Monday, July 28, 2014

When Bob Met Bette

Posted by on Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Everyone who knows Bob Dylan prolly remembers his duet with Bette Midler, "Buckets Of Rain," on Midler's 1975 album Songs for the New Depression. It was a song Dylan had included—here is a demo-quality sketch of the song from his Blood On The Tracks album. Anyway, here's a clip from the Dylan/Midler "Buckets Of Rain" session. The clip is not super revelatory and it's a bit of a mess, but it's interesting to hear the two casually woodshedding their arrangement and talking shit—as the tape rolls, Bette tells a story about Paul Simon and calls out Patti Smith for not being able to sing in tune and then, at about the 26-minute mark, the pair break into the Miracles' "You Really Got a Hold On Me." Again, this IS a bit of a mess, but it's interesting.

Gosh, these two together are real charming. Also, after listening to this, now I kinda want to investigate Ms. Midler's early catalog; were all her '70s albums this engaging and diverse? And they're all dollar-bin LPs now, so which albums should I pick up, Middler fans?

Max Solomon 1
wait, bette midler sings on buckets of rain?
Posted by Max Solomon on July 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Call me Scott 2
Wait . . . that Buckets of Rain you linked to in the wildly erroneous "sketch of the song" comment was not the Buckets of Rain from Blood on the Tracks. Ugh.
Posted by Call me Scott on July 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM · Report this
Saw Midler in the earlish '70s when she traipsed into the magazine office where I worked: gorgeous!

Beautiful red hair, tiny waisted and boobilicous, in a form-fitting red dress, and platforms.

So pretty and striking in person.
Posted by judybrowni on July 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM · Report this
Sachi 4
She was a hoot. Both of her first two albums were splendid, full of energy and fun.

I have some pics of her at her first concert at the Opera House here:

Sorry for the pic quality . . . I was using FujiFilm 400, pushed to 800, shot through a 200 mm telephoto at the time! It got pretty grainy, but the pics might give you an idea.
Posted by Sachi http://web.me.com/thorw/Claire_and_Sachi on July 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM · Report this
nipper 5
@2 yeah it was a demo version I linked, in fact a "sketch of the song." Here is the LP version - "Buckets Of Rain" Ugh, indeed. Also, there wasn't an LP version on YouTube; I've changed the text to noted its the demo version. Anything else to add?

Thanks @3 & 4 I'l seek out those two albums then!!
Posted by nipper on July 28, 2014 at 5:06 PM · Report this

Is that Barry Manilow on piano?
Posted by hola on July 28, 2014 at 6:30 PM · Report this
The second album, the eponymous Bette Midler, is great. Drinking Again, Surabaya Johnny, Skylark, I Shall Be Released, ... its lovely...
Posted by M. Wells on July 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM · Report this
MarkyMark 8
Fun fact: Bette was born and raised in Honolulu.

YouTube: opening of her 1977 TV special Ol' Red Hair is Back
Posted by MarkyMark on July 28, 2014 at 7:11 PM · Report this
Call me Scott 9
Nipper . . . I'm sorry I was harsh. Thanks for the re-do.
Posted by Call me Scott on July 28, 2014 at 8:28 PM · Report this