Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Little Walter Tunes Up Some HEAT!

Posted by on Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Even in today's summer shitpouring rain, I found some sweaty HEAT in this Little Walter side; it's a side I'd NEVER heard before hearing it this morning. Godamn.

Little Walter is mostly known for blowing harp for Chess Records, his solo work ("My Babe"), and was in Muddy Waters' band for a bit too. I don't think he ever recorded a shitty song.

Side.
Posted by g on July 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM · Report this
--MC 2
His version of "Boom Boom Out Go The Lights" will make your skin creep.
Posted by --MC on July 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM · Report this
Great record. Now that the picture of the Checker 45 got you this far; Here's a cleaner, less compressed dub so you can hear what the take really sounded like.
Posted by Jim Detwiler on July 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM · Report this
His finest hour for me is the song Fleetwood Mac by Fleetwood Mac.
Posted by Ray Shackleford on July 24, 2014 at 2:15 AM · Report this
You've never heard it? Treat yourself to the 2-CD set "The Essential LIttle Walter," MCA/Chess CHD2-9342. (I never understood why they buried this great track as #20 on disc 2.) It also includes "It's Too Late Brother;" I always liked its lyric, "[I was] told you packin' .45, you had better quit that jive."

I'm more of a Sonny Boy man myself; get the 2-CD set "The Essential Sonny Boy Williamson," MCA/Chess CHD2-9343, while you're at it. Enjoy.
Posted by Former Chicago South Sider on July 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM · Report this