Friday, August 8, 2014

Y'all Are Familiar with Bubble Puppy, Right?

Posted by on Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:00 AM

bubble_puppy_gathering_promises.jpg

I've been staring at the Bubble Puppy album all day today; it's been sitting on my desk watching me (I'd loaned my copy to Dave Segal, as he wanted to audition the LP before purchasing a copy from a local shop). I hadn't been face-to-face with this sleeve in years—not since I first bought it. Jesus, just look those outfits, the hair, AND those smiles! For a longhaired hippie band, their album photo is one motherfucker of a motherfucking photo. Shit, had I never heard the band prior, based on the sleeve art alone, I would'a figured this group for Christians who softly rock. The band's photo notwithstanding, their jams ARE great, they even had a top 20 hit with "Hot Smoke & Sassafras." The LP, A Gathering of Promises, is good, too. I love this record, I dunno if Segal was down, Gathering does get a bit flowery. Either way, I hope he at least dug the killer band photo and maybe got some ideas for what to do with his hair. I'm voting for a Dave-fro, like the fella in red!

I can't believe that you just wrote about Bubble Puppy and their 1969 hit "Hot Smoke & Sassafras"! When I was a 13 year old kid, this was THE song to end all songs.

It was my first ever 45 RPM record purchase and I played the shit out of that song, over and over and over. I couldn't get enough of it. And then then I never heard from Bubble Puppy again.

About a year ago, for some unknown and bizarre reason, I thought about this song again and found it on iTunes and YouTube. It just didn't sound the same to me as it did when I was a kid. Anyway, thanks for bringing back the memories. ;)

Now I'm gonna find me some Inna Gadda Da Vida to fill out the rest of my day.
Posted by bernie on August 8, 2014 at 9:05 AM · Report this
Dougsf 2
Love the guitar sound on the song. There's something uniquely American—or Texan, more specifically, to the sound of this record.
Posted by Dougsf on August 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Keekee 3
Nipper:
Have you heard the Demian album? It's a less flowery version of the same band.
Posted by Keekee on August 8, 2014 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Travis Ritter 4
I can't believe Dave hadn't heard this record before. An underappreciated Texas paisley-psych record, overshadowed by labelmates 13th Floor Elevators and The Golden Dawn.

Manitoba/Caribou sampled 'Gathering of Promises' on the song "Skunks"
Posted by Travis Ritter http://nuglifer.wordpress.com on August 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM · Report this
Travis: I'd heard "Hot Smoke" a ton, but never ventured beyond that. Now that I've heard the LP, I realize I wasn't missing that much. I mean, it's good, but "Hot Smoke" towers above the rest of it.
Posted by Dave Segal on August 9, 2014 at 1:16 AM · Report this