Tuesday, June 17, 2014

YouTube to Block Videos By Musicians Who Don't Want to Be a Part of Its Streaming Service

Posted by on Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Robert Cookson at the Financial Times writes that YouTube is about to delete music videos "by artists including Adele and the Arctic Monkeys, after a number of independent record labels refused to sign up to the licensing terms for its new subscription service" Ben Popper at The Verge confirms:

A source familiar with the situation has confirmed to The Verge that most of the details in the FT story were accurate. YouTube does not want to launch a paid service and then be forced to show some videos in ad-supported mode, or offer users the ability to take videos offline, but not be able to offer that for big names like Adele or Jack White. It is going to begin blocking artists whose labels have not signed on to its new licensing terms in the countries where those deals apply starting within just a few days, although the paid service is not expected to roll out that soon.

YouTube is a popular site for two reasons. First, it's fairly easy to use. And second, it's got everything. If YouTube is going to start deleting videos because the owners of the videos don't want to do business with YouTube, that changes the deal.

And it's entirely possible that I'm going to eat these words, but who the hell wants a music video streaming service? I can understand the appeal of a music streaming service because it provides a much larger library than the one you own. But who watches videos over and over again? Who wants to waste their phone's data plans on videos when they could stream the songs instead? Who spends a lot of time sitting in front of the computer watching music videos? We mock MTV for not running music videos, but the truth is that an unending stream of music videos is a boring thing. I can't imagine that many people who'd be willing to pay for that privilege.

I don't much care about music videos per se, but it's often the easiest way to hear new (to me) music. YouTube has become this generation's jukebox. Plug in a song title and artist and even if there's not an official video you'll find a lyric or a fan made something and you're done.

I mean, I have Spotify at home, but that's so loagy as to be untenable and I'm not a fan of other streaming services, so there I go.
Posted by Chris B http://eccentric-orbit.org on June 17, 2014 at 12:47 PM · Report this
YouTube's corporate overlords are Google, they're evidently intent on monetizing their purchase price for the division, and they've been taking extortion lessons from Amazon, by the look of things.

Posted by Brooklyn Reader on June 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM · Report this
I like watching music videos at the gym, so I might use it there and watch the data usage carefully. Oh, wait, my gym is a goddamn Faraday cage. Nevermind.
Posted by wxPDX on June 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM · Report this
My kids love watching music videos at home over and over -- What Does the Fox Say, Let It Go, The Duck Song...

Come to think of it, having some content get removed might end up being a good thing!
Posted by Get it out, get it out, get this song out of my head on June 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Leishalynn 5
When MTV was new and played music videos, we used to turn it on during our parties -- eat, drink, get high, dance, talk over it, every once in a while, "Look at that one! Have you seen that one?" It was a great. Why not stream YouTube music videos on your TV, put together playlists for special occasions? Not everything has to be viewed on a tiny screen, in private. That said, YouTube's censorship will be great for their competitors.
Posted by Leishalynn on June 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM · Report this
treacle 6
Information Superhighway Robbery, and nothing more.

Why take this open platform and change the rules so as to diminish it? Fucking profiteers. It's not like Google isn't super-fucking-rich already. I mean, have you read about the Loon project? Christ.
Posted by treacle on June 17, 2014 at 2:15 PM · Report this
I watch music videos with my daughter a lot. I stream them from youtube onto my TV using a chromecast. lots of people do this.
Posted by sean horse on June 17, 2014 at 3:45 PM · Report this
Don't Be Google.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on June 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM · Report this
my wife uses youtube as a jukebox/streaming audio whatever you want to call it.

no login. no subscription. turn it on. set it to play. listen to music in the background while you do whatever. . .

Posted by explainingtheinternettopaul on June 17, 2014 at 5:38 PM · Report this
sirkowski 10
Well the Financial Times article is behind a paywall.... isn't that fucking ironic?
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on June 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM · Report this
NopeNