate. As a Jew I believe Obama is best for Israel and will bring Tikkun Olam to America.

America is so sexist and racist. Seattle is even worse. When I moved here from New York I knew it was hicksville. But Seattle is terrible. I am glad The Stranger is a voice for the alternative Marxist, Jewy Seattle. I love Charles and Dan! Don't tell my girlfriend!

Posted by Issur | October 15, 2008 3:20 PM

I think the Secret Service is going to be very busy for the next eight years.

Posted by Vince | October 15, 2008 4:12 PM