Thursday, July 17, 2014

Florida Judge Rules for Same-Sex Marriage in the Florida Keys

Posted by on Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:00 AM

The Bradenton Herald:

Monroe County Circuit Judge Luis Garcia overturned Florida’s 2008 constitutional gay-marriage ban on Thursday, and ordered that two Key West bartenders be allowed to wed but not before Tuesday.

Time:

The ruling was issued Thursday by Circuit Judge Luis M. Garcia and applies only to Monroe County, which covers the Keys.

It's a good start, and a lovely place for a wedding.

Urgutha Forka 1
I wouldn't expect it to spread. In Florida, the further North you go, the further South you go.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on July 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 2
If you are ever lucky enough to find yourself in Key West, you have to go see one of the drag shows they advertise right on Duval Street.

I wish I could remember the names, but there are two main places that have them right on Duval, one is classier and more expensive, but the other one is cheap as hell and WAY more fun. The one closest to mile marker 0 is the good one.

They even got my "I have no problem with them, but keep them out of my face" father into it.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on July 17, 2014 at 11:25 AM · Report this
@1 I'm no legal expert, and I'm not even sure I trust my logic, but how can it not spread? This is a ruling by a state judge who only has authority in one county. The state has a non-recognition law. Are those couples to be married only married in that one county of the state?

This decision is the "camel's nose under the tent" of Florida, unless that nose is going to get chopped off.

I have no idea how things work in Florida. Are records of all marriage certificates sent by the counties to the State for some sort of central registration? Or are all 67 counties completely separate and independent authorities? If the former, there will be legal fireworks when those marriages are registered. At that point, there will be another case, which will end up in a higher Florida court, and then it will be determined whether all of Florida is a marriage equality state or none of it is.

Keep your fingers crossed. Meanwhile, there are cases working their way through Federal District Courts of the Third Circuit which could conceivably reach the same goal.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on July 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM · Report this
AFinch 4
@1 - meh, it's the Conch Republic...they've been seceding from the secessionists for years.
Posted by AFinch on July 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Unfortunately, it's like everywhere else that has invoked the 14th amendment to make prohibition of SSM unconstitutional. It has been invoked and a stay has been issued. Nothing new here. No weddings. Same situation here today as was here yesterday. Until SCOTUS rules or doesn't take the case things will be the same as they've been unfortunately.
Posted by Weekilter on July 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM · Report this
It's the fault of that flaming liberal, Jeb Bush, for appointing an activist judge.
Posted by Clayton on July 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 7
@2: I loved the costumes of one I went to, but Seattle has spoiled me for the sync. I also got bored with all the top 40 impersonations, but I'll try to go back for the other one you mention. Key West is still a treasure, especially during Goombay.
Posted by undead ayn rand on July 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM · Report this