Friday, August 8, 2014

Mars Hill Church Responds to Acts 29 Network's Charges by Defending Pastor Mark Driscoll

Posted by on Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Not so fast with the hook, maybe?
  • Mars Hill Church
  • Not so fast with the hook, maybe?

This morning, I told you that the Acts 29 Network, the organization of evangelical churches co-founded by Mars Hill Pastor Mark Driscoll, publicly ejected Driscoll and Mars Hill Church from their ranks. They also urged Driscoll to step down from his position and "seek help."

Now, Warren Throckmorton at Patheos published Mars Hill's response. (Spoiler alert: They're standing by their man.)

In a letter e-mailed to Mars Hill elders and the church's general membership, the chairman of the Mars Hill Board of Advisors and Accountability, Michael Van Skaik, and board member Larry Osborne admitted that the church is working on "serious reconciliation and unhealthy culture issues" that have plagued Mars Hill "for way too long." Van Skaik and Osbourne say they have never met the A29 board members, and that they haven't heard from A29 on the issues in this morning's letter. They go on:

Be assured of this, the formal charges that were filed were serious, were taken seriously and were not dismissed by the board lightly. There is clear evidence that the attitudes and behaviors attributed to Mark in the charges are not a part and have not been a part of Mark's life for some time now.

The letter also complains that A29 would take their issues public without coming to Driscoll and the board first. Then they vow to pray for all involved—I'm pretty sure that's evangelical Christian-speak for "go fuck yourself."

For more information about Mars Hill's self-professed "unhealthy culture issues," you should read Brendan Kiley's feature on Mars Hill from this week's paper.

Fnarf 1
He absolutely should not resign. Captains should go down with their ship.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM · Report this
sperifera 2
Can't
Unlearn
Lifelong
Thinking
Posted by sperifera on August 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM · Report this
COMTE 3
@1:

As opposed to rats deserting it, absolutely.
Posted by COMTE on August 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Dougsf 4
I'm with Fnarf, dude should to double-down, he seems pretty close to that point where he's gonna start speaking about himself in 3rd person.

The explosion is coming, but lets asks ourselves: do we want it on the local news or national news? I say we shoot for the top.
Posted by Dougsf on August 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM · Report this
Yes, a real man would not resign. That would be to show weakness, which is what his enemies (I.e. enemies of Jesus) are hoping for. Don't back down, Mark!
Posted by Jude Fawley on August 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
Guyana here we come!
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM · Report this
Estey 7
Spot on reporting on this today, Paul. Also, love the line "Then they vow to pray for all involved—I'm pretty sure that's evangelical Christian-speak for "go fuck yourself." (And I'm pretty sure that's true.)
Posted by Estey on August 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM · Report this
Yeah, I'm here to vouch for this brilliant sentence: "Then they vow to pray for all involved—I'm pretty sure that's evangelical Christian-speak for "go fuck yourself."" Having grown up surrounded by evangelicals, I can say that's exactly what that means. It's amazing the amount of venom that can be poured into "I will pray for you."
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on August 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 9
@8
"Venom?"
I feel bad for you. You must have had some really bad scarring experiences. I could give shit about these kooks. Venom? Forget it, giving them too much credit. They dribble spit at best.
Posted by dnt trust me on August 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM · Report this
@6: Can I interest you in some delightful Flavor-Aid?
Posted by Hanoumatoi on August 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM · Report this
If only the public could follow the money trail, I'm sure we could, but maybe we don't want to know who gives and who receives. Religion in the U.S. is all about money and in the case of the Catholics it's all about little boys. In the middle east it's about genital mutilation of their women and fighting wars that started 2'000 yrs. ago and nobody remembers why the wars started in the first place. The republican party is in the same frame of mind as the muslims, no change , no worries.
Posted by longwayhome on August 9, 2014 at 9:36 PM · Report this