Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Movie Night at Havana: The War... | Oil! »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

While Mark Warner Is Talking About Business…

posted by on August 26 at 19:05 PM

… let me take a few moments to expose my personal biases re: Hillary Rodham Clinton day at the convention.

First, as most of you know, I became a full-fledged supporter of Barack Obama in the fall of 2007órather late, as far as my picking candidates goes. I loved Al Gore from 1992 on and immediately wanted him as the D nominee in 2000; I helped campaign for Howard Dean throughout the summer of 2004. A lot of my delay this time around was because I wanted to hear from Hillary Clinton. But as the primary race developed, I became increasingly annoyed that her campaign was relying so heavily on Bill Clinton’s legacy. I wanted Clinton to talk about her Senate record, not ’90s policies and decisions she had very little authority over. And Obama impressed me with his nuanced thinking on Iraq and unabashedly intellectual approach to policy making.

But! I am a huge fan of noisy democracy, and Iólike many journalists, whether they admit it or notówas kind of excited about the prospect of a brokered convention. Even though Obama narrowly escaped that spectacle, I’m still hoping that Hillary’s delegates get their public roll call vote on the floor of the convention. I don’t believe that delegates should change their pledged support for a candidate for the sake of appearances.

I still yearn for the conventions where actual decisions were made. Theater is great and all, but pure, relentless publicity can be draining.

So, go Hillary! I’m very much looking forward to the LiveSlogging her speech. (Looks like we’re running about 15 minutes late, according to the schedule, so I expect we’ll start around 7:15 Seattle time.) I wasn’t able to get on the list for the Emily’s List event HRC headlined this afternoonóeither Friday was too late to request tickets or they’re not fond of the Strangeróbut an Obama delegate texted me to say it was “inspiring.”

RSS icon Comments

Mark Wagner immediately pissed me off by celebrating his business heritage in the cell phone industry. The man's materially degraded society!

Seeing Lily Ledbetter talk about getting stiffed by Goodyear was much more to my tastes, even if she was well roped in by whatever. You could see the seethe.

Posted by mike | August 26, 2008 7:14 PM

thanks Annie. finally someone on the slog other than PC is understanding the nuances of a Hillary delegate. We want that PUBLIC vote that has been given to every candidate...and we see some sexism in the prohibition from being able to record this vote. We want Hillary's run recorded in history here rather than a fight with the party...then we can all vote for Obama.

Go Hillary!

Posted by elva | August 26, 2008 7:21 PM
we see some sexism in the prohibition from being able to record this vote

No one's prohibiting Clinton's delegates from doing anything. They, and Hillary herself, are getting unjust criticism for it, yes, but no one is blocking a vote.

Posted by keshmeshi | August 26, 2008 7:24 PM

actually - the PARTY is strongly discouraging a vote in order for the PARTY to be united......

Posted by elva | August 26, 2008 7:32 PM

No!!!! No public vote! No roll call! We can't stand for it. It would be a travesty! Obama doesn't owe these crazy old cat ladies a roll call vote!!!!! Why, if they gave her a roll call that would cause, uh, something terrible to happen!

Oh, wait... Why should I give a shit? Have your roll call if that is your idea of fun. Seriously. Why not?

Posted by elenchos | August 26, 2008 7:33 PM

Pat Schroeder has 8 recorded votes....Hillary received more than 8 and should be recorded as such especially as we celebrate today's anniversary for the right for women to vote...

Posted by elva | August 26, 2008 7:40 PM

The PARTY, elva? Isn't that YOU, give or take 50%?

Posted by mike | August 26, 2008 7:58 PM

As a "journalist"?

Annie, you write movie reviews. Don't get too pie-in-the-sky romantic about yourself just because you're at the convention.

Posted by Non | August 27, 2008 7:21 AM

@8: Oh, shush. I won't be either a film critic or a journalist as of Saturday--save your gloating for then. Anyway, I didn't call myself a journalist, I compared my feelings to those of journalists. And you dare to call yourself a reader?

Posted by annie | August 27, 2008 10:00 AM

Sowwy annie, good luck at law school

Posted by Non | August 27, 2008 10:44 AM