and Drunks

Monday, June 30, 2014

New Season of Community to Air on...Yahoo?

Posted by on Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Good news for the six people left who care about Community!

Community has done it, beating the odds and overcoming a cancellation to score a sixth-season order. After a couple of weeks of negotiations, series producer Sony Pictures TV has closed a deal with Yahoo for 13 new episodes to air this fall on Yahoo Screen.

In a statement, Community creator Dan Harmon says, "I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online." Which, one would assume, is intended as an anti-NBC snap. But at some point, that's going to be true, isn't it? Netflix and Amazon and the other streamers haven't released any information about viewership of their Original Streaming Content™, but they've got to be getting right up there with the big three networks. Still, I'm not a huge fan of having to go to all these different platforms to watch shows that I like or am interested in trying. (What the fuck is a Playstation Network?)

But in artistic terms, wouldn't it just be better to let Community die? I'm sure there will be a lot of self-aware jokes about the Yahoo transition, but with a smaller budget (I assume) and without Donald Glover (I presume), I'm having a hard time imagining this show as destination television. I'll tune in to the first episode—if I can figure out where to go to watch it—but unless this show is something that can only work in a digital format, it's just going to be a copy of a copy, drifting into digital nothingness.

Six viewers would be a big win for Yahoo.
Posted by unpaid reader on June 30, 2014 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 2
Was there anything else to be said after the first paintball episode?

Because I missed the deadline for watching the first few off 2nd season when they were available on Hulu ..the answer is no.

Which brings up another phenomena I might call "Netflix Hiatus". Hiatus is when a show is almost cancelled, but is certainly not on the air with new episodes. Typically there is a lag between when a broadcast season ends, and Netflix picks it up.

For a binge watcher like me, I find a series like The Following, and I devour it in a week or two. Then my choices are -- wait for a year until maybe Season 2 shows up. Or, try to stream it off Fox's horrific website (impossible). Or, pay for it on Amazon (no way).

So what I end up with is all these series which I like that are in a virtual hiatus until Netflix buys some more episodes. Just Saturday, Longmire went into hiatus. And getting the next season sometimes takes so long (Mad Men, Walking Dead) the show might as well be cancelled to me.

Do I care? Few are the series that go the distance beyond Season 2. I am skimming the cream.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on June 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Dougsf 3
I had something for this, but @1 did it better.
Posted by Dougsf on June 30, 2014 at 5:21 PM · Report this
Community was drawing a couple of million viewers before it was cancelled. if even a third of those follow it to Yahoo it'll be a win. As someone who's a fan of the show, I'm stoked. Even if it never rises to the levels of S2 & 3, it's still one of the best short-form comedies out there.
Posted by morganducks on June 30, 2014 at 7:05 PM · Report this
Sigh.... Netflix has some great stuff, but I don't expect another round of Community or The Killing to end up in that list.
Posted by ChefJoe on June 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM · Report this
Oh Paul, I've noted your concerns and your difficulty imagining. Don't care. I enjoy Community, I'm glad it'll be back, I'll be watching it.
Posted by PizmoSF on June 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 7
@2,

I've watched Community maybe a dozen or so times in syndication and three or four of those viewings have wound up being that paintball episode. So good. Other episodes have varied between abysmal & worthwhile, though the other day I caught one that spoofed NASA movies in the same vein that the paintball one does action flicks, and it was pretty great. I'd recommend tracking it down.
Posted by mikethehammer on July 1, 2014 at 12:43 AM · Report this