Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« The Thirty Days' Diet | Jenna Bush: Taken »

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Mini Storage and the Womb: A Politically Charged Advertising Masterpiece

posted by on August 16 at 13:03 PM

I am young, poor, and relatively thingless. Nevertheless, this brilliant New York billboard linking storage space to threatened women’s reproductive rights makes me want to march out and rent a closet from Mini Storage:

mini2.jpg

In my new and unnecessary closet, I’ll ponder the duality of my stored coat hangers (are they sinister—or helpful? Sinister? Helpful?), and hang my hopes that some day, groups like New York’s Catholic League—which called Mini Storage’s signs “absolutely disgusting… it’s strange enough that this company feels the need to advertise their pro-abortion stance on their billboards for mini-storage units, but the fact that they have to do it in so vile a way”—will open up their own storage company/baby barn, where they can stockpile their moral indignation somewhere other than up their tightly puckered assholes.

(Via Drudge)

RSS icon Comments

Coat hanger on billboard: Not cool.

Bloody fetus remains on billboard: Totally cool.

Posted by Ben | August 16, 2007 1:11 PM

I have always said the Dems need to make every election about the right to choose. Voting Republican=back alley aboritions with...the coat hanger.

Great billboard and subtle message...

Posted by Cato the Younger Younger | August 16, 2007 1:14 PM

I miss you, Cienna. Where you been?

Posted by giantladysquirrels | August 16, 2007 1:25 PM

It's strange to me that this sign is suddenly so interesting to people. I remember reading about it a couple of months ago, so it's not like it just went up.
I've really come to expect more from the anti-abortion folks. I would expect them to have better surveillance on a modern day Sodom like Manhattan.

At least the sudden attention provoked a press release from the Catholic League's Bill Donohue:
I really enjoyed the part where he evoked the image of "a bloody baby who survived a botched abortion." I'm guessing that would be a wee bit more common an occurrence were abortion illegal, so I'm thinking he's making their point for them.

Posted by Bison | August 16, 2007 11:58 PM

Even better if they also promoted adoption!

Posted by raindrop | August 17, 2007 7:33 AM