Monday, July 14, 2014

The World's First Tumblr Convention Was a Disaster

Posted by on Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Gavia Baker-Whitelaw's writeup makes DashCon, an unofficial Tumblr convention held over the weekend in Illinois, sounds like the world's worst convention experience:

Over the course of one weekend, the organizers took $17,000 from conventiongoers as part of an emergency fundraising drive, failed to pay any of their high-profile guests, and attempted to compensate disappointed ticket-holders by offering them an “extra” hour in a children’s ball pit. The ball pit only fit around six people. There was apparently not a very long queue.

How did the convention get funded in the first place? Organizers crowdfunded $4,000 on Indiegogo, of course. There's so much more at the Daily Dot, including a hilarious bullet-pointed list of how terrible the convention turned out to be, that you should really read. Over the next few days, you'll likely see a few desperate think-pieces about how DashCon exemplifies the failings of internet culture and social media activism. That's one way to interpret it, I guess. More likely, it's just a shitty, ill-planned event that didn't work out the way anyone intended.

keshmeshi 1
Oh that's where the ball pit meme started.
Posted by keshmeshi on July 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM · Report this
You'd think tumblr would have enough bronies to figure out how to run a major convention properly.
Posted by GermanSausage on July 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
I heard the convention was a bigger disaster than the Oso Mudslide
Posted by dnt trust me on July 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Tracy 4
Depends on the organizers. Vidcon (for youtube creators/fans) has grown and grown over the years, and always seems like a huge success.
Posted by Tracy on July 14, 2014 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Mixed reports are coming out. Apparently some of the disastrous elements did happen, but other "disasters" were entirely made up. I wasn't there, but reading stuff from people who were, it probably was an okay, but not great con that made a bunch of newbie mistakes, some of which were pretty serious. But it probably wasn't the worst con ever.
Posted by uncreative on July 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM · Report this
fletc3her 6
Sheesh, last time I ran a convention I just had to pony up many thousands of my own money to make the thing happen. Emphasis on the *last* time I run a convention. And we only had tens of people.
Posted by fletc3her on July 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM · Report this
So, just like Tumblr itself then
Posted by Reader01 on July 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM · Report this
brandon 8
Is it wrong that I take delight in the failures of shallow overly-twee, and/or self-righteous tumblr-ites?

Seriously though, Tumblr can be a lot of fun if you can avoid the people who make it terrible.
Posted by brandon on July 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 9
fletch, please do tell, what area of interest prompted such an investment from yourself? Girls' button up sweaters?
Posted by dnt trust me on July 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM · Report this
brandon 10
They need to get a bitchy hard-nosed middle aged lesbian to put it together. They get shit done.
Posted by brandon on July 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 11
Convention planning is sort of a logistical nightmare, especially one targeting "internet enthusiasts". I'm not surprised. Sure, there are ones that work, and ones that are self-funded, but the majority would seem to be shittily run and moneylosers.
Posted by undead ayn rand on July 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM · Report this
If only someone had thought to bring a $10,000 poatao salad!
Posted by RonK, Seattle on July 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM · Report this