Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mitt Romney: "I Stand By What I Said, Whatever It Was"

Posted by on Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

This is why Mitt Romney doesn't do press availabilities:

This is a response to a question about whether Romney stands by a statement he made on Hannity about Reverend Wright that appears to contradict what Romney's campaign said today about Reverend Wright being off-limits. You'll be seeing a lot of this video.

pfffter 1
It is a testament to the stupidity of the American populace that this guy has gotten as far as he has.
Posted by pfffter on May 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Knat 2
Well, no one can accuse you of not having the courage of your convictions if you repeatedly demonstrate you don't have any convictions to start with.
Posted by Knat on May 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 3
I'm actually going to... I'm not familiar with precisely or exactly what I said but I stand by what I said whatever it was I said and with regards to... I'll go back and take a look what was said there...

Does this really have legs? Every "zinger" on Romeny so far in this campaign fades into background noise before the day is over.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on May 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM · Report this
The really sad part is the huge number of Americans who are just going to process that at the most superficial level, and come away with, "The man stands behind what he says" without even exploring the notion that he says all kinds of conflicting things, and a bunch of nonsense, too.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on May 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM · Report this
@3 - what zinger, that every time he speaks to the press they give him an inch of rope that is inexplicably enough for him to hang himself?
Posted by johnjjeeves on May 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 6
Beautiful. Piece by piece I am getting a picture of what a Romney Presidency will look like...

Posted by ArtBasketSara on May 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 7
meh, i'm going to give him a pass on this one. it's funnier in text than audio.
Posted by Max Solomon on May 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
pfffter 8
@3 It has more legs than any argument you've put forth in support of your candidate.
Posted by pfffter on May 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 9
I think the Obama campaign should just run clips from all the debate footage for future "attack" ads....it's a shame that there is such a long gap between those hilarious/maddening debates and the actual election.

*sniff*... this clip reminds me of those heady days.
Posted by ArtBasketSara on May 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
COMTE 10
@3:

It only needs enough legs to get Mitt through to the next incoherent blathering that dribbles out of his pie-hole.

Which should be in about...3...2...1...
Posted by COMTE on May 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 11
@8, actually, I must say, it is kinda cute the way you do that pffft thing.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on May 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM · Report this
pfffter 12
@11 Thanks, hon.
Posted by pfffter on May 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this
blip 13
@3 He is standing by "whatever he said" even though "whatever he said" is at odds with "whatever he said" another time. This specific incident doesn't need legs of its own because it fits into the larger narrative about Romney's lack of convictions.
Posted by blip on May 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
rob! 14
@3, you've almost got it. Just switch the m and the o, then the n and the e.

R-m-o-n-e-y.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on May 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 15
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know that's the way it will always be. Is that clear?"

Posted by Urgutha Forka on May 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
@3 By itself, it has no legs. Spliced into an attack ad, it'll work quite well - clip of Romney saying "I like firing people" followed by this clip, clip of Romney saying "Corporations are people" followed by this clip, clip of Romney saying "I'm unemployed" and "I'm middle class" followed by this clip...

Depending on which state you live, expect to see this clip in attack ads... Thank you Gov. Romney.
Posted by searunner on May 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
switzerblog 17
@4, see @3. You are exactly right.
Posted by switzerblog on May 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM · Report this
labman57 18
If I didn't know otherwise, I would have guessed that this was a gag line taken from a Marx Brothers movie.
Posted by labman57 on May 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM · Report this