Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Quick, Ken Hutcherson! To the ... | Today The Stranger Suggests »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Jar City

posted by on June 7 at 10:59 AM

Saw Jar City last night: two thumbs up! An entertaining, chilling, slightly magical police procedural. Made me want to move to Iceland.

But what I want to talk about is the poorly punctuated subtitles. There’s nothing more distracting in a film. I was repeatedly ripped out of the thriller’s grip by ellipses with two dots rather than three and misplaced quotation marks. Maybe it’s an affliction of a former copyeditor; maybe it didn’t bother any one else.

What was most galling was the akward typo in the final frame’s giant caption: “English sub—titles by [Name Withheld].” Jeeezus. Awful proud of mediocrity. Proofreaders aren’t that expensive.

(“Subtitles” should be closed up or hyphenated, not interrupted by an emdash. That was obvious, right?)

RSS icon Comments

How akward!

Posted by Eric F | June 7, 2008 11:16 AM

You get what you pay for. (I have a million copy-editor jokes, but only copy-editors think they're funny.)

Posted by six shooter | June 7, 2008 11:23 AM

Closed up, definitely. This is wonderful.

Posted by Fnarf | June 7, 2008 11:25 AM

It's bad enough that they didn't close it up, but to use an em-dash. Sheesh.

My pet peeve is white subtitles in a black-and-white film.

Posted by keshmeshi | June 7, 2008 2:19 PM

As a aid-wearing deafy addicted to subtitles (one really does miss much without them) I totally understand/feel for you. That's gotta suck. It's bad and kinda funny when the news does a film made by responsible adults though...lame.

Posted by catnextdoor | June 8, 2008 12:23 AM

Just the other day I was watching one of the old "Brokeback Mountain" Internet parody videos, which kept repeatedly showing titles containing the word "fish'in"; I wanted to puke.

Posted by MarkyMark | June 9, 2008 12:11 AM

... wow, you guys really have no lives ...

I watched the movie too. I disagree that it mattered.

Now, the eating of sheep heads and other things might have warranted a tad bit of warning for the mostly veggie crowd that watched it ... but SUBTITLES? ... no.

Posted by Will in Seattle | June 9, 2008 12:40 AM