Thursday, September 4, 2014

Seattle Cop Defends Killer of Michael Brown, Accuses Obama of Racism

Posted by on Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM

shutterstock_135546164.jpg

After the fatal shooting of unarmed teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, last month by police officer Darren Wilson, a Seattle Police Department sergeant jumped to the defense of Wilson—who is now the subject of a grand jury investigation—and was infuriated by the Obama administration's response to the shooting and subsequent protests in Ferguson.

Sergeant Christopher Hall wrote on his Facebook profile on August 19, "In light of the Ferguson hashtag, DontShoot, I'm starting the hashtag #DontRobStores and #Dontpunchcops." And last Thursday, he posted a link to fundraising page for Wilson that sells t-shirts saying in big block letters, "Don't attack a police officer. Don't get shot."

On August 20, at 3:43 p.m., Hall, changed his profile image to a police badge that says, "Officer Darren Wilson I Stand By You."

SPD officials said they are considering a formal investigation into Hall in response to this story.

The postings seem to imply that the fatal shooting of Brown—an unarmed black teenager killed by a white cop—was an appropriate use of force during the incident, even though there's a dispute between witnesses and Ferguson police about whether Brown and Wilson were scuffling or not at the time of the gunshots. Hall's viewpoint may be particularly concerning for a Seattle cop, given that the SPD is under a federal court order to reform a pattern of excessive force and troubling practices with racial minorities.

Beyond that, Hall's views, judging by his Facebook page, appear to be that civilians are naive, weak creatures, while, according to his posts, police officers like him are "badass motherfuckers" who need military-style equipment.

SPD spokesman Sergeant Sean Whitcomb says the department is looking into Hall's prolific Facebook activity and that it's too early to say if his wide-ranging comments—which also include calling President Obama a "wuss" and accusing the president of "racism"—violate department policies. A decision is pending from the chief on whether to launch a formal misconduct investigation.

I reached Sergeant Hall by phone at his West Precinct office this morning and read quotes from his Facebook page verbatim, offering him the chance to explain his comments. "I'm not looking at what I wrote," he said, and refused to comment. When I said I could send him screenshots of what he wrote, he said I shouldn't bother. "I don't know you, and I have no interest in discussing it with you," he told me.

Direct comments and screenshots from Hall's Facebook page are below the jump.

They include:

• "If you don’t like the 'militarized' police, then don’t commit crimes—the odds of you encountering an officer drops dramatically when that single factor changes... Regardless of how you feel about the police, the sheepdogs will continue to protect the resentful sheep from the wolves."

• "It is even more disgusting that President Obama did break away from his vacation and golf to address the situation in Ferguson, MO and send his condolences to Michael Brown’s family," Hall wrote on August 18. "Your actions speak louder than words Mr. President, and your intentional division of this country and overt racism is an embarrassment."

• "Because he's a wuss," Hall wrote in the caption for an article he shared about President Obama's reasons for not taking the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

• On August 21 at 9:30 a.m., he shared a link to a Fox News article and added a caption that accused Attorney General Eric Holder of "feeding the racial divide." A commenter on the post said, "Not like he knows anything about law enforcement or anything." Hall liked the comment. He would not say whether he believes Holder knows nothing about law enforcement over the phone. He only said, "I don't think he's ever been a police officer or been to a police academy." (Ironically, conservative protesters who said they wanted to arrest Holder claimed victory earlier this year after he canceled a speech to an Oklahoma police academy.)

• On August 28, Hall shared a link to a page raising funds for Wilson, the Ferguson police officer who killed unarmed black teenager Mike Brown two weeks ago. The linked page sells T-shirts that say in big block letters, "Don't attack a police officer. Don't get shot."

• And on Tuesday, he shared a rant written by someone else about policing that included this line: "We do the things that the vast majority are too soft, too weak, too cowardly to do."

A sampling of screenshots:

dontpunch.png

Screen_Shot_2014-08-27_at_5.15.15_PM.png

tshirt.png

Screen_Shot_2014-08-27_at_5.19.14_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2014-08-27_at_5.19.03_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2014-08-29_at_1.14.19_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2014-08-27_at_5.22.37_PM.png

Most of Hall's Facebook activity seems to occur before or after normal business hours—many of the aforementioned posts have morning and evening timestamps. But not all of it. He changed his profile picture to the "I Support Darren Wilson" badge during the afternoon. (Before that, his profile picture was a t-shirt that read, "Sergeant. Because Badass Motherf***er Isn't An Official Job Title in the Police.")

SPD's social media directive, which you can read in full here (PDF), advises its employees that they can be held liable for social network activity that is "harmful to another person's emotional state, defamatory, or an impermissible intrusion into another person's privacy."

"Police officers have a right to engage in politically-charged speech when they're not on the clock," explains Seattle police spokesman Whitcomb. "It’s really gray as far as the directive goes... If you're on duty and you’re making these remarks, that’s going to get a closer look." He said it would be up to SPD's Office of Professional Accountability to handle an investigation into the comments. OPA Director Pierce Murphy says he's discussed the case with Chief Kathleen O'Toole and is waiting to hear how she intends to deal with it.

And what about the police union that represents Hall in disciplinary matters? In the Seattle Police Officer's Guild newsletter, Hall regularly wrote the Officer of the Month column from 2006 to 2009.

I asked SPOG president Ron Smith whether he would agree if someone said, "If you don’t like the 'militarized' police, then don’t commit crimes."

"I don’t agree with that at all," he answered immediately. "There’s no room for that type of rhetoric. I don’t think it’s helpful to any police officer anywhere. Because we don’t come to work to be militarized."

After I told him Officer Hall had said exactly that, and he perused Hall's Facebook page, Smith said, "I don’t think this violates any policy per se... I just think everybody, including him, needs to be mindful of the perception created surrounding your comments in light of your profession."

He said he tells new recruits, "If you can’t say it in front of your grandma, don't say it."

