Thursday, August 7, 2014

Are You Drinking Prosecco?

Posted by on Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

You've got flood on your hands:

Italy's picturesque Prosecco-producing region has been plunged into bitter acrimony amid accusations that its expanding vineyards were responsible for creating a terrifying flash flood that claimed the lives of four people. Critics say that the clearing of woodland to make way for new vineyards, as sales of Prosecco boom both in Italy and abroad, have made the region's steep slopes more unstable and less able to absorb heavy rainfall.

dnt trust me 1
cool article, thanks
Posted by dnt trust me on August 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM · Report this
Depending on just how gay Presecco rates, this, when juxtaposed against Dan's post immediately before it, is either merely hilarious or fucking genius.
Posted by Flash Mob on August 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM · Report this
The Beatles 3
Well, Prosecco is a gay wine anyway, so it's probably God's will.
Posted by The Beatles on August 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM · Report this
brian 4
I can live with the deaths of four Italians for my brunch bubbles.
Posted by brian on August 7, 2014 at 11:32 AM · Report this
venomlash 5
Once at work a customer asked if we carried Prosecco and I accidentally directed her towards the prosciutto. (I hadn't had any coffee yet.) Luckily a coworker was nearby to save the day.
Posted by venomlash on August 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM · Report this
prosciutto and prosecco are a mighty fine combo.... but prosciutto and lambrusco is even better.
Posted by wine-o on August 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM · Report this
sperifera 7
Flash floods happen, and have happened in this region of Italy for ages. Surely clearcutting a woodland encourages erosion IF IT'S NOT REPLANTED, but anyone that has ever been in a vineyard during this time of year knows that grape vines are prolific, and produce a huge canopy (which reduces erosion). Bottom line: meh, not the cause of the flash flood. Personally, I blame Obama.
Posted by sperifera on August 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM · Report this
brandon 8
Damn shame. I liked it better than champagne.

Posted by brandon on August 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM · Report this
ferret 9
I blame champagne for all of this.. After Champagne got its GATT registered trademark and champagne prices went through the roof, people drank more Prosecco, which I do like, and it is a helluva lot cheaper than champagne..

When you are drinking Bellinis, you are drowing children...
Posted by ferret http://https://twitter.com/#!/okojo on August 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM · Report this
Every where you look, we humans do really stupid stuff.
Posted by LavaGirl on August 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 11
I blame Giada De Laurentiis.
Posted by Fred Casely on August 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM · Report this
Italian justice. Time to convict a meteorologist for this travesty. Or a visiting blonde.
Posted by Punditwatch on August 7, 2014 at 8:30 PM · Report this
Jessica 13
I continue to be ride-or-die for cava. Sorry, Italy.
Posted by Jessica on August 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM · Report this