Thursday, July 31, 2014

Today in Daddy Issues: George W. Bush to Publish Biography of George H.W. Bush

Posted by on Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:43 AM

1406828128-shutterstock_107269241.jpg

George W. Bush's biography of George H.W. Bush will be published on November 11, 2014. Hillel Itale writes:

According to Crown, the book will cover the elder Bush's whole life and his influence on his son, from George W.'s "childhood in West Texas to his early campaign trips with his father, and from his decision to go into politics to his own two-term presidency."

The book will be "heartfelt, intimate, and illuminating," Crown publisher Maya Mavjee said in a statement.

The book will be around 300 pages, and the publisher is quick to point out that W wrote it all by himself. Hopefully the title is Everything I Needed to Know About Invading Iraq I Learned from My Daddy. I wonder if it will include the time Bush the younger drunkenly challenged Bush the elder to a fistfight? And will it end with Saddam Hussein hanging from a rope as George W. Bush walks down a hallway in slow motion to "Carry On Wayward Son?" The speculative versions of this book will undoubtedly be better than reality.

(Thanks, Slog tipper Greg.)

Fnarf 1
The best review has already been written, thanks to your "Carry On Wayward Son" reference.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 31, 2014 at 10:56 AM · Report this
I firmly believe that this book will be completely accurate in all its facts and completely objective in all its judgments.
Posted by Clayton on July 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM · Report this
raindrop 3
Typically, book reviews on The Stranger wait till the book is actually published, unless they are too much of a temptation for fodder because they tease the delicate amusements of democrats and liberals.
Posted by raindrop on July 31, 2014 at 11:25 AM · Report this
Wow, he wrote it all by himself. It says a lot that this fact was considered worth using in promotional material for a book by a former U.S. president.

If it isn't edited to death, the book might prove inadvertantly revealing from a psychological perspective... Not that I'll be reading it.
Posted by Jude Fawley on July 31, 2014 at 11:28 AM · Report this
DOUG. 5
Released on Veteran's Day by one of America's most notable pro-war draft-dodgers.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on July 31, 2014 at 11:36 AM · Report this
Oh, Father.
See funny Dick.
Dick can play.
Posted by DJSauvage on July 31, 2014 at 11:54 AM · Report this
@6: I don't usually click on the unregistered comments, but yours is a winner.
Posted by Pope Buck I on July 31, 2014 at 11:55 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 10
I find it hard to believe that W is capable of cobbling together 300 pages on his own.

@3, in this case, the speculation will probably be far more amusing and insightful than the actual eventual book.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on July 31, 2014 at 11:58 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 11
If he learned anything about invading Iraq from his daddy, he wouldn't have done it.
Posted by keshmeshi on July 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM · Report this
sikandro 12
That's about the length biographies should be, at least, although I doubt if it indicates focus here.
Posted by sikandro on July 31, 2014 at 12:17 PM · Report this
tomsj 13
Wrote it all by himself? I doubt it. Seems to me far more likely that it was ghost written by Dick Cheney, like most of W's presidency.
Posted by tomsj on July 31, 2014 at 12:19 PM · Report this
originalcinner 14
W lied about the WMD, and so many other things. I have zero reasons to believe he wrote the book entirely all by himself with no help from anyone else at all ever.
Posted by originalcinner on July 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Fnarf 15
Don't lose the plot: George W Bush is evil and lazy, not stupid. Calling him stupid is a way of letting him off the hook. Of course he could write a book.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 31, 2014 at 1:00 PM · Report this
originalcinner 16
I liked his poetry better. I am in awe of Make The Pie Higher.
Posted by originalcinner on July 31, 2014 at 1:28 PM · Report this
I wonder if W is going to paint a picture for the cover art.
Posted by CommonKnowledge on July 31, 2014 at 1:54 PM · Report this
raindrop 18
@15: I thought liberals didn't believe in the concept of evil.
Posted by raindrop on July 31, 2014 at 1:56 PM · Report this
Knat 21
@3, 18: Slow day in the troll booth, huh?
Posted by Knat on July 31, 2014 at 6:45 PM · Report this
Of course he could, and probably did, write the book. But it will have been edited. Writing is not the real work.
Posted by sarah70 on July 31, 2014 at 8:33 PM · Report this