Monday, August 18, 2014

The Morning News: Fatal Stabbing at Bellevue Burger King, and a Victory Against ISIS in Iraq

Posted by on Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Scene of a fatal stabbing yesterday.
  • Bellevue Police Department
  • Scene of a fatal stabbing yesterday.

Man Stabbed to Death Inside a Burger King in Bellevue Yesterday: "The man was stabbed in the shoulder several times inside the busy restaurant, then staggered outside and collapsed on the sidewalk as stunned customers looked on," KOMO reports. A suspect is in custody. Bellevue police "say they deal with only about one to two cases" of homicide per year.

Two Men Found Dead in a Trailer Home in Pierce County: They were 66 and 20. A man in his 40s has been taken into custody "on suspicion of a double murder."

Skydiving Accident: Takes the life of a Puyallup man.

• Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
  • This is Cinder, a black-bear cub whose paws were hurt during the largest fire in Washington State history. She's doing okay.

Cinder Was Discovered Hiding Under a Horse Trailer: And she "was so badly burned on her paws she was walking on her elbows," the AP reports. Those bandages have to be changed daily. Now Cinder is recuperating in California "enjoying fresh fruit and trout," and her rescuers think she has a good shot at being returned to the wild. Why? "Cinder doesn't like people." Atta girl, Cinder!

Iraqi and Kurdish Forces Reportedly Retake the Mosul Dam in Iraq: After assists from U.S. airstrikes against ISIS militants. It's not just that the dam controls the water supply and electricity for most of Iraq, although there is that; it's also that the "seizure of the dam by the ISIS militants raised fears that a 65-foot wave of water could be released over northern Iraq."

More About the Mosul Dam and Why It Matters: Right here.

Mike Brown Was Shot Six Times, According to an Initial Autopsy: And the protests in the streets of Ferguson escalated last night. The National Guard has been called in.

Meanwhile, Ferguson Residents Are Glued to TV Reports about the Autopsy: At least according to LA Times reporter Matt Pearce:

Reconstructing the Last Three Minutes of Mike Brown's Life: This detailed Washington Post story is a must-read—built on police records, public documents, and more than a dozen interviews on the streets.

Meanwhile in Georgia: A man reportedly accidentally fired his gun while sitting on a bench, TPM reports. The bullet injured his hand and kept moving, traveling all the way across the street, and striking and killing a woman who was just walking by.

That Was Some Pretty Horrible News All Around Today—Do You Want to See What a Black Bear Cub Whose Claws Haven't Been Burned Looks Like? Yes, let's do that.

This is what a black-bear cub whose paws havent been burned in a fire looks like.

Oh Yeah, One More Piece of Good News: Several Stranger staffers are away on summer vacation right now, so Cienna Madrid will be joining us in the office all week long, blogging on this here Slog!! If you're new to town and unfamiliar with this Cienna person, you must read this and you also must read this. And maybe also this.

and detroit's police chief is encouraging residents to arm themselves to defend against any attackers.

Police tell Detroiters to buy guns in city riven by race issues and crime

City police chief has encouraged residents to arm themselves as stark racial disparities in ‘shoot first’ laws become clear

“There’s a lot of stuff going on around here. We watch the news, and every day it’s something,” says 37-year-old Tanisha Moner, a former hospital administrator.

When Moner was 17, she was raped and robbed at gunpoint at a pay phone in Detroit. Four years later, 21-year-old Moner was attending Wayne State University in the city and working as a manager at a Burger King on the side. One morning, while she was counting money in her Burger King office, she was once again robbed at gunpoint and left in the fast-food restaurant’s freezer. After that, Moner says she became petrified of guns and loud noises.

“Finally, two years ago I said, I’m either going to let my fear overcome me, or I am going to beat my fear. So I got my [concealed pistol license] in the event that something else should ever happen.”

Moner carries her $650 fourth-generation Glock 19 most places she goes.
Posted by ChefJoe on August 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 2
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
Buddha
Posted by Pope Peabrain on August 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM · Report this
The suspect in Bellevue's Burger King stabbing has dozens of court records as a defendant, one even for assaulting a law enforcement officer. If the LEO "neutralized the threat", Bellevue may have had one fewer homicide this year.

Probably another white forty-something shithead off his meds.
Posted by Homicidal nutbags stay away from my eateries on August 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM · Report this
Puty 4
YAY CIENNA!
Posted by Puty on August 18, 2014 at 10:11 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 5
I thought Cienna was already a regular Stranger staffer?
Posted by Urgutha Forka on August 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM · Report this
Allyn 6
CIENNA!!!!!! Now I feel happy.
Posted by Allyn on August 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 7
Urgutha, you are correct--I was a staffer but I quit in December. But here I am again! Taking a break from my regularly scheduled breakfast martini to contribute to the scrolling slush of internet ennui!

Posted by Cienna Madrid on August 18, 2014 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 8
@7 - Welcome back, even if only temporarily! It's great seeing you.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on August 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 9
Now quick, someone lock her in the office so she can't get away again!
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM · Report this
10 Comment Pulled (Spam) Comment Policy
While I'm of the general opinion that the Police have become a militarized gang that answers only to itself, the Washington Post article is just about the most biased, hatchet piece I've ever read.

IE: Brown is a mild-mannered timid kid who was only stealing as a "prank".

Wilson is a tortured soul from a broken home with a criminal for a mother. (No mention of the status of Brown's parents is included - he's staying with his saintly grandmother).

The co-conspirator is the only witness quoted in the first 3/4th of the article - only towards the end does it mention what the other (conflicting) views are.

Also, if I'm walking down the middle of the street and a cop tells me to get on the f---- sidewalk. I don't f-ing argue with him. I get on the f-ing sidewalk.
Posted by randoma on August 18, 2014 at 11:56 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 12
Now I want a breakfast martini too!
Posted by Urgutha Forka on August 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM · Report this
@7: FANTASTIC!!!! We love Cienna. Also, I love that your profile image is in the 3rd line of google image results for Cienna (first for Cienna Madrid).
Posted by Hanoumatoi on August 18, 2014 at 11:59 AM · Report this
Posted by Hanoumatoi on August 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM · Report this
IndicaDogwalk 15
RE: Cienna. Go girl! Everyone is rooting for you. (Yes, I know she won't read this.)

I'm glad to read she's doing well and eating well. One of the better stories out there - thanks for reporting it. Nice to read some happy news.

Posted by IndicaDogwalk on August 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM · Report this
seatackled 16
Looking forward to a week's worth of a much improved Slog.
Posted by seatackled on August 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM · Report this