Monday, July 14, 2014

Can The Nipple Ever Be Free?

Posted by on Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Are you familar with the #FreeTheNipple campaign? And/or maybe you've seen the TaTa Top protests? I'm 100% pro, but I also wonder if Americans can EVER be mature enough? Watch this, then let's have a SLOG poll!

Video NSFW (though it really should be, someday, totally SFW):

I admit to some minor perplexity. I am fairly certain that it is not against the law in New York to be topless on the street. I've been at and in a number of parades where female nipples made their appearance, the police were in attendance in large numbers, and nothing happened. There are some public lewdness laws, but that requires a bit more than just standing there or walking around.

So, what exactly was going on in those clips with police manhandling people is not clear to me. Anyone know?
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on July 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM · Report this
How come it's only the Saggy Tits Brigade who want this?
Posted by Flappers on July 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM · Report this
unknown_entity 3
Can anyone explain why women wearing bikini tops or sports bras is such a limitation? To me, the #FreeTheNipple is based on false equivalency between men and women's chests. Biologically speaking, women's breasts are an anomaly. In all other primates, female breasts are swollen only during periods of fertility and lactation, while women's swell during puberty and never return to a prepubescent size. One possible explanation for this is that by being permanently swollen, it is impossible for men to know when a woman is in fact fertile, ergo it is never clear exactly when sex will lead to pregnancy. Women's nipples are more sensitive then men and more erotically entwined, hence the ability of some women to experience orgasm from nipple stimulation alone. In pre-historic societies. women's breasts were prominent in statues and art related to fertility. Finally, even in areas like Europe and Australia where women go topless on beaches, they look on being topless as being comparable to wearing a bikini top. Off the beach, being topless is considered exhibitionism.
Posted by unknown_entity on July 14, 2014 at 1:46 PM · Report this
We do need new stories, as the trailer said, but I am not sure that this is the new story we need. I'm not against the story, but I don't think it's as urgent as they seem to think it is. (especially because, as an earlier comment noted, it's legal for women to be topless in NYC, so I'm not clear why those women were running away from cops)
Posted by Jude Fawley on July 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 5
I think there's a law in Austin, TX that women can be topless anywhere men can be topless. There's a swimming place where a few women go topless. Once people see it, they realize it's really not a big deal.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on July 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM · Report this
@3: Why does it bug you if women don't want to wear bikini tops or sports bras? Lots of men enjoy nipple play. Why are you threatened by breasts?
Posted by Hanoumatoi on July 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM · Report this
fletc3her 7
I believe laws need to make sense. The restriction against showing the female nipple is clearly nonsensical given that there is no such restriction on the male nipple. And then the idea that it's okay if you have a pasty on is just ridiculous. We really should just stop criminalizing nudity and be done with it.
Posted by fletc3her on July 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM · Report this
spamky 8
@1 It is my understanding that being topless is legal in NYC but if the police think that a woman is topless in an inappropriate place ("won't someone think of the children!") they will ask a woman to cover up.
Posted by spamky on July 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Can we make it a law that everyone has to wear a shirt in public? That gets my vote. A thin layer of cotton is not going make you burst into flames people. Please spare me your sweaty chest in my face. And don't even get me started on those shorts where your ass cheeks hang out. DO. NOT. WANT.
Posted by chi_type on July 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM · Report this
Let me guess, after letting their saggy tits hang out they're gonna complain about be stared at, specialized and harassed in public.

You can't win with these morons.
Posted by Evolutionary prerogative on July 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM · Report this
Let me guess, after letting their saggy tits hang out they're gonna complain about being stared at, sexualized and harassed in public.

You can't win with these morons.
Posted by Evolutionary prerogative on July 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM · Report this
@3 It used to be considered obscene for men to go topless too. Men protested against it in exactly the same way and were then allowed to go topless. It's taken 100 years for women to try the same. It's only fair.

Perhaps you could explain to me exactly what the problem is with it?
Posted by gnot on July 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM · Report this
13 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
I don't know - a thin layer of cotton just MIGHT make be burst into flames! But really, it is not about the nipple - its about freedom. No government has the authority or right to dictate what you wear, how much you wear or if you wear anything at all. These censorship laws are just hangovers from religious fanatics trying to force their beliefs on everyone else. The worst religions force women to completely cover up, or to cover their heads in case they "offend" some divine being. Complete nonsense. There is no acceptable form of censorship. Period.
Posted by WhyDoINeedToSignupToComment on July 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM · Report this