Tuesday, June 24, 2014

What Is the MOST You've Paid for a Record?

Posted by on Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Admittedly, twice in last six or so years this question has been asked, once in '08 by Ms. Megan Seling and then again, by me, in '11. However, BOTH times the question was asked on Line Out, not here on Slog Out, so I figured why the fuck shouldn't I ask y'all, Slog Out: How much is the most you ever paid for a record?

I'll start: I once paid $400 for the Seven Souls' sweet floater "I Still Love You."

Obviously, like most'a y'all Slog Outters, I'm a working-class jerk, so I can't make a habit of dropping THAT much cash on a single record, a 45 even, BUT this 45 landing in my lap was a once in a lifetime, an in person NOT on teh internet, shot!

yelahneb 1
I've been curious about this - has the internet killed any of the interest in collecting "rare" music? Does that term even make sense anymore?
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on June 24, 2014 at 7:11 AM · Report this
hermann_hermann 2
@1 If anything it has revitalized it. Thanks to Discogs, GEMM, & Ebay, anyone with a credit card can buy rare records from anyone, anywhere. Scenes have been internationalized like never before. I once paid nearly $50 for a pristine copy of Codek's afro-cosmic "Tim Toum".

Posted by hermann_hermann on June 24, 2014 at 7:27 AM · Report this
I once paid a little over $5k for this:

But it was signed pink vinyl, and number 6 out of a run of 100. It still seems reasonable to me.
Posted by derpyderpington on June 24, 2014 at 8:02 AM · Report this
john t 4
I just don't have the collector's impulse to spend a huge premium on "rare" music. I might spend $30 or so for an import CD of a recording by some obscure modern classical composer that I like and can only find at Amoeba in L.A., but that's my limit.

The highest price I've ever sold a record was $75 for Johnny Jewel's first solo album (I don't remember what name he was going by before he was in Glass Candy). Sold it to a Glass Candy completist who just couldn't live without it even though it was a kind of unlistenable double album of arty home-recorded drone rock.
Posted by john t on June 24, 2014 at 8:08 AM · Report this
Jessica 5
Jesus, the most I ever spent was $50 on the German import CD of the Last Unicorn soundtrack. And I worked in a record store for years.
Posted by Jessica on June 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM · Report this
I think it was 12 for 1¢ and 2 more at regular club prices.
Posted by The Other End Of The Spectrum on June 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM · Report this
ferret 7
Around $45 for a New Order Import, and around $50 for all the Beethoven symphonies by the Berlin Philharmonic. There is no point in paying a large amount of money for rare by substandard audio quality vinyl records...
Posted by ferret http://https://twitter.com/#!/okojo on June 24, 2014 at 8:28 AM · Report this
hermann_hermann 8
@7 You have exquisite taste, but inquiring minds want to know: which New Order import? Which recording of the Beethovens? Buying NO records is almost always worth the money as you get the additional pleasure of the Peter Saville covers, always a pleasure to behold.
Posted by hermann_hermann on June 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM · Report this
TLjr 9
¥7500 (about $50 back then) for the Japanese issue of the Springsteen Live 1975-1985 set, in Japan, on the day it was released. Best ¥7500 I ever spent.
Posted by TLjr on June 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM · Report this
Probably either my Animal Collective Crack Box set or The Disintegration Loops vinyl set. I don't really remember how much they cost but I remember feeling guilty after buying them. Time has passed, the guilt has faded, and I'm very happy with the purchases now.
Posted by BusyB on June 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM · Report this
T 11
I've dropped $50-60 on a single album a few times, but that's my cutoff. I don't see myself ever getting such an itch for something that I'd spend more than that.
Posted by T on June 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM · Report this
I almost paid $50 for "Stairway to Gilligans Island" as a youth , and rarely a day goes by I dont regret that I didnt get it .
Posted by neoanderthal on June 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM · Report this

About $32 for the A Group Called Smith CD.

I had to track it down on Amazon UK.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on June 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM · Report this
You say: I bought a record for $400
I hear you say: I'm a fucking idiot

Also, please, please, please, bring back Line-Out so we don't have to wade through all these posts which attract all of 4 comments each. This one, at 12 posts, must nearly be a record for you guys, probably because it isn't about music. It's about stupidity.

God. I hate that I'm being so mean! Not usually my style, but I'm (irrationally) annoyed by the pollution of slog by line-out.
Posted by ohthetrees on June 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM · Report this
$90 for ELpH vs Coil - Worship the Glitch signed by Jhonn and Sleazy
Posted by aperson on June 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM · Report this
$110 (ca. 2007) for a nice copy of Music Has the Right to Children. And then Warp has to go and reissue the damn thing...
Posted by Oast on June 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM · Report this
I paid $250 for an absolutely mint 1st pressing of Flex Your Head just a few months ago in an apparent fit of dementia. Prior to that the most was for a Japanese pressing of siouxsie and the banshees Hong Kong garden single for $65 in 1985.
Posted by Wife doesn't know on June 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM · Report this
$200 for BoC Aquarius 7" back in 2001.
Posted by Charlie Particle on June 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM · Report this
As you (Mike Nipper) know I am not really up to disclosing the costs of the records I play as a selector/DJ. I paid 'market cost' for Don Varner - Tear Stained Face and have no regrets. That is usually the most expensive record 'in the box.' I sold a US garage 45 for 7K. The most satisfying high $ was paying 600 for the Vikings "I need your lovin'". Considering the cost of, I dunno, vintage guitars or something like that, records are a cheap 'collectible'.
Posted by George Gell on June 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM · Report this
I spent $50 on an import of the Screeching Weasel s/t debut album. That was really high for me, and I can't see spending that much again. I still have trouble putting out more than $20 for a new release.

I think my most valuable record is the Harold and Maude soundtrack. I just checked eBay, and it's selling for anywhere from $350 to $700 (although who's gonna pay $700 when copies are going for $350?).
Posted by dave1976 on June 24, 2014 at 12:49 PM · Report this
Dougsf 21
I'm pretty small potatoes. $50 has always been my cutoff. I've got a handful of records that'd be worth 10 times that in M, but of course my copies are VG. I think I blew $50 on a Wipers 45 because the b-side is "Telepathic Love." Just blew $40 or so on the Icecross reissue, but it came with an awesome t-shirt, so... deal.

@14
You say: Bring back Line Out.
I hear you say: Why doesn't this site cater to my interests exactly?! What am I supposed to do with my day now?!
Posted by Dougsf on June 24, 2014 at 12:49 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 22
$225 for an original NMH "hype city soundtrack" cassette about ten years ago. I wasn't planning to go that high but I got swept up in the bidding war. Glad I did though.
Posted by mr. herriman on June 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Fnarf 23
Yeah, I won't go higher than $50. I paid that much for Frank Sinatra's first LP, the first LP on Columbia, CL-6001 and, depending on your definition, the first LP record ever issued (even though it was originally issued as an album of 78s).
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM · Report this
yelahneb 24
So you guys are collecting records because you desire to own the original media, and not the song(s) itself, which you could likely find an mp3 for. Right? You don't actually play the $400+ record, because you want it to stay in good shape - similar to other collectables, where you leave them in the original box.

Someone bemoaned a reissue of an album they'd just bought an original of. How does that work - aren't they regarded as different animals altogether?
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on June 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM · Report this
Dougsf 25
@23 i did not know that about the first LP. I would have guessed incorrectly it'd be some Irving Berlin or symphony performance or somethingrather.
Posted by Dougsf on June 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM · Report this
Dougsf 26
@24 - I'm not in the $400 (or $5k!) club, but I can answer from my perspective. First, yes, I want to own the original media. Not as some sort of obsessive or fidelity snob—I still listen to mp3's on my phone all day, it's convenient, but sometimes like at a laser print of a jpeg of the Mona Lisa just doesn't get you going. Cranking a mono copy of Beefheart's "Diddy Wah Diddy" is a whole different beast.

The $400+ folks fall into all sorts of camps—dj's will play those. That's the whole point, you come with your collection, YOU'RE the person with the so-and-so record, and your crowd would probably laugh a laptop jockey off the stage (or more realistically, out of the corner of the bar.) I'm sure there's the baseball card/comic book condition-preservation obsessed types as well, but I don't think it's that common.

And I got no problem with reissues. Some are better than others, sometimes they hurt the value of a record, sometimes they can increase it. Anyone thinking about records as a financial investment either has money to lose or is just doing it wrong. Remember too—some of the music people are talking about here only exist on mp3 because some collector dug up the track, burned it, and released it.
Posted by Dougsf on June 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM · Report this
Mrs. Fnarf 27
I've paid $50 for a couple of Scott Walker and Gene Clark LPs which is a lot for me - I consider myself lucky that the Northern Soul collecting bug has never bit (happy with just compilation cds for that stuff).
Posted by Mrs. Fnarf on June 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM · Report this
Fnarf 28
@25, I should have said "pop lp". There was a Columbia 12-inch LP from approximately the same time, CL 4001 if I'm not mistaken, that was a symphonic release. I think they were simultaneous. At the time, and for some years afterward, all pop LPs were 10", and all classical ones were 12" (this was true in the 78 era as well, where almost all pop 78s were 10", while almost all classical ones were 12").

I didn't include any large box sets, which are a separate animal in my view. The Scott Walker box was $150. The two Dean Martin boxes were more than that, I think, and so was the Bob Wills -- but hell, it was 11 CDs and 200-page book. The Beatles LPs in mono. Buck Owens. Wanda Jackson. So, so many fantastic Bear Family boxes I covet!
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM · Report this
Fnarf 29
@26, reissues have been a godsend. There are approximately ten thousand classic Blue Note and Prestige jazz LPs worth having, which means that the difference between paying $50-$200 for deep-groove originals or $11 for modern reissues is serious money. Ditto even more so with crazy super-rare Colombian or Brazilian LPs that are essentially unfindable for any amount of money but can now be had for $10-20 -- yes, I can get behind that.

One of the Northern Soul compilation CDs from Kent or Ace that Mrs. Fnarf @27 mentions can easily have $10,000 worth of singles on it. And detailed liner notes to boot. How much would I have paid for the impossible obscurities on my "Soft Sounds For Gentle People" or "Ripples" or "Spiritual Obscurities" CDs?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM · Report this
julie russell 30
Too much.
Posted by julie russell http:// on June 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM · Report this
very bad homo 31
$35 for an autographed Knitters LP (because I'm a huge X fan).
Posted by very bad homo on June 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM · Report this
LEE. 32
I think I paid about $70 for Swans' "Public Castration Is A Good Idea". Since their originals usually go for north of $100 I think it was a good deal. Not as good as when I found their first LP in the used bin of the Ave Tower Records for $10, but I digress. The creeping fear of being one decent paycheck away from blowing a couple hundred dollars on a single record off Discogs is very, very real.
Posted by LEE. on June 25, 2014 at 12:40 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 33
i just paid $12 for a big youth lp and it fucking sucks.

i hate 80's reggae. WTF happened to that island?
Posted by Max Solomon on June 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM · Report this
rob! 34
$50 for The Virons' 1981 "Imitation Dog Doo Souvenir" (A Side "Levitation Walk").

Kidding. But it's a real record, and I owned it once. May still, somewhere. If so, I'll probably cash in.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on June 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM · Report this