Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Today The Stranger Suggests | Pope Attempts to Smooth Things... »

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Norwescon Saturday: Report One

posted by on March 22 at 12:03 PM

Science fiction afterparties are pretty goddamned awesome. I spent last night flitting from one party to another, although the Intergalactic Slave Traders wouldn’t let me in without an invitation. Apparently, they auction slaves off. “I was auctioned off last year,” said a woman dressed as a pirate, “It was a blast!” Instead, I went to another party and drank some punch called toxic waste—it was made of kiwis and grapefruits and a whole bunch of liquor and dry ice, so it smoked—and found myself pretty loaded after the first glass.

I talked with a small press publisher who was complaining about his distributors: “I finally told them they had to take 7,000 copies of my book because my warehouse—my garage—was totally full and they’d sell out of the copies and they know it and so they really ought to sack up.”

I also talked with a man who used to work in a book warehouse and was nearly slain when a giant palette of Danielle Steele books nearly killed him. “Anything but Danielle Steele,” he said, “would’ve been a perfectly acceptable way to go.”

This afternoon will be a busy one for me, with lots of interviews and panels, so posts will be occasional for the early part of the day. It’s just as well, really, because the convention is sort of subdued at the moment—lots of people are still hung over from the parties that riddled the hotel last night, and a lot of local families have arrived, bringing lots of little kids, which changes the mood considerably.

But not entirely: A swarm of about a dozen Japanese stewardesses were huddled in a corner of the lobby, probably wondering what kind of hell their airline booked them into this time, in the middle of all the Princess Leias and goths and evil elves, and a very old man walked up to them and introduced himself. “This is a science fiction and fantasy convention,” he explained, and after they politely nodded, he asked them: “Do you know what a fantasy is? Do you know that you’re my fantasy?” And then they all walked off together.

RSS icon Comments

So jealous.

Thank you for posting these, so those of us crutching around with a stupid broken foot (aka me) can fully appreciate what we're missing!

Posted by Aislinn | March 22, 2008 12:47 PM

Pure 100% A++ would do business again with that old man.

I think I'm going to use that pick up line soon.

Posted by Graham | March 22, 2008 12:55 PM

"a man who...was nearly slain when a giant palette of Danielle Steele books nearly [crushed] him."

Well, that has forever killed my desire to work at Powell's. I can't think of a worse way to die, except maybe being crushed to death by a palette of Ann Coulter's books.

Posted by yucca flower | March 22, 2008 1:06 PM

"it was made of kiwis and grapefruits and a whole bunch of liquor and dry ice, so it smoked—and found myself pretty loaded after the first glass"

Yes, sir, you are indeed a nerd. One glass... I'd hate to see you inhale the fumes from a shot of whiskey! ;)

Posted by Hahaa | March 22, 2008 1:16 PM

The biggest reason to ever go to Norwescon is because of their after-parties. Why? You really must try the Klingon bloodwine, and Romulan Ale.

Posted by godsactionfigure | March 22, 2008 2:46 PM

Is the woman in the pic dressed up as Nitara from Mortal Kombat?

Or am I just a nerd for noticing that?

Posted by Matthew | March 22, 2008 3:49 PM

Oh, the looks on the Japanese stewardesses faces were priceless!

Posted by mint chocolate chip | March 22, 2008 7:01 PM

I'm rather surprised that a group of Japanese stewardesses would find the notion of a bunch of people running around in funny costumes in the least bit disconcerting.

I mean, compared to most Harajuku fashion, the stuff at Norwescon must look pretty tame.

Posted by COMTE | March 22, 2008 7:20 PM

Yeah! I see my friend Matt in the picture above. He's the owner of New Dimension Games and by the looks of things, he's have a great time :)

Posted by Tish | March 22, 2008 10:22 PM

Paul Constant can hold his liquor. That drink must've been totally choked with alcohol.

Posted by Davida | March 23, 2008 5:00 PM