Thursday, July 3, 2014

Washington's First Legal Pot Shops Open on Tuesday! Will You Be There?

Posted by on Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Washington's first few pot retail outlets will open for business by noon on Tuesday the 8th. Jake Ellison at the PI takes a look at the stores that are preparing to open:

Cannabis City (2733 Fourth Ave S. in Seattle) and Top Shelf (at 3863 Hannegan, Suite 107 in Bellingham) should be two of 15 to 20 retail outlets licensed by the Liquor Control Board on Monday. Once the stores have their licenses, the owners can seal a deal with a grower — and 24 hours later (a holding time set by the board), stock the shelves with legal weed. That’ll be Tuesday.

Fox Q13 says another Bellingham store called 2020 Solutions intends to open first, at 8 am. No matter what hour the first shop opens, there will eventually be 334 marijuana stores in Washington state. But people are definitely excited to be there on day one: Curbed says Cannabis City will have ten pounds of pot ready for sale on the first day, and that they expect to sell out by the end of the day.

What do you think?

JonnoN 1
Wait in line to be ripped off, only to find they're sold out? Pass
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on July 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 2
Prices are going to have to get alot more competitive for this to work. I don't mind paying a little extra to get it legal, but with Cannabis City projecting near double of black market rates? Count me out.
Posted by Akbar Fazil on July 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM · Report this
evolume 3
I haven't finished smoking my illegal weed yet, dude.
Posted by evolume http://twitter.com/evolume on July 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM · Report this
COMTE 4
Yeah, aside from the novelty I can't really envision standing in line for hours like some nerd waiting for the new Star Wars movie to open, only to find empty jars on the shelves when I finally do make it inside.

The fact that, after a full 20 months since voters approved legalization, this is the best the WSLCB (why is Liquor even still in their title anyway?) could do is simply pathetic, federal tight-rope walking or no. Meanwhile, CO is raking in the tax money from cannabis sales hand-over-fist, while WA sits on its bureaucratic thumbs watching millions go into the black market, even as the State Supreme Court continues to rake the legislature over the proverbial coals for failing to come up with the revenue to adequately fund Constitutionally-mandated education programs.

Fuck this. If this is the "best" we can do, I'll stick with Winterlife & ATM and avoid the lines - and the artificial shortages AND the ridiculous mark-ups - altogether.
Posted by COMTE on July 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM · Report this
Does anyone know how the storefronts opening is going to affect delivery services like Winterlife?
Posted by I rather like having it brought to me, for cheap on July 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 6
winterlife brings it directly to my house already.
Posted by Max Solomon on July 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM · Report this
*I'LL* bring it to your house for cheaper! Re-read the last option in the poll - us gray market folks still need to pay our rents!
Posted by Your local neighborhood weed slinger on July 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 8
@4: Yep. As of today, Denver (not Colorado, just Denver) has 340 pot stores open for business. You guys have a long way to go.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on July 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM · Report this
NaFun 9
Giving it to the WSLCB was a double-edged sword. After a few years of profits expect a statewide initiative rewriting 502 and gutting the WSLCB.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on July 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 10
I'm eager to buy pot legally, but I'm not going to bother fighting for scraps with the opening-day crowd. I'll wait for a week or so. Hopefully more stores will open soon and it won't be too crazy.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on July 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM · Report this
awwww...so now the stoners are crying because their legal weed is too expensive.

Ya, we would never have seen this coming.

blackmarket weed will be as popular as it ever was - so much for crime going down, and so much for the tax windfall that the stoners promised the rest of us.

Those of us who arent fucking stoners predicted this would happen.

go have fun being losers...
Posted by stoners are losers on July 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Womyn2me 12
I'm going to wait a week or two, so I can have the thrilling experience of buying it my actual first time without the drama. I want to savor the fun.
Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on July 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM · Report this
@9, Rewriting 502 will help immensely. I suspect the zoning restrictions have helped to massively compromise licensing and growth of retail outlets---The kiddies can go to school next to a liquor store, but not a pot store.
Posted by neo-realist on July 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM · Report this
The "smallest business of all" just so happens to be the shadiest, and I am sick and fucking tired of having to wait around for my dealer to make their rounds when I could just go to a store and pick it up when I want it.
Posted by treehugger on July 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM · Report this
Uh, where's the "I have a green card" option?
Posted by Spike1382 on July 3, 2014 at 7:10 PM · Report this
tainte 16
fuck no. i'm a medical patient. i've been enjoying legal weed for years, ya ninnies.
Posted by tainte on July 4, 2014 at 8:14 AM · Report this
I don't smoke and I normally would consider getting some to save for out-of-state guests, but I'm very pregnant and would feel self-conscious about the judgement of being seen buying pot. If I wait until that's no longer an issue, the stores won't be as busy. Bonus. :)
Posted by J from Oregon on July 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM · Report this