Friday, June 20, 2014

Friday Slog Poll: Should It Be Legal to Give Your Pet a Tattoo?

Posted by on Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM

This week, New York State made it illegal for you to tattoo your dog. Not to tattoo a picture of your dog on your own body, that's still fine. But tattooing a picture on your dog? No-go, says New York. I was not even aware that people were tattooing their pets, but a quick Google search will find you some very real photos of tattooed pets (hairless cats seem to be a favorite, and at least one of them looks hella tough). You can also find a tattooed dog above this short NPR story on New York's new law:

The soon-to-be-law, which gained bipartisan support and was endorsed by the Humane Society of New York, prohibits "unnecessary body modification" of animals but includes an exemption for piercings or tattoos for the purpose of medical identification.

Democratic Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal after noticing "gothic kittens" with tattoos and piercings for sale online.

"Companion animals... will no longer be subject to the selfish whims of their owners," Rosenthal said after the bill cleared the assembly.

I'm a bit more concerned about that poor pooch's haircut than his tattoo. But there are a lot of questions to answer. Should we bring the anti-pet-tattoo law to Washington State? Wait, have any of you tattooed a pet?!? Does PETA know about this yet, and if not, what fucked-up campaign are they gonna run once they find out?

I say: Looks like it's time for a Legally Binding Slog Poll™!

Urgutha Forka 1
Attention whores will do anything to get attention
Posted by Urgutha Forka on June 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM · Report this
Fnarf 2
Tattooing your dog should get you twenty years in the pen.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 20, 2014 at 9:49 AM · Report this
mikethehammer 3
@2,

Fuck that, it should get you drawn & quartered.

Anytime your pet is put under anesthetic there's a risk. I've actually known a couple people who've either lost dogs or had close calls due to a vet somehow mis-calibrating dosages. And I'd be loathe to trust any anesthesiologist working a pet tattoo clinic. Humans are the worst, indeed.
Posted by mikethehammer on June 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM · Report this
Laurence Ballard 4
@2 & 3 have it covered.

All of my animal companions are rescues. It's already hard enough saving discarded pets in shelters and finding them new homes without adding the additional burdensome layer of a former possessor's overweening sense of property and entitlement exemplified by a permanent, lame-ass tattoo on an animal's skin.
Posted by Laurence Ballard http://laurenceballard.com on June 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
Why does this make me think of slave owners branding their property with pleasing artistic designs?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 6
WTF? *unintelligible argle bargle*

Who the fuck tattoos their dog? (or cat?) I can't even imagine such a thing. Or at least I couldn't until reading this. Ugh. I have a tattoo myself, so I'm not totally anti-tattoo. But never on a pet. Jesus. Pets are just little furry things that are supposed to give us warm happy thoughts.

Gah! *runs, screaming gibberish down the street*

I don't know why I'm all worked up over this, but tattooing pets is seriously fucked up.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on June 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM · Report this
Tovirus 7
I assume everyone bitching about pets being tattooed is vegetarian. Otherwise it seems pretty hypocritical. I've been subjected to hundreds of hours of tattooing and sure it hurts, but it's better than being killed and eaten.
Posted by Tovirus on June 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM · Report this
Mahtli69 8
What about cropping of ears and tails? People do that shit all the time for no benefit other than appearance.
Posted by Mahtli69 on June 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM · Report this
Fred Casely 9
I'm going with "fucked up and pointless." But the choices should have included "legal for pitbulls only" and "legal for every breed but pitbulls."
Posted by Fred Casely on June 20, 2014 at 10:51 AM · Report this
seandr 10
This is bullshit. What will they ban next, doggy nipple piercings?
Posted by seandr on June 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 11
I always find it entertaining how up in arms people get when there is a chance a dog has been mistreated, but another animal we eat or do not view as "acceptable" pets?

Hey, whatever.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on June 20, 2014 at 11:05 AM · Report this
I ate an animal today. Animals are property. Also, my couch is made from an animal.

I despise pet parents.
Posted by mage on June 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 13
Considering the way people project so much of their own personalities on their pets, it's not surprising that freaks are projecting their self-mutilation desires onto Fido as well.
Posted by Sir Vic on June 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 14
@13, you win Slog today!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM · Report this
Xilonen03 15
@7 "I've been subjected to hundreds of hours of tattooing and sure it hurts, but it's better than being killed and eaten."

Two things.

First, you chose to subject yourself to those hundreds of hours. Your dog didn't. You knew what you were getting into and you found it worth it because the outcome of providing you continuing pleasure outweighed the temporary discomfort. Your dog is going to get nothing out of the experience except the discomfort; the benefit isn't for them, it's for the selfish owner who will trade another being's pain for their amusement.

Secondly, unless you're given the choice between "kill and eat your dog or get it a tattoo" then defending one because it's more humane than the other is a false dichotomy. Most pets will get neither tattooed nor consumed, so the third, morally preferable, option is to just realize that both are harmful and do neither.

Now, do I think that tattooing a pet is morally reprehensible or cruel? Not really, if it's done under proper anesthesia and medical supervision. But do I think that it's completely free from harm? No. In my mind that puts it alongside things like dew claw removal, tail docking, or declawing - stupid things humans do to animals because they can.
Posted by Xilonen03 on June 20, 2014 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 16
@7 has a point - we should allow random people to tattoo vegetarians if they want to, especially if they gag them first.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 17
It costs something like $40,000 a year to jail a person. Let's be real.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on June 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM · Report this
julie russell 18
Horrible. Unnecessary. Cruel.

That being said, one of our dogs had a tattoo when she came to us. She had been seized by police in Austin when her former owner was arrested. While he was in jail, the dog was at a shelter and they spayed her/ gave her tiny tattoo of the female symbol w/ a slash thru it on her belly.

Weird. Should not be allowed electively
Posted by julie russell http:// on June 20, 2014 at 7:04 PM · Report this
Wow. On a forum where everyone chooses their favorite identity politic by which they live and die, the one thing that brings everyone together is wittle puppies gettin ther wittle stomachs tattooed.

No one can agree on whether a bunch of kids getting bullets in their brains is an acceptable cost of our freedumbs, but sticking a needle into the upper layers of dermis on a dog freaks you all the fuck out.
Posted by johnjjeeves on June 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM · Report this
HandlebarWallace 20
@17- Excellent point but it needs to be illegal so that they can prevent it. I knew a dog that was killed randomly by a neighbor, weird, premeditated, drive-to-the-river shit. Because the dog had been a free rescue it was charged as theft of property worth under $50.
Posted by HandlebarWallace on June 23, 2014 at 1:17 AM · Report this