Wednesday, July 2, 2014

How's Georgia's New Open-Carry Law Working Out?

Posted by on Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Well, this happened on the first day, but at least nobody got shot:

A man carrying a holstered firearm entered the store to make a purchase. Another customer, also with a holstered firearm, approached him and demanded to see his identification and firearms license, according to the Valdosta Police Department report.

The police came and arrested the open-carry idiot who approached the other open-carry idiot before things spun out of control. I bet the person working behind the counter of that convenience store doesn't feel safer, now that open-carry is legal in Georgia.

Everyone's heard of Chekhov's gun, but the thing that gun rights activists never talk about is that Chekhov's gun applies to real life, too. If you're walking around with a gun on you, especially if that gun is in plain sight, you become the hero of your own action movie in your head. Even if no action-movie-style shootouts happen when you're wearing your gun, you likely think—even if it's on some subconscious ape-brain level—that no shootouts happened because you're wearing your gun. A society with thousands of people walking around just waiting for the moment where they get to shoot a terrorist in the face and become a hero is a society that is asking for a whole lot of trouble.

SPG 1
The civilian victim of the Las Vegas shootout a couple weeks ago pulled his gun trying to be the hero not realizing there were two shooters, one of whom promptly shot him. The shooters were already done shooting cops by that point, so the "hero" wound up getting killed for nothing.
Posted by SPG on July 2, 2014 at 12:41 PM · Report this
This is off topic, but I've never heard of Chekhov's Gun until now.
Posted by Foonken2 on July 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM · Report this
Would it work if they just shot each other?
Posted by caution&daring on July 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM · Report this
Fnarf 4
@3, how often do you think these nitwits hit what they're aiming at? I'd hate to be a normal person grabbing a bag of Erin's White Cheddar Popcorn and have gun nuts go off next to me.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM · Report this
--MC 5
At the end of the Trayvon Martin controversy, I remarked in an online thread that Zimmerman had achieved the American Dream: he shot and killed somebody and got away with it. I got death threats for saying it.
Posted by --MC on July 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Allyn 6
I'm waiting for the day when Open Carry meets Stand Your Ground.

A guy brings his big-assed-gun with him, someone else feels reasonably threatened. Hilarity ensues.
Posted by Allyn on July 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 7
Retail outlet Target is making headlines today for requesting open carry nutballs not open carry in their stores. Good for them. Hopefully and eventually the only places nutballs will be able to open carry will be gun ranges and designated hunting areas.
Posted by mikethehammer on July 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM · Report this
theophrastus 8
I'm guessing that shouting "look out! he's got a gun!" over any P.A. system in Georgia wouldn't be deemed protected speech ..?
Posted by theophrastus on July 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM · Report this
sikandro 9
The craziest part to me is the police aren't even allowed to ask for someone's gun license: "under the new law no one—not the cops, and certainly not a random good guy with a gun—can demand proof of licensing from any other armed citizen."
Posted by sikandro on July 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM · Report this
@4: Normal people haven't heard of Erin's White Cheddar Popcorn.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on July 2, 2014 at 1:34 PM · Report this
@4
Maybe every town creates a dusty Main Street where "open carry" guys (sounds kinky) can stare at each other & then "draw"?
Posted by caution&daring on July 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on July 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM · Report this
The Dopest 13
I personally think that open carry is the way things should be and concealed carry is the real bad times.

If your goal is to scare people off, you shouldn't have a pistol tucked in your belt, you should have a rifle slung over your shoulder.

It also has the added benefit of getting you ostracized if you go into a crowded public area with your gun which is exactly what should happen to everyone with their little revolvers and whatnot anyway. You can either feel protected and safe with a gun in your hands or you can feel welcome among the populace, not both.

However, if you want to roll Wyoming or Montana all day and night with your double-barrel I'm sure you'd be fine. See how this works out so much better?
Posted by The Dopest on July 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Does this open carry thing work with swords too? Because my dad always says that if everyone carried swords, people would be a lot more polite.
Posted by Mindymoo on July 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 15
So, in other words, it's going well. No major problems.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on July 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Posted by Bohica on July 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM · Report this
As a pro-gun guy, I'm really getting tired of the open carry fucktards.

On another note, I find it interesting that a license is required to carry a weapon in Georgia, open or otherwise, but you don't need a license in Washington.

Who woulda thunk that our gun laws would be less strict than Georgia's?
Posted by CPN on July 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM · Report this
IndicaDogwalk 18
I'd like to take the American South, saw it off and set it afloat - let them have their own little world of evangelical Christians, bigots and guns - an island of insanity afloat in the Atlantic, no longer dragging down the rest of the USA.
Posted by IndicaDogwalk on July 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 19
So, nobody got shot.

EVERYBODY PANIC?
Posted by TheMisanthrope on July 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 20
“If you're walking around with a gun on you, especially if that gun is in plain sight, you become the hero of your own action movie in your head.”

Are you speaking from experience?
Do you have empirical data to support the fact you’re asserting?

Or are you just making this stuff up?

When I’ve open carried I’ve been more focused on how I’m going to pee without my holster, gun and clips pulling my pants down to my ankles (that shits heavy). Never occurred to me I was the hero of an action movie. Just thought it was irritating that the grip of my sidearm kept getting caught in the arm of my chair when I went to get up.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on July 2, 2014 at 5:04 PM · Report this
As 5280 notes, what Little Paulie Constant shows is that this law hasn't apparently made Georgia more dangerous.

Having said that, I have no empathy for people who carry lethal weapons in public. I own one gun, a family heirloom shot once a year at our family reunion with my brothers. Otherwise it's locked in a safe with the clip and ammo elsewhere. It's a tool I simply don't need for everyday living.

As to the editorializing Paulie engages in- usual lefty histrionics with no basis in reality.
Posted by Seattleblues on July 2, 2014 at 6:04 PM · Report this
Wait, you mean there was an argument and somebody got arrested?

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.
Posted by LJM on July 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM · Report this
venomlash 24
To those saying "no worries, nobody got shot", let me remind you that we shouldn't wait until people actually start dying before we try to solve problems.

@20: Clips? I think you mean magazines.
@21: When you fire it once a year at family reunions, please tell me you use blanks. Otherwise, may I recommend you read Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut?
@22: Um, actually fascism is by definition conservative. It's authoritarian nationalism. Bigotry has its roots in xenophobia; anyone can be bigoted, but right now it's far more established in right-wing circles. I'll say that hatred is universal though. I sure hope your just trolling with that made-up weak sauce.
Posted by venomlash on July 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM · Report this
"An armed society is a polite society" said Robert Heinlen.

Well no.

Canada is a polite society. Sweden is a polite society. New Zealand is a polite society.

Our society?

Not so polite.
Posted by codswallower on July 2, 2014 at 9:09 PM · Report this
seatackled 26
I think Seattleblues claimed to own no guns last month.
Posted by seatackled on July 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM · Report this
venomlash 27
@26: He DID! :O
Seattleblues surely wouldn't lie or contradict himself, would he?
Posted by venomlash on July 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM · Report this

@27 Well to be fair in Subhumanblue's world it does get to pick and chose what "objective reality" is at any given point in time. So no within it's own reality Subhumanblues is being totally consistent.

Posted by Machiavelli was framed on July 3, 2014 at 1:06 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 29
@24
Correct. I meant Magazines. Thank you for bringing the error to my attention.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on July 3, 2014 at 1:32 AM · Report this
@26,27

The gun belonged to my father, and his before him. I hold it in trust for my nephew until he's old enough to understand what owning it means. So saying I owned a gun was a slip.

If you'd put half the effort into fact checking your own fellow travelers outright lies, laughably silly ideas and general childish worldview you put into my lightest comment you might actually learn something. This says nothing of the hstefilled bigotry and profanity laced vulgarity that passes for political discourse with lefties, but that's an approach issue.

We even agree on this one mostly, you reactionary lunatics. It's merely the idiotic histrionics of Little Paulie with which I disagree, and his wild imaginings. Not whether it's in essence a good idea to carry guns in public spaces.
Posted by Seattleblues on July 3, 2014 at 7:47 AM · Report this
venomlash 31
@30: "This says nothing of the hstefilled [sic] bigotry and profanity laced vulgarity that passes for political discourse with lefties"
Remember the stuff you say whenever Gay marriage gets Gay legalized in a Gay state? You know, going on about how "fags and dykes" are destroying marriage? If you want to see "h[a]tefilled bigotry and profanity laced vulgarity", just read your own posts.
Also, it's rich of you to accuse others of lying. I shall remind you that you have time and again stood by your ridiculous claims that:
-the Earth isn't getting warmer
-there's no such thing as sexual orientation
-hate crime laws give special rights to minorities
-gay marriage will destroy straight marriage
-evolution is fake
Do you deny any of those claims? If you were an intelligent and rational being, you'd deny every one of them.
Posted by venomlash on July 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM · Report this
Luke Baggins 32
Lets just pretend that Open Carry hasn't been the law in Arizona for decades
Posted by Luke Baggins http://bodybuildingelf.blogspot.com on July 3, 2014 at 12:20 PM · Report this