Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Saturday Morning News

Posted by on Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Marching for Trans Pride: The Gender Justice League's Danielle Askini hailed a recent letter by Washington's State Insurance Commissioner demanding that providers not deny healthcare to transgender people. But, she warns, "Even with these benefits being provided, we don’t have a large number of health care providers who can actually treat transgender people." If you haven't already, you absolutely must read our whole Pride issue, all about trans folks, here.

Another Huge Court Victory for Farmworkers: ...over Sakuma Brothers Farms in Skagit Valley. Eso! Previous coverage here.

Odds Are: If someone with a clipboard is talking about the minimum wage and trying to get you to sign a petition, they're working for businesses trying to overturn the $15 minimum wage.

Is A Bank Fucking You Over? The city council doesn't give a shit.

Businesses Flourishing Inside American Prisons: "...bankrolled by one of the most powerful forces in American finance: private equity." Example A, from the New York Times? A firm called JPay, which charges $3.15 for phone calls and 33 cents per email at Washington's Clallam Bay state prison.

Internet Freedom Blimp Flies Over NSA Headquarters: No word on what kind of communications it was able to vacuum up. Stand against mass surveillance here.

Did You Miss This? The City of Vancouver has officially admitted it's been built on stolen land. "While this territory was never ceded, nor our responsibility to this area ever abdicated," said the Tsleil-Waututh Nation in a statement, "its resources have been exploited and damaged through industrialization and urbanization." Reminds me of the first line of this track.

Seattle City Light CEO Jorge Carrasco: ..."wants you to look on the bright side of things." *Puts on sunglasses.* YEAHHHHHH!

Chicago: Lays off 1,150 teachers and school staff.

Benghazi Embassy Attack Suspect:

Arrested
To face trial in Washington D.C.

I think a cartoon should be made- Kid Herz and the Loony Left.

The 'hero' could sit on his butt all day whining and whimpering. His trusty chorus can agree with his ill informed or outright lying inanities.

Someday Kid Herz may grow up, become a worthwhile citizen, ease his parents despair about where they went wrong. But I doubt it.
Posted by Seattleblues on June 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM · Report this
And there is some amazing fútbol going on today as well! World Cup elimination rounds. No ties allowed at this stage. Go Colombia!
Posted by Senor Guy on June 28, 2014 at 9:40 AM · Report this
v-man 3
Arrested in Washington?
Better re-write that headline.
Posted by v-man on June 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM · Report this
JonnoN 6
what @3/@5 said. Also what @2 said! Could Neymar flop more??

I hope @1 and @4 die in horrific belt sander accidents.
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on June 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM · Report this
@6

I was raised to be a man. So while I own a belt sander (of course) I know how to use it. Protip Seattle "men". Buying tools because the color is just FABULOUS isn't a great criterion. And if your power tool isn't working, try plugging it in. Good luck!

Sorry to disappoint, Johnny Boy.
Posted by Seattleblues on June 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 8
@1,
Sounds like you.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on June 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM · Report this
@7, "I was raised to be a man."

So then what went wrong? Because you turned into a big blubbering cunt.
Posted by GermanSausage on June 28, 2014 at 10:37 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 10
@6
exactly. what you said. @4 is a little too something about @1. and @8 is right in line with @2, @7 and perhaps @1 too.
Posted by dnt trust me on June 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM · Report this
The Brit World Cup announcers on ABC sound like the characters in "Yellow Submarine".
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on June 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 12
117 minutes and still 1-1
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM · Report this
Lissa 14
@13: Sounds like you think about Paul's cock a lot. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm afraid, since Paul is straight, your tender, youthful yearnings must sadly go unrealized.
Posted by Lissa on June 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM · Report this
@12 very exciting game. Still think Chile was the better team today. That said - Go Colombia!
Posted by Senor Guy on June 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 16
@ 9, roflmao. SB walked right into that one .
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM · Report this
@7 - Your comment proves beyond a doubt the depth of your ignorance. Additionally, since you seem to be quite comfortable with that ignorance, I'll say that it points to innate stupidity. I hope no one's tried to give you any jobs more complex than rough-sanding flat wood.
Posted by Calpete on June 28, 2014 at 12:38 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 18
@16
speaking for myself, being jealous is plain awful. but i really do hope someday I find myself so befit with laughter, that I in fact roll on the floor laughing (rofl).
Posted by dnt trust me on June 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM · Report this
raindrop 20
Lots of bickering in Seattle this morning, must be the clouds. They'll probably roll away in time for a pleasant evening.
Posted by raindrop on June 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM · Report this
venomlash 21
@7: But do you own a fingerbox?
Posted by venomlash on June 28, 2014 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Sandiai 22
Here's @19:

@7 (ugh...why am responding to a troll!) im a GC. In the late '90s I spent 6 months on the rosebud reservation in SD working on buildings for sinte gleska university. When we arrived, there was no labor force, no one owned tools. Its one of the poorest communities is the US, so there's nothing to build. We trained tribal members how to build, we left our tools behind. I support owning tools, fabulously colored or not, used or not. Fuck off somewhere else. Also, @9, I know what ya meant, but I'll add that 'cunt' is a euphemism for vagina. As a straight man, I think vagina is amazing. SB is far from amazing.

As a vagina-haver, I fully support calling SB some form of a whiney simpering cunt.

Also, *I* was raised to be a woman... and yet somehow in my (machinist) father's household, that meant learning how to hunt and fish, weld, and use a WIDE variety of power tools, lathes, presses and sanders.

Allllllsssssooooo... my several well-stocked toolboxes are pink, with fun stickers on them, and I have many pink-handled tools. I choose pretty colors for my tools because I LIKE that (and because I know that the color of your tools says absolutely nothing about your competance or virility (FFS!).
Posted by Sandiai on June 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM · Report this
Lissa 23
@22: You know Seattleblues. Any kind of coloring outside the lines gives him hives. He thinks of people like they're Garanimals. The lion tag shirt goes with the lion tag pants, and woe betide us all if you try to pair it with the zebra tag skirt!
Posted by Lissa on June 28, 2014 at 4:10 PM · Report this
So, here's the score so far-

Kid Herz and the Lefty Loonies think nobody should take responsibility for the choices they make. Ever. Your house a bad investment? Not your fault! The big bad banker made you sign that mortgage by force! Taxpayers should for no clear legal reason except your dislike of the consequences overrule a valid contract.

Bad choice of college degree or skills training? Well hell, you deserve the same pay as someone with a useful skill !

And the government should make sure mass transit picks you up at your door and reaches any destination you want- without charging the real cost of doing so. To you. The guy who did well or just bought a car should pay for you to get around.

For my part I think you lot should man/woman up. Don't like your house or job or life? Do something about it. And don't assume that the cost for making your life better should fall on others. Don't blame others because you made bad choices. Learn from them and move on. In short, act like adults for once.

And I'm the whiny one in your collective delusions? What a bunch of idiots.
Posted by Seattleblues on June 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 25
Poor Seattleblues, a lot of Slog doesn't like him and they speak up about it. Isn't there a bigger threat on Slog? C'mon! Play some defense. You remind me of the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVII focusing on some tough offensive lineman, while Russel Wilson picks. you. apart.
Posted by dnt trust me on June 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM · Report this
Ansel opened his morning news with a pro trans pride post. Trans folk cause Subhumanblues to piss and shit itself in fear, and confusion. After soiling itself it stomps around ranting ignorantly. Best just to ignore it, eventually it will cry itself to sleep in the corner.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on June 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM · Report this
Knat 27
@22: Pink-handled tools would definitely spare me the annoyance of family members borrowing mine the minute they misplace theirs. Shrewd move.
Posted by Knat on June 28, 2014 at 5:31 PM · Report this
blip 28

"So, here's the score so far-

[...4 paragraphs of whining...]

And I'm the whiny one in your collective delusions? What a bunch of idiots."

This has to either be an elaborate work of performance art falling somewhere on the scale between Stephen Colbert and Ann Coulter, or terminal cognitive dissonance.
Posted by blip on June 28, 2014 at 6:41 PM · Report this
@21 For whatever reason on my first trip through this thread your post didn't register. Just caught it. :)

@28 it is terminal cognitive dissonance.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on June 28, 2014 at 7:02 PM · Report this
Sandiai 30
Yeah, @21 was really cute.
Posted by Sandiai on June 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM · Report this
"Kid Herz", although I think his writing style has room to mature, has my respect because he spent time working trying to help the situation in Haiti. If any of you rightwingers did so yourselves, or any other work to actually help other human beings that you've done that doesn't involve simply handing out money or volunteering in a soup kitchen for 2 hours, let us know about it.
Posted by sarah70 on June 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM · Report this