Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Stranger Personals | Will the Last California Roll ... »

Friday, March 14, 2008

Be True to Your School

posted by on March 14 at 14:59 PM

I went to a public high school in Santa Barbara with Christian Love, son of Beach Boy Mike Love. He hung with the surfers and I didn’t really know him except as “that son of a Beach Boy”. I think we had a Spanish class together.

His first cousin, Kevin Love, currently plays basketball at UCLA, my alma mater. I went to just one UCLA basketball game during my four years of college, spending my Saturdays instead building grand pyramids from cans of Coors Light.

beeramid.jpg

Today, America is on the cusp March Madness, a three-week college basketball extravaganza which will cost U.S. employers a SLOGesque $1.7 billion in worker productivity. The UCLA Bruins should be the West’s #1 seed when match-ups are announced this Sunday.

These are lofty times for the Bruins, but the shot clock winds down on UCLA’s legendary coach, John Wooden. The 97-year-old Wizard of Westwood recently spent two weeks in the hospital, recovering from a fall he took at his home. One wonders how much time the old coach has left. Can this year’s Bruin team, playing with a Woodenesque mixture of unity, toughness and poise, give the Wizard one last taste of March Madness glory?

RSS icon Comments

what do you care? sounds like you're only a 'fan' when they're good..

Posted by jb | March 14, 2008 3:13 PM

I love that picture.

I hate college basketball.

Posted by Dougsf | March 14, 2008 3:16 PM

Can I just say thanks for using the word "basketball" in the body of the post? Because most of these sports posts say things like Sonics or World Series or whatever and assume that is enough information to know which sport you mean.

If only the TV and fashion posts could be so easy to figure out.

Posted by elenchos | March 14, 2008 3:19 PM

Fuck UCLA and their referee-bribing. The call in the Stanford game was egregious enough without adding a completely horrible decision in the Cal game.

I didn't know Kevin Love was related to a Beach Boy, but it makes sense that he is related to the biggest asshole among them.

Posted by kebabs | March 14, 2008 3:44 PM

Dude!

Did you know my sister Marjorie Mary Ruth?

Posted by Will in Seattle | March 14, 2008 3:57 PM

I wonder if Kevin Love is related to Stan Love, author of the biography, "Love in the NBA".

I read the book when I was a kid and I distinctly remember that Stan Love was also related to a Beach Boy.

Posted by I Got Nuthin' | March 14, 2008 4:11 PM

Best post of the day! This is the Bruins' year!

@6 - Kevin Love is the son of Stan Love.

Posted by Mahtli69 | March 14, 2008 5:10 PM