Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« For Sale at O'Hare Airport Las... | LA Bans Plastic Bags »

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mercury Rising

posted by on July 23 at 16:32 PM

In January, Stranger News Intern Brian Slodysko wrote about toxic fumes coming from the Lafarge cement plant in South Seattle:

South Seattle residents say the odor [from Lafarge’s plant] causes respiratory problems, nausea, and headaches. There are instances where children and staff at nearby Concord Elementary School have been sent home from school after becoming sick during recess or prolonged periods spent outdoors, says David Tucker, a spokesperson for Seattle Public Schools.

Along with the toxic fumes emanating from the plant, a report released earlier today by the Environmental Integrity Group and Earthjustice says Lafarge—which asked the city to allow the company to burn tires at its plant near the Duwamish River—is releasing 30 to 39 pounds of mercury from its Seattle plant every year.

I’ve got a call in to our very own Dear Science to find out what happens when a plant belches out all that mercury. I’d wager it’s nothing good.

RSS icon Comments


why would you "put a call in" to your co- worker when you can just walk over to the next cubicle and ask him?

Posted by munkey | July 24, 2008 8:22 AM

Comments Closed

Comments are closed on this post.