FLASH INFOS : AH5017 L'avion se serait crashé à Tilemsi. L'avion se serait crashé dans la région de Tilemsi, à 70km de Gao.
— Air Algérie (@Air_Algerie) July 24, 2014
• Another Plane Crash: The Air Algerie plane was en route to Algiers from Burkina Faso in West Africa with 116 aboard when it crashed in Mali. No word at this writing about survivors.
• Yesterday's Plane Crash: An investigation is launched, with typhoon weather expected to be a factor. Forty-eight people died.
• The Plane Crash in the Ukraine: A compromised wreckage site, possible missing evidence, a no-extradition rule in Russia, the right of Russia to veto bringing cases before the International Criminal Court, and more make the prospects for any kind of justice, or even answers, bleak.
• At Least 15 Killed at UN School in Gaza: Israeli tank shells hit the compound where people were had sought shelter from heavy fighting on the streets. "We started this operation to return peace and quiet to Israel... And we shall return it," Israel's prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, said.
• The World Is Horrified by the United States of America: An execution in Arizona took two hours, with the victim—a convicted murderer, but indisputably also a victim—gasping and coughing. The execution was by "an experimental concoction of drugs whose provenance [Arizona officials] had insisted on keeping secret." Lawyers had time to file an emergency motion to stop the killing. Here is an eyewitness account of the prisoner's 660 gasps.
• The Plagiarizing Senator: “This was unintentional and it was a mistake," a campaign spokesperson for Montana's Sen. John Walsh said about two-thirds of his 2007 thesis on the Middle East not being his. The spokespeople are also providing the "important context"—not an excuse!—that Walsh had been prescribed medication used to treat PTSD at the time.
• Oil Train Derails Under the Magnolia Bridge Right Here in Seattle: "No public threat" or spillage, though, so don't worry about it. Or maybe do?
• A Seahawk Retires at Age 27: After seven years of injuries in the NFL, Sidney Rice says, “I want to be able to function and do things later down the road."
• McDonalds Stays With Meat Supplier That Allegedly Relabeled and Sold Expired Meat: KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and Starbucks have all severed ties with the international meat conglomerate headquartered in Aurora, Illinois, but McDonalds says, “According to OSI, Chinese authorities have inspected Husi’s other facilities, allowing us to confidently serve our customers.” I'm lovin' it?!
• A Man Who Allegedly Made and Sold $20 Million in Fake Vintage Wine in His Kitchen: Don't try this at home.