Monday, July 7, 2014

Ohio Man Funds a Potato Salad on Kickstarter

Posted by on Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

This is not Zack Danger Browns potato salad. But it looks pretty good, doesnt it?
  • cobraphotography/Shutterstock
  • This is not Zack Danger Brown's potato salad. But it looks pretty good, doesn't it?

As of this writing, someone operating under the name "Zack Danger Brown" has amassed nearly $10,000 to make a potato salad. The original post:

I'm making potato salad.

Basically I'm just making potato salad. I haven't decided what kind yet.

And then, under the Risks and Challenges section: "It might not be that good. It's my first potato salad." Since then, the project has been shared nearly 80,000 times on Facebook and made the news at Cnet and an Ohio ABC affiliate, and it's still got 25 days to go.

To his credit, Mr. Brown is upping the ante with numerous "stretch goals." For example, at $250, he vowed to use "Better mayonnaise (from the natural foods section)," and at $300, to "Call a chef to get a better recipe." And at this point, he intends to rent out a party hall and "invite the whole internet to the potato salad party." But be warned, you must pledge a minimum of $10 to be allowed in the kitchen. For just $1, though, Mr. Brown vows to say your name while making the salad. With nearly 1400 backers, he's got his work cut out for him.

With this knowledge, I suggest you now go back and read Paul and Jen's 2011 discussion of Kickstarter and its potential implications for both philanthropy and the arts.

h/t: James B.

care bear 1
I'm really hungry. I'd like some potato salad.
Posted by care bear on July 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM · Report this
This kickstarter reminds me of the guy who throws together a costume a half hour before a Halloween party and ends up getting endless praise for it while the people who spent months working on theirs sulk in the corner totally ignored.
Posted by carrma on July 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM · Report this

What happens when he makes the potato salad and has to deliver it to all his original backers?

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on July 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM · Report this
fletc3her 4
Wow, that's dumb. I wonder how long before Kickstarter decides its out of control and stops it.
Posted by fletc3her on July 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 5
Hmmm... I'm going to make a sammich for lunch. Anyone wanna give me $100 on Kickstupid if I say your name while I make it?
Posted by Reverse Polarity on July 7, 2014 at 11:16 AM · Report this
#3: That's whats great about kickstarter. Once you're funded, the money is yours. No need to deliver anything to your backers. I am assuming that some of this stuff will come to pass - a live stream of a guy making potato salad isn't too hard to set-up - but "logistical concerns" will keep the salad from actually shipping. Something about freshness or something.
Posted by derpyderpington on July 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 7
@5
Kickstupid, awesome. Remember those t-shirts with the arrow, saying "I'm with stupid?" They came and went kind of fast. I'm gonna start trolling other blogs, providing a slog link, and saying "Come visit us at The Stupid Stranger!"
Posted by dnt trust me on July 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM · Report this
treacle 8
Vital news; I'm glad this is getting wider coverage.
Posted by treacle on July 7, 2014 at 11:53 AM · Report this
JonnoN 9
@7 shut the fuck up idiot
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on July 7, 2014 at 12:00 PM · Report this
@3,6: Um, he never promised to give the potato salad to other people. The kickstarter was for him to make HIMSELF potato salad.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on July 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 11
my bad jonnoN. ok let's cooperate, i'll shut up for the rest of the week, if you tell me your favorite of these.

i like the ones pointing down at the crotch, at the head is good too, some funny ones if you scroll down. c'mon, gimme that i don't give a shit but i'll do anything to get dnt trust me to shut up. You get the last word, next up.
Posted by dnt trust me on July 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Hmmm ... wonder how much I could get for my brilliant plan to produce compost from human waste.

Step #1: Feed the human.

$10,000 worth of leftover potato salad would make a pretty good start.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on July 7, 2014 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 13
Can I do something with beating off on Kickstarter to get some extra cash? There's something about Kickstarter and blowing a wad that just seems to scream out to me.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on July 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM · Report this
@10: You idiot: he promised them a bite of the potato salad! God, you are so dumb.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on July 7, 2014 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Dougsf 15
Oh c'mon, why can't he just get a potato salad loan from the bank like the rest of us?
Posted by Dougsf on July 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM · Report this
@11 <- I'm With Stupid
Posted by My Favorite (Although It Stretches The Meaning Of "With") on July 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 17
Combining "danger" and "potato salad" seems like a branding misstep.
Posted by Fred Casely on July 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 18
@16

Thank you. It's important to help Jonnon, I mean the deaf and mute. They are often mistaken for dummies.

Posted by dnt trust me on July 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM · Report this
JonnoN 19
@18 shut the fuck up idiot
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on July 7, 2014 at 2:35 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 20
@19
Ok, you've made your point. I'll see you next week, if that's ok, Mr Bossy!
Posted by dnt trust me on July 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM · Report this
wonderful, bang-on comment #2
Posted by Doot on July 8, 2014 at 3:26 AM · Report this
You seem upset that a poor schlub is using Kickstarter to fund something you don't personally like. What I'm offended by is the suggestion that Kickstarter only be used for artists, many of whom are already established in their fields and simply don't want to use their own money (yes, they have it) to fund their little art projects. Poor them.
Posted by treehugger on July 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM · Report this