Minutes after my conversation with Smith yesterday, Hall closed public access to his Facebook profile. This morning, I asked him why he did that. "Just changing the settings on my account," he said. "I didn't realize it was that wide open."

1 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
When it comes to freedom of speech, law enforcement need to be a bit more careful due to the fact that a defense lawyer for someone they arrested could use whatever they publicly say against them in order to sway the jury that officers arrested the person based on a prejudice rather than whether or not an actual crime was committed.
Posted by apres_moi on September 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM · Report this
TVDinner 3
Ugh. What a meathead.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on September 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
America is such a wonderful place to live!

BTW, the next time a cop gets shot and killed in the line of duty I'm going to assume the cop initiated and escalated the situation. I mean that's what this piece of shit is implying about us "civilians", right?

And SPD, that money you want us voters to approve this fall? Don't expect this guy to vote yes. Reform yourself and then we'll talk about money.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on September 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM · Report this
I.C. Deadpeople 5
Chris Hall is a wuss.
Posted by I.C. Deadpeople http://www.16ghost.com on September 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM · Report this
kellyllek 6
i think this guy might be mentally retarded. it's not nice to make fun of people with mental disabilities.
Posted by kellyllek http://www.youtube.com/user/pike024 on September 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM · Report this
DOUG. 7
Are the undercover SPD cops wearing Packers jerseys at Century Link Field tonight protecting us from the wolves, or dressing up like one?
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on September 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM · Report this
As a criminal defense attorney I am seething at this idiot's comments. This guy not only needs a time out he needs a psych eval to determine whether or not he is fit for duty at this point based on the obvious anger management issues he has. Going into any situation with this mindset has already escalated the situation before the encounter ever begins. He is nothing but a bully with a badge and a walking liability.
Posted by jwlsesq on September 4, 2014 at 3:40 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 9
Good god, another nightmare public servant. SPOG is a curse, just a curse. Shit shit shit.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on September 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM · Report this
As of 2011, we paid Sergeant Christopher G. Hall #6366 of the Seattle Police Department's West Precinct, hired in February of 1999, $112,175 per year.
Posted by Phil M http://twitter.com/pmocek on September 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM · Report this
This kind of thing makes me really uncomfortable. This guy sounds like an ass, but it's difficult for me to see anything here that should be actionable. People like this should be under the microscope, but all Seattle cops should be at this point. Being a right wing asshole off the clock shouldn't harm one's career if that's all there is to it. There's a lot of downside for people all over the political spectrum if we're going to scrutinize and weaponize social media against our enemies. There's enough actual misconduct in the SPD; let's focus on that.
Posted by david jw on September 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM · Report this
This is NEWS? Who cares? Oh liberals I guess care what a cop does on his own time? Oh I bet all the lefties will say what he says reflects how he acts as a officer. Well I guess you are correct he believes like many our president is a joke! Also that you should not attack a police officer? Ya that may be good advice. Also Eric Holder doesn't know what it's like to be a Cop? No he doesn't, but he sure is good at arming the bad guys.
Posted by Guy-Epic on September 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM · Report this
DOUG. 13
@10: Hall made $123,000 last year.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on September 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM · Report this
venomlash 14
One of my uncles is a cop who spent several years of his career in charge of safety at a police firing range. I wonder what he thinks of the surplus military gear going to municipal law enforcement. Maybe I'll ask him.
Posted by venomlash on September 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM · Report this
He also posted this on the SPOG Facebook page on August 7 in response to a slog post about City Atty Pete Holmes' comment that he hopes people issued tickets for smoking pot in public don't pay them:

"So i guess i can drink a beer in public too, discrimination works both ways - you can't cite me because i do have a home. I think we should have happy hour on the City Hall plaza and call it Hops with Holmes"

He's also a member of the Facebook group "Support Ian Birk, Former Seattle Police Officer"
Posted by gnossos on September 4, 2014 at 4:08 PM · Report this
We need more cops like Officer Hall. Thank you for protecting us from scumbags. Watching Cap Hill'ers getting mugged and assaulted all summer is sweet justice.
Posted by Sugartit on September 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 17
Freedom of speech works both ways.

Sergeant Hall is perfectly free to express his (vile) opinions on his Facebook page.

I am also free to say that I don't think someone with this kind of attitude has any business being a cop.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on September 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM · Report this
I don't approve of the tone of this guy's Facebook comments, but I think a certain amount of frustration over the way the media has covered the situation in Ferguson is understandable. Some news outlets have treated the shooting of Michael Brown as a clear cut case of excessive use of force. I don't think it is. Brown was huge, not to mention high as a kite, and he committed a strong-arm robbery shortly before he was killed. Is it really so hard to believe that a guy who would make himself a felon for a $40 box of cigars would take on an armed officer?
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM · Report this
Yeah it's guys like him that think their job is to be at war with the public that are ruining it for decent officers.
Posted by DJSauvage on September 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Sean Kinney 20
Cops suck. Duh.
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on September 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM · Report this
I hope you are taking a look at all the other public employees who waste the cities time and money posting extremist garbage on facebook. Personally I don't want my child's teacher reposting think progress.... that being said you faggy pussies don't have the physical or mental stamina to put up with or . Police the crazies you have embraced. Keep in mind it has been ethnic immigrants committing bias crimes and rapes and it will only get worse for you urbanist if you keep going after the cops.
Posted by wherestheliberalcopsat on September 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM · Report this
Dougsf 22
@8 - Could this hurt Officer Hall's credibility in court? Should he take the witness stand in a case with similar components (assaulting an officer, a black defendant, etc.), could these comments be used by the defense?
Posted by Dougsf on September 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM · Report this
Only someone with white privilege has the time to cyberstalk a public employee. Does Ansel and rest of the junior stranger staff for that matter live in Seattle o their own dime or do their wealthy parents help them out
Posted by whiteprivilageyo on September 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM · Report this
evolume 24
I often wonder what kind of person would actually want to be a police officer. I mean, what a shitty job. This paints a pretty clear picture of at least one kind of person who would do that shitty job.
Posted by evolume http://twitter.com/evolume on September 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM · Report this
25 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
dnt trust me 26
@23

Ansel and the junior staffers "work" (writing and talking) hard, maybe pay their own rent or mortgage. Although I think for these white privileged sweethearts, they should end all of their articles with "I love my mommy and daddy."
Posted by dnt trust me on September 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM · Report this
Wait I thought liberals wanted well paid public employees. I hate to break it to you. Seattle public school teachers get paid what they are worth. And if we held them to a higher wage we should get better teachers.
Posted by wherearetheliberalcops? on September 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM · Report this
To #20 who said "Cops suck. Duh." When the day comes and you have to call 911, I dare you to say that to the dispatcher. I guess police are not allowed to have an opinion in this so called Democratic country.

And to #18, you are correct. It is not hard to believe that the 6'4" 300lb grown man (and not unarmed teenager) who just assaulted a store owner who was not even 1/2 his size, would be stupid and arrogant enough to attack a police officer. He clearly is not the altar boy that the media is making him out to be.

And to #24, yes it is a shitty job, especially when there are so many ungrateful citizens who are so willing to criticize and you know that a police officer is killed every 59 hours. Why would anyone do this? I'm not sure. But I hope they don't stop because if barbarians like the 6'4" 300lb grown man take over, we are in real trouble.

Posted by yogaqueen on September 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM · Report this
29 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
Matt from Denver 30
@ 24, welcome, SPOG shill.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 31
Make that @ 28.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM · Report this
seatackled 32
Sigh. @28 is going to be posting at least 30% of the next 70 comments.
Posted by seatackled on September 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 33
@32
I predict you'll be wrong yet again, seatackled. You enjoy being wrong a lot, don't you?
Posted by dnt trust me on September 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Seattle: where opposing murder is a radical and offensive idea to its citizens.
Posted by barbecue on September 4, 2014 at 5:39 PM · Report this
@28 Mike Brown was an innocent young scholar just tryna make good. That bigoted little shopkeeper should've checked his privilege. Besides, the notion of actually paying for goods and services is a social construct, and is thus yet another tool of the white oppressor and the system of institutionalised blah blah I get all my opinions from Ta-Nehisi Coates blah blah blah.
Posted by William F. Fuckley on September 4, 2014 at 5:41 PM · Report this
@22 just off the top of my head I think you would have to first show that it was relevant to the case. If he is just testifying to lifting fingerprints at a scene or arresting a burglar I don't see why a judge would allow it. However, if the case involved excessive force, a type of hostile arrest, a contentious interview then I would try and get it in for impeachment purposes. It would depend on a lot of factors but social media is used against our clients all the time. It's only a matter of time before it's used against officers. If this was a client charged with assaulting an officer who had an anti-cop tirade like this you can bet a prosecutor would use it to bolster their case. IMO.
Posted by jwlsesq on September 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM · Report this
I would give my left nut for someone at the stranger to have to call the police for protection.
Posted by awfulpeopleareawful on September 4, 2014 at 5:47 PM · Report this
38 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
Who's actually stupid enough to believe someone not facing serious jail time would go all out and attack a cop or go for his gun. He wasn't under investigation for a robbery. Darren Wilson didn't approach him regardinga crime. Furthermore it's been proven that video was from months earlier, not minutes before. What if Darren Wilson did grab hit him with the car door and grab him by the neck. Most red-blooded Amsricans would punch a citizen for that, but what if a cop did it? Would you fight him? What if, hypothetically, Brown was an animal who robbef a store and attacked a cop; how many times, and where should he be shot? Should the cop shoot him twice in the head after taking him down with the first 4 shots?
Posted by P_LawTon on September 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM · Report this
I've encountered militarized police many times, and I've never committed a crime in my life. Kindly go fuck yourself, Officer Douchebag.
Posted by treehugger on September 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM · Report this
Oh, and if you can't behave like a goddamn grownup in the face of teenagers who happen to be behaving in a way that you personally don't like, turn in your badge and give away your firearms. You aren't mature enough for them.
Posted by treehugger on September 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM · Report this
fuck off 28.
Posted by mirepoix on September 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM · Report this
seatackled 43
@22, @36

Mark Fuhrman's racism destroyed his credibility, didn't it? (I didn't really follow the OJ trial all that closely.)
Posted by seatackled on September 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM · Report this

How about we all stop being ideologues for a second and start being real. We've strayed so far from the facts, my head hurts.

At this point, I have no idea why there even was a confrontation between the police and Mike Brown...how did we get there.

As far as Sgt. Hall, how can you talk with a straight face when you have whole Facebook sites dedicated to #StopSnitchin'?? If its the ethic of a community to protect crooks and gangmembers at all costs, then hell yes, police have a right to gripe.

How about giving up all gang memberships. How about disarming and bringing weapons out to discard stations when there is amnesty? How about no more open air shooting? How about reporting all crime, directly to police and not being ashamed or threatened (you can do it anonymously over the web, remember).

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on September 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM · Report this
45 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
it is a good question why Obama didnt go to the generals funeral who was carrying out Obama's strategy.... perhapes just perhapes the office is right about Obama...
Posted by Tim Keck and Dan Savage are the 1% on September 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM · Report this
@39 As you can see here:

The timestamp on the convenience store security video was August 9, 2014 11:52 AM. Michael Brown was shot dead at 12:01 PM on that date. Under Missouri state law strong arm robbery is a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison. Michael Brown had committed a serious crime minutes before Officer Wilson stopped him. Wilson may not have know that Brown was a robbery suspect, but Brown didn't necessarily know that Wilson didn't know that. Besides, the fact that Brown was willing to risk 15 years in the slammer for a box of cigars priced at $48.99 shows that, on the day he died, Michael Brown wasn't thinking clearly. He might have attacked Wilson for any reason or no reason at all.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM · Report this
48 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
This guy perfectly displays the kind of mentality our police force could very much do without. "Quien es mas macho?" should not be the first question that comes to the mind of an armed civil servant. No good ever comes from it.
Posted by stating the obvious on September 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM · Report this
My questions for SPD spokesman Sergeant Sean Whitcomb are, do police Sgt. Hall's comments reflect the opinions of most of the Seattle police? Do they reflect the opinions of the police department leadership?

Violent crime is decreasing. It is at the lowest level since the 1960s, nearly 50 years ago. So why do the police now treat citizens as if they (the police) are an occupying army and we (the citizens) need to be oppressed at every turn?
Posted by FuzzyRabbit on September 4, 2014 at 10:01 PM · Report this

Violent crime is decreasing. It is at the lowest level since the 1960s, nearly 50 years ago. So why do the police now treat citizens as if they (the police) are an occupying army and we (the citizens) need to be surveiled, bullied and oppressed at every turn?
Posted by FuzzyRabbit on September 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM · Report this
"Brown was huge, not to mention high as a kite, and he committed a strong-arm robbery shortly before he was killed."

Wait, what does size have to do with innocence?

At this point there hasn't been a total report on what was in his system but pot. Here's what doctor interviewed on FOX said (and this is FOX News, folks):

"BADEN: The marijuana itself is irrelevant to what happened." He went on to say if the pot were laced with something else, maybe. So far, we don't know that at all.

And once again, the cop who stopped Brown and his friend DID NOT know what Brown had done. So yes, Brown may have worried that he did but the cop did not have a reason to act aggressively.

I'm thinking that the cops have some checklist of what "bad guys" look like. Works out well for the majority of serial killers, no?

Posted by westello on September 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM · Report this
lauramae 53
Yeah, John T Williams wasn't committing any crime and still got blown away by the SPD.

I suppose he has a right to be a jerk on his own facebook page. It isn't so much what he says as what the posts say about his state of mind as a cop. He has a lot of stereotypes and assumptions about what he thinks happened to justify gunning down a kid. I think a lot of people have certain assumptions about cops who like to swagger about what "badasses" they are. I for one think this guy is exactly someone who who would be unpredictable, unstable and too dangerous to have a gun

That said, I'm betting most cops feel the way he does (which is scary). This issue came up on the campus where I work and one of the campus dispatchers referred to those of us that had an opinion about the Ferguson case as arm chair quarterbacks who should just shut up. That is what the person posted during work hours on the campus forum.
Posted by lauramae on September 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM · Report this
john t 54
Sergeant Christopher Hall is a moron. A retard. I don't mean that in a "I strongly disagree with your wingnut opinions" sort of way, but in a "your intelligence and grasp of logic are scandalously below average" sort of way. I've met 9-year-old children with a more sophisticated understanding of how reality works.

I'm tempted to say Hall should shut up and sit at the kids table because he doesn't understand how to speak like an adult — but I would hate to inflict his toxic stupidity on innocent children. But maybe the children could teach him a thing or two about common sense.

If cops were capable of feeling shame, whoever made the mistake of hiring this imbecile and giving him the authority to brandish deadly weapons would feel obligated to fire him yesterday then immediately commit seppukku for putting the city at risk. Sergeant Christopher Hall is a menace to society.
Posted by john t on September 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM · Report this
@52 A large person who becomes violent can do more damage than a smaller person. Hence, Brown's size lends credence to the officer's claim that it was necessary to shoot Brown despite the fact that Brown was unarmed. The fact that Brown was high when he was killed is relevant because because people tend to be unpredictable when they are under the influence of mind altering substances. Marijuana doesn't usually make people violent, but different people respond to pot in different ways. The robbery shows that Brown was in an irrational and violent state of mind at the time of his death. There's a lot we don't know about the incident and we should all keep an open mind, but the available facts suggest Officer Wilson did the right thing.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM · Report this
Did this meathead post on facebook when he was on duty? If so, then he should be fired (and so should I to be fair). The city should not pay for his ranting, he can do it on his own time.
Posted by trollwacker on September 5, 2014 at 12:40 AM · Report this
57 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
Demilitarize the police.

Do it now.

Every escalation in force is an erosion of the society and the peace that sustains it.

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.
Posted by More force, Less peace...More force is never enough on September 5, 2014 at 6:54 AM · Report this
Holy crap. Doesn't the stranger have anything better to do than this? The last time I checked, political speech was protected, regardless of one's occupation. I know it is difficult for many of you, especially the amateurs that "work" for the stranger, to grasp, but, many professionals are capable of, and successful at, separating their personal opinions and viewpoints from their professional conduct. Chris Hall is one of those. Being a Cop is a job, it is not what defines a person. The human beings that are Cops are just that, not robots, and certainly not the property of the community or city. Stranger, why don't you just go back to writing articles about rubber dicks, and running ads for escorts, leave the real journalism to ...well... anyone else.
Posted by ButtercupSprinkles on September 5, 2014 at 7:26 AM · Report this
pointus 60
Seattle should immediately fire this piece of shit cop... he is obviously mentally unfit for service.
Posted by pointus on September 5, 2014 at 7:26 AM · Report this
@59: This isn't about speech. It's about Christopher Hall's power-tripping derision for the people he is employed to serve and to protect. Nobody here is suggesting depriving anyone of his or her right to speak freely, about politics or about anything else.

Some people are asserting that Mr. Hall has, by expressing himself, demonstrated an attitude that indicates that he is not fit for the job of peace officer in Seattle. I agree. Having this man on the streets with a gun and special authorization to use it without risk of prosecution for homicide is a threat to public safety.
Posted by Phil M http://twitter.com/pmocek on September 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM · Report this
seatackled 62
@59

You seem to know Officer Hall. Are you a fellow officer?
Posted by seatackled on September 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM · Report this
@59

When rednecks with badges get caught showing their asses by wagging their tongues, the cop sluts appear as the first and loudest apologists.

Smoke that pole, girlfriend.
Posted by Ride, Sally, Ride on September 5, 2014 at 9:04 AM · Report this
Mud Baby 64
Final solution for officers with these types of anger issues, lather them up with full military policing gear, herd them into military transport planes and fly them over to the Middle East to fight ISIS. Reasons: they love to swagger around in heavy-duty military regalia, they have a strong aversion for brown people, and they need targets onto which they can unleash their hate.
Posted by Mud Baby on September 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM · Report this
I love the lynch mob mentality of Seattle douchebags like most of the posters here. You call for him to be immediately fired from his job, simply for expressing his opinion. You claim that he is a bad cop based on a biased "article", yet you know nothing else about him. If what you wish upon him were to happen to any of you, you would immediately invoke the free speech argument, and cry and whine and try to sue. Hypocrites.
Posted by ButtercupSprinkles on September 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM · Report this
seatackled 66
@65

You seem to know Officer Hall. Are you a fellow officer? What can you tell us about him?
Posted by seatackled on September 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM · Report this
If fostering hate and supporting a culture very much out unaligned with what is beneficial to the citizens a cop's supposed to be protecting is not unacceptable to SPD,,,,,

maybe

it should be
Posted by barbecue on September 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM · Report this
Nothing he said should be prohibited of anyone, including a public servant. Narcing out someone's completely legitimate Facebook postings is just lazy, whiny "reporting".
Posted by Billy Chav on September 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM · Report this
Hernandez 69
I'm really uncomfortable with a world in which a selection of social media postings can get you fired because it doesn't jibe with your employer's official P.R. I don't think a person's employer should have that kind of authority, thus I don't think Officer Hall should be severely disciplined or fired.

That said, I think Officer Hall is a ticking time bomb. He obviously feels severely threatened, is captivated with the idea of force escalation, and thinks that this community is nothing but ungrateful wretches and dangerous thugs. That's a dangerous mindset for a cop to have, from a public safety standpoint. Guy needs a psych eval, stat.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on September 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM · Report this
@68

You, like so many of your dimwitted kind, are once again confusing freedom of speech with freedom from reprisal.

He's free to post the full contents of his mind on Facebook; I'm certain that forum will more than suffice for the whole of it as a single tweet on Twitter would surely serve you.

He is not, however, free to speak without reprisal, especially when what he says has a direct bearing on his job in law enforcement and creates a poor reflection on the police force that employs him.

Grow the fuck up. If you show your ass or air your laundry in public, expect to be judged by the public accordingly.
Posted by Saying it on Facebook is NOT saying it in private, morons on September 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM · Report this
@69

If a surgeon who clearly identified himself as an employee of a local hospital consistently posted to Facebook about his hate for his stupid patients and about how he would gladly slice, dice, nip and tuck every one of them like lambs to the slaughter so long as their insurance paid him, would you think that the hospital would be wrong to suspend him or fire him?

No professional that I know is free from reprisal for statements that they make in public (that would be the OPPOSITE of PRIVATE), especially when they are easily and clearly identifiable to the public as a representative member of a particular business or organization.

Like others before you, you appear to be confusing freedom of speech with freedom from reprisal...and confusing PUBLIC speech with PRIVATE speech.
Posted by Eschew Obfuscation on September 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 72
@ 65, racism should be an automatic firing offense for all civil servants. You can't serve and protect minorities when you believe they're all beneath you.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 5, 2014 at 12:31 PM · Report this
One of the screenshots includes the following: “For the record, if it turns out that Officer Darren Wilson shot Michael Brown while he was surrendering, then he should be prosecuted for murder. I don’t think that will be the case, but I’m willing to see it as a possibility.”

That doesn’t sound the like racist the article implies. 1st Amendment – funny that the Stranger is going after someone for exercising the same right that allows them to publish.

This is a non-story, next please.
Posted by Read it all on September 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM · Report this
deadrose 74
I'd love it if cops behaving like this could get a (non-pro-forma) psych eval for anger management problems. Also a blood test for steroids or other abused substances. Pass both? OK, you like to talk big and could stand to be reminded of appropriate guidelines. Pass one or neither? Consequences ranging from ongoing counseling to dismissal, depending on severity.

There's really no excuse to have rage-filled time bombs out there with mil-surplus weaponry.
Posted by deadrose on September 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM · Report this
" racism should be an automatic firing offense for all civil servants"

Will there be a test? Multiple choice or long form essay?
Posted by A member of the Tim Hortons crowd on September 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM · Report this
Policing is a full contact sport, and police officer do not have the option of just walking away. Beyond good citizens and the victims of crimes , the police deal with CRIMINALS, there come in 3 types. The first type is the yes type who will comply with all commands, will cease all illegal or violent activity upon command.The second is the maybe type, it's a toss up as to whether they will cooperate, run, or fight, generally this depends on whether they feel they have an advantage over the responding officers.The third type is the no type they will always resist to some extent from harsh language and passive resistance to full on use of lethal force. When dealing with the second and third groups of criminals police have to make decisions in increments of a second to ensure they don't get injured, crippled or killed. They then are judged are supposed to be judged on the basis of their training and their view of the situation as it unfolded.All too often they are judged by media hacks, politicians with no understanding of the situation they were in ( out of ignorance or intentional political driven malfeasance), over the hill flower children, conservative who felt they didn't go far enough and "community"activists with a racial or political agenda.

Police are also citizen neither above the law or their fellow citizens, this however is a two way street. Officers have a right to express political and social as long it's on their own time and uses their own resources, for instance their computer, their face book page and so on. All citizens have basic rights under the constitution but the right not to have your feelings hurt ain't a right. Unfortunately certain segment of the citizenry seem to feel they are a group of very special snow flakes entitling them to have what they accuse the cops of having special rights and protections.

I spent some time in and around your fine city when I was younger and found it to be a fascinating place however it seem s to be making the same super charged leftist mistakes so many other once wonderful American cities have. Too bad in a few years your cops will be fully neutered, the criminals will have run of the city and the hard working citizens will be paying the price.
More...
Posted by WGBJR on September 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM · Report this
@72: "racism should be an automatic firing offense for all civil servants."

Nice. Now, who gets to sit on the Racism Inquisition Panel?
Posted by Billy Chav on September 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM · Report this
Hernandez 78
@71 Well, yes I would think they are wrong to suspend or fire him just for these Facebook posts. I know what the laws say, but that is just my personal opinion. It's a function of our overworked, overstressed, anti-worker labor culture that people are considered to be representing their employer 24/7 - again, this is my personal opinion that I don't agree with the current status quo.

However, I think a high degree of scrutiny is in order here, as I mentioned in my earlier comment I think this guy needs evaluation - I think something like what @74 suggests is reasonable and proper in this case. This guy clearly has issues beyond his Facebook posts that may impair his ability to do his job, and those need to be addressed.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on September 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 79
@ 77, nice. Your inability to argue against the point that racist cops will not serve citizenry justly demonstrates your acceptance of oppression and injustice for minorities.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM · Report this
@77: I asked a straightforward question in direct response to your point. Don't see where inability comes into it, apart from your inability to defend your own position. But this is Slog, where misdirection, goalpost-moving, and moral preening take precedence, and I didn't expect any less from you.

Now get back on your high horse Robespierre, there are tumbrils to pull.
Posted by Billy Chav on September 6, 2014 at 10:04 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 81
@ 80, "Straightforward"? Since when are loaded questions and disingenuous insinuations straightforward?

But you're onto something. On SLOG, defenders of the status quo DO shift the goalposts and misdirect (as you do @ both 77 and 80). Nice work.

Now answer the challenge: how does racism among police NOT prevent them from serving and protecting minorities? (Consider the goalposts moved back to their correct position.)
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM · Report this
@78 If Sgt Hall wanted to blow off steam by saying crazy shit on the internet he should have posted it under an alias like Maddog_20/20 or, uh, Ken Mehlman.

@79 Did Sgt Hall say anything overtly racist?
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 83
@ 81, overtly? Of course not. But like someone who always describe black people as "thugs" for behavior that is not thuggish, this officer's racism is evident in things like charging Obama with racism when there is zero basis for it. His posts are also full of all the buzzwords common to angry old cons (critcizing Obama for playing golf, justifying civilian shootings for decidedly non-capital crimes).
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 84
Make that @82.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM · Report this
@83 I think Sgt Hall is rightly frustrated w/ the widely held belief among liberals that the the shooting of Michael Brown is a clear cut case of excessive force. It isn't. Not to mention the willingness of many elected officials to pander to that belief for short term political gain.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 12:13 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 86
@ 85, I think Officer Hall displays attitudes and beliefs that run deeper than a mere reaction to this one case could explain. And so far no one has alleged that Brown was armed, the prerequisite for posing a threat grave enough to justify deadly force.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 12:24 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 87
Excuse me, make that Sgt. Hall.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM · Report this
@86 You think a beating from a 6'4" 250 pound man doesn't have the potential to cause death or serious injury? On what planet do you spend most of your time?
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 89
@ 88, Earth. How about you? What planet does one unarmed youth have a chance against numerous armed cops, no matter how big and how strong he was? Here on Earth we have a perfect example of how that goes.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 90
Actually I had to look up the case again. Per wikipedia:

According to witness reports and Ferguson police, Wilson drove up to Brown and a friend, Dorian Johnson, and ordered them to move off the street and onto the sidewalk. A struggle then took place between Brown and Wilson through the window of the police car. A shot was fired from within the vehicle and Brown and Johnson began to flee. Wilson left his vehicle and pursued them. Wilson then fired at least six shots at Brown, fatally wounding him. Witness reports differ greatly as to whether Brown was standing with his hands up or moving towards Wilson when he was shot.

So if this is accurate, it still does not support your version, Ken. You can't really beat someone to death through a car window, and fleeing unarmed poses no danger to innocent lives.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 2:10 PM · Report this
@89 Were there multiple officers present at the time Brown was shot? I don't know anything about the incident except what's been reported by the news media but I think Officer Wilson was alone when he faced off w/ Michael Brown. Confronting a very large robbery suspect by himself instead of waiting for backup wasn't a wise thing for Officer Wilson to do but it doesn't make him a murderer.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 92
@ 91, by now you noticed what I wrote @ 90, which makes your answer superfluous. Do you have a response to @90?
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 2:47 PM · Report this
@90 You can reach through a car window and grab a gun. If that's what Brown was trying to do then Wilson was absolutely right to shoot him. At that point Brown would have committed a felony by attempting to assault Wilson and Wilson would have had the authority to arrest Brown. If Brown responded to Wilson's pursuit by attacking Wilson then Wilson would have had the right to shoot Brown some more. I'm not certain Wilson was right to shoot Brown. I think we should wait for the county prosecutor and the FBI to complete their investigations before we come to any definite conclusion about what happened. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of scenarios consistent w/ the available evidence under which Wilson's decision to shoot Brown was perfectly reasonable.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 94
BTW I'm not characterizing the officer as a murderer. The facts are not all known, as you say, and I suspect systematic causes are partly to explain why he used deadly force when it wasn't necessary (which I conclude from what is known).
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 95
@ 93, the deadly threat stopped being a deadly threat when he fled still unarmed. That's why I'm confident that the use of deadly force cannot be justified.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM · Report this
@95 Was Brown fleeing when he as shot?
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 97
He was unarmed and out of reach, and as we agree the officer shouldn't have been pursuing him alone.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM · Report this
@97 I think it was probably unwise for Wilson to pursue Brown instead of staying in his car and radioing for backup. That doesn't mean it was an abuse of power.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 99
I never said it was an abuse of power. Do you have a goid reason for attributing arguments I'm not making to me?
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 100
* good not goid
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 3:33 PM · Report this
@ Ken Mehlman You are being willfully ignorant, yet opinionated, about this incident in a way that speaks poorly of you as a person. The media have been awful about Michael Brown in a way they never would have with a white kid. The police treatment of Michael Brown's corpse was appalling. Their treatment of the community has been appalling. Even if there's some remote way in which this shooting was justified (and it wasn't, but you are obviously committed to playing make-pretend) the response has been a giant example of institutionalized racism and police ineptitude.
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM · Report this
@99 What I said back @85 was that Sgt Hall's disagreeable Facebook comments were an understandable reaction to the way the media has portrayed Michael Brown's death. The fact that they have chosen to describe the incident as the shooting death of an unarmed black teenager instead of that of a violent robbery suspect shows a definite anti-cop bias.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 103
Political speech is not protected, regardless of occupation. Whether you're in the military, the police, or most any public service job, you can't express private views, political or otherwise, that reflect poorly on your agency or service. Any more than the employees of a private company are allowed to publicly embarrass their employer.

What that means is that if you make potentially embarrassing statements, you have to do it in a way that doesn't identify you as a representative of your employer. When a cop is making seriously offensive statements using his police rank and title, images of badges, and other police insignia, then he's representing the SPD.

If an SPD cop wants to say stupid, stupid, stupid shit like this on Facebook, he has to do it in a way that shows no connection with the SPD. Everybody in the military knows it works this way. Everybody who works at Microsoft or General Motors knows it works this way.

But this motherfucker is just too stupid to know how the rest of the world goes about their business. Half of the SPD's fuckups are sheer stupidity. We need smarter cops now.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on September 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 104
@ 102, really? There is no evidence that he was a violent robbery suspect. That's not documented anywhere.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 105
@ 102, further, that doesn't answer my question @ 99. Why are you attributing arguments I have not made to me?
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM · Report this
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM · Report this
@105 Back @86 you wrote "And so far no one has alleged that Brown was armed, the prerequisite for posing a threat grave enough to justify deadly force." That clearly implies that you believe that the shooting was unjustified and therefor an abuse of power.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 108
@ 106, that's a violent robbery? Come on. Besides, you are ignoring the fact that the officer DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS INCIDENT when he contacted Brown.

@ 107, unjustified, yes. Where does it follow that I think it's an abuse of power? Especially guven the context of what I said @94?

I think you should admit to making assumptions about my position.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 4:30 PM · Report this
@106 The availability of that footage is an example of how fucked up this whole thing has been. First of all, it's really just shoplifting with a scuffle at the end. While that's probably robbery under Missouri's expansive definition, it's not the armed stick-up we normally associate with robbery. Second, it's not relevant, since no one has said that the officer was aware of the "robbery." Finally, and most importantly, this footage wouldn't have been released or dispersed if it weren't for the shameful urge to vilify this unarmed kid who was shot
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM · Report this
@108 If it was unjustified, it was an abuse of power. Own it
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 111
@ 110, no. Because it could just be bad police work. Now, never tell me again what to say or think.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM · Report this
@ I'm sorry for telling you what to say or think. If you think that someone can take a badge, a car, and a gun, and use it so irresponsibly that they kill someone without justification, but that's not an abuse of that power, then that's your business
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM · Report this
That was supposed to be @111. Also, I can tell you that I think that's kind of dumb
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 4:48 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 114
I didn't ask you what you think, pemulis, but if unsolicited opinions are the rule, I think it's kinda dumb to draw conclusions without knowing all the facts. (The ones I have drawn are from what is known.)
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM · Report this
@114 This is a forum that does nothing but solicit opinions. Yours, mine, everybody's. if you want to tell me how an unjustified shooting by an on-duty police officer could not be an abuse of power, then I'm all ears (eyes, really). If not, that's fine too
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 116
The key phrase, pemulis, is "without justification." There may still be legal justification (in the form of official police procedure) giving legal justification for this shooting. I highly doubt it, but I won't conclude that until more is known. Abuse of power is committed by individuals. This could be a systematic problem only. I would bet that ultimately it comes down both to bad policing by this officer and systematic problems with procedures and an endemic hostility by the Ferguson PD toward the citizens they're sworn to serve and protect - but again, I refuse to jump to conclusions.

Now, unless you wish to SHOW me all the known facts supporting a reasonable contention that this was abuse of power, I have concluded discussing this with you.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM · Report this
@109 The dictionary defines to rob as to "take property unlawfully from (a person or place) by force or threat of force." I think what Brown did meets that definition. One of the arguments used to assassinate the character of Hero-Cop Darren Wilson is that no person in his right mind would attack an armed officer w/o a weapon. I would argue that no person in his right mind would commit a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison in order to obtain a box of cigars priced at $48.99. The fact that Brown did that minutes before he was killed shows that he wasn't acting rationally on the day he died. It makes the police department's version of events more plausible.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 118
@ 117, "hero cop"? For killing an unarmed, virtually non-violent shoplifter (IF that is in fact what Brown was guilty of)? Puke. You must be racist.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM · Report this
@116 Your words @107 were "unjustified, yes". Meaning, I suppose, that you came to the conclusion that the shooting was unjustified. And, again, if you can come to the conclusion that bad police work, endemic racism, and unjustified shootings are not an abuse of power, that is your business.

That said, I'm not sure why the phrase "abuse of power" is a rubicon that you refuse to cross
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM · Report this
And I agree that @117 is a racist asshole
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 121
I have come to no conclusion, pemulis, other than that the shooting was unjustified because Brown was unarmed. I din't know why that's difficult to grasp.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM · Report this
Also @117 that's exactly what I mean. The taking of property was apparently not by force, but furtive (shoplifting). The leaving the store appears to have been by force. Which is not a crime punishable by death in this country.
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 123
* don't
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM · Report this
@121 Let's stop sparring. I think that it's incompatible to believe that the shooting was unjustified but that that does not constitute an abuse of power. You believe otherwise. Elseways, we agree
Posted by pemulis on September 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM · Report this
@118 Describing Wilson as a 'Hero Cop' was, I admit, a bit trollish. What I think happened was that Wilson ordered Brown and his buddy out of the street in a sarcastic and unprofessional way and that set Brown off and he then became so violent that Wilson had no choice but to shoot him. I suspect that the incident would have gone something like this:

Except that the person the officer talked down to was a big hulking thug instead of a petite college professor. If that's what happened then Officer Wilson would be in the clear legally, but still an asshole.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM · Report this
@ Matt from Denver. I have re-read our argument now that I'm (reasonably) sober, and your position makes no sense. Unjustified killing by police officers is an abuse of power. Bad police work resulting in death is an abuse of power.

And your post @116 is gibberish. There is no police procedure that can justify an otherwise unjustified killing. There is no rule that abuse of power is an individual thing only. Power can be, and is, abused by the widespread implementation of endemic racism all the time. Sheesh
Posted by pemulis on September 7, 2014 at 8:25 AM · Report this
juche 127
"While the West pursues its utopian fantasies with great moral fervor, the rest of the world continues as it has always been — except that they are now colonizing us. . . . Attempts at erecting utopias will ultimately result in huge psychological tension as people are expected to swear allegiance to universalist abstractions even as they see their neighborhoods invaded by non-Whites, even as their jobs are outsourced to foreign countries or taken away by immigrants, and even as they see the political and cultural power of their own group declining — in a word, displacement. In these circumstances, the more selfish and particularist emotions centered around family and ethnic group inevitably bubble to the surface to compete with the universalist abstractions. In the contemporary world these abstractions are being imposed on us by elites — including the Jewish component." Kevin McDonald
Posted by juche on September 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM · Report this
How did Seattle get stuck with so many far right a$$hole cops?
Posted by rbuzby on September 8, 2014 at 3:40 PM · Report this
Why do cops get paid twice what teachers do when police work is one of the top high-paying jobs for college flunkies?

Bonus question: Why do conservatives hate big government, hate unions (especially public employee unions), hate government workers (especially highly-paid ones) - but fetishise police? Could it be that conservatives are really just anti-democratic authoritarian moral absolutists at heart?
Posted by Lou Sainis on September 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM · Report this
@76: "When dealing with the second and third groups of criminals police have to make decisions in increments of a second to ensure they don't get injured, crippled or killed."

Oh cry me a fucking river. It is well-established that police work is not unduly dangerous. Lots more fishermen, cabbies and construction workers are killed on the job, and nurses are much, much more likely to be assaulted than are cops. There is a reason why funerals for cops getting killed on duty make the news and are televised - they are so RARE.
Posted by Lou Sainis on September 8, 2014 at 4:27 PM · Report this
@88 "You think a beating from a 6'4" 250 pound man doesn't have the potential to cause death or serious injury?"

1. State law is very clear that deadly force cannot be used against an attack with hands or fists.

2. Police officers are highly trained and, in addition to firearms, are armed with (a) Taser(s), nightstick(s), knife/knives, pepper spray(s) and any number of other implements designed to kill and maim.

3. Further proof that cops are really a bunch of pussies if they're still worried about a little fisticuffs in light of #2.
Posted by Lou Sainis on September 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
@8: " As a criminal defense attorney I am seething at this idiot's comments."

As a criminal defence attorney, you see these comments from your client's arresting officer, you've won the lottery, right?
Posted by Lou Sainis on September 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM · Report this
@131 can you cite that state law please
Posted by perusing the rcw on September 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM · Report this
LEE. 134
@127

the nerdy dude from Kids In The Hall said that?? I always though better of him...

hey everyone, this asshole is back!
Posted by LEE. on September 8, 2014 at 7:28 PM · Report this
@131. That's ridiculous. Anyone could respond with deadly force if they were being choked, by just the hands.

Since you're such an expert, and they're such pussies, could you come out to Belltown bar closing this weekend and show us your skills.

I had wondered what had happened to Phoenix Jones
Posted by Rex Velvet crony on September 8, 2014 at 9:46 PM · Report this
@131 "State law is very clear that deadly force cannot be used against an attack with hands or fists."

Not in Missouri. You can read more about that here:

Posted by Ken Mehlman on September 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM · Report this

If I were a Seattle resident and my taxes were going to pay this cop's salary I'd be pissed off at his attitude. So he's a sheepdog & I'm a "sheep"? Screw him. He' a sheepdog & I'm the shepherd who feeds his mangy ass.
Posted by Robby on September 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM · Report this
I would imagine the sheep/sheepdog/wolf reference is to an essay by Lt. Col. Grossman.

Posted by Lt. Col. Grossman on September 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM · Report this
Another dirtbag Seattle cop. I'm starting to think the only "reforms" that will work for these neanderthals is if everyone starts carrying a weapon of their own. You'd be amazed how much more respect you get from these clowns when you tell them that your armed as well.
Posted by FM710 on September 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM · Report this
how funny is it that this police officer hired to protect and serve the people of Seattle fell for a satire news article about Wilson being injured. goes to show you they don't hire the smartest people.
Posted by FM710 on September 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM · Report this
Where do they get these assholes? The SPD has had a bad rep since the'60's, why is that? When all you can think of is hostility towards your fellow citizens & self pity for yourself what do you get? SPD! The general public could be an assett to policing, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! These guys are so busy thinking they're better than everyone one else while simultaneously wallowing in self pity is pretty weird. We're all in this together boys, whether you like it of not! Which side do you want the citizenry to be on?
Posted by Irishguy on September 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM · Report this