Monday, July 28, 2014

NYPD Allegedly Continues to Use Chokeholds in Wildly Inappropriate Situations

Posted by on Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM

When a New York City police officer put Eric Garner in a chokehold that resulted in Garner's death last week, we were told that the NYPD banned chokeholds well before the incident. Garner was being arrested under suspicion of selling loose cigarettes.

Gawker just reported that the NYPD's violent war on nuisance laws continues:

The NYPD, seemingly determined to double down on violence against black people after the post-chokehold death of Eric Garner, apparently used the banned tactic again on a seven-months-pregnant woman after she grilled on the sidewalk in front of her home this weekend.

Jesus Christ. They're really working hard to make the SPD look good out there.

I can actually see why it would be illegal to grill on a public sidewalk: the heat and flames could be dangerous to passers-by.

That said, I can't begin to imagine why police couldn't simply have said, "I'm sorry, but this is a public safety hazard. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to extinguish the fire and finish cooking your meal inside."

Chokeholds seem to be a disproportionate response, to say the least.
Posted by Clayton on July 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM · Report this
@1, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, obstruction of justice,etc.

But that doesn't look like a chokehold to me. At least in the photos they've posted. The cop has his arm around her upper chest, but he doesn't seem to be actually applying pressure to her neck.
Posted by GermanSausage on July 28, 2014 at 1:41 PM · Report this
@1, on the whole I agree with both of your statements. I haven't seen either of the videos but maybe the cops did start with a polite statement. There's certainly been an absurd amount of police brutality in the last several years but I've also seen plenty of videos of police starting with a reasonable approach then being confronted with people being violent and abusive to them. I can certainly see how a simple "you have to put that fire out" can end with the woman and her husband attacking the cops and ending in a choke hold. At least it was a choke hold and not a taser or a gun.

I'm not necessarily defending the cops here. I'm just saying that until I see the video the jury's out.
Posted by Root on July 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM · Report this
The cop could have written out a ticket for a fine and if the woman didn't cooperate, he could have threatened to write a ticket for a much bigger amount unless the grilling was moved inside of the premises or stopped. Money talks with stubborn people.
Posted by neo-realist on July 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 5
This is about police departments in general. They have all become more militarized and violent towards everyone. All the ex military they bring in still are told that it's "You vs, Them" just like in a war zone. So they treat the streets of any city as if they were fighting terrorists overseas.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on July 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM · Report this
delirian 6
This is idiotic. The anti-grilling law only serves to prevent poor people who don't have yards from grilling. If the grilling completely blocked the sidewalk or was actually dangerous, then there are laws that cover that. But a blanket ban only serves to punish the poor and give the police another excuse to brutally assault them.
Posted by delirian on July 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Knat 7
@6: You don't think it's possible that the police were trying to enforce the existing laws that this woman was breaking?
Posted by Knat on July 28, 2014 at 6:52 PM · Report this