Thursday, June 19, 2014

"If America Laughs at This, America Is Beyond Redemption"

Posted by on Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM

That subject line's but one of the poster-ready hype quotes coming out the Religious Right about the film Obvious Child, a low-key rom-com whose main character has an abortion and doesn't freak out/die/regret it.

From Right Wing Watch (bolds mine):

Arina Grossu, director of the Center for Human Dignity at the Family Research Council, told The Daily Signal that she is “appalled that the evil of abortion is now the subject of a ‘romantic comedy.’

Grossu, who has not yet seen the film, has a different take.

“The movie attempts to gloss over the gravity of abortion,” she said. “But no amount of acting or short-lived laughs can take away the reality that abortion is a grave moral evil that kills one person and wounds the other.”

Obvious Child begins its Seattle run tomorrow at the Guild 45th. Read Alison Hallett's (very positive) review of the film here, find screening times here, and watch the trailer below.

Catalina Vel-DuRay 1
I've known a lot of women who had abortions and didn't freak out/die/regret it. But I live in the reality-based world.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on June 19, 2014 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Enigma 2
I saw this at SIFF and can't recommend it highly enough.
Jenny Slate is wonderful, the direction is great, and the supporting cast is great. It's about more than 'just abortion' and I'm planning a trip to see it again with a bunch of friends.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM · Report this
Aurora Erratic 3
It's about time. I've always thought it's weird how movies and TV shows act as if abortion doesn't exist.
Posted by Aurora Erratic http://www.finemesspottery.com on June 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM · Report this
sirkowski 4
Yes, we're beyond redemption. So you can stop trying.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on June 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM · Report this
fletc3her 5
What @4 said.

I don't know anybody who is really cheery about getting an abortion, but I think ultimately they all recognize that the alternative would have been worse for their life at that time. It isn't like they didn't have kids later when they were married and better situated.
Posted by fletc3her on June 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 6
@1: I have. Not a lot, one or two. Reality-based world is redundant.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on June 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM · Report this
venomlash 7
I'd like to know where these people were when movies like "No Country For Old Men" were made. Hey, people actually DO commit murder and get away with it in those! Selective outrage is the name of the game.
Posted by venomlash on June 19, 2014 at 4:14 PM · Report this
Knat 8
As a teenager, I saw an episode of Roseanne where they discussed the possibility of Darlene (?) getting an abortion, and I was surprised that Roseanne actually said the word out loud. So many shows (and even some movies) always seem to hint at it without saying the word.

Personally, I think we're overdue for a Scrubs-style sitcom that takes place in a Planned Parenthood.
Posted by Knat on June 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM · Report this
Of course abortion is up to the person carrying the zygote (presumably it's a woman). Of course it's not a sin, not illegal, not meniscal, not heinous. It's just one of those things in life.

Having said that, some things in life are not entertainment and do carry gravity. I disagree with the handling of many things in entertainment. Gratuitous sex with not consequences, violence and blood for the fun of it all, watching people suffer just to get off, and, abortion.

These are not light or funny things. Sure, I absolutely support abortion rights, but if we're smart, we'll treat the right with the respect it deserves. Abortion is not about sex, it's about a woman's life, health, body. Those are not funny things. There are a lot of people on the fence that will be all the more energized to take abortion rights away if they perceive it is being abused.

And yes, it's gross and contrary to a civilized culture to be entertained by some things. Sad to say.
Posted by rshoff on June 20, 2014 at 12:57 PM · Report this
Er, I meant 'maniacal', not meniscal...... Spell check does strange things.
Posted by rshoff on June 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM · Report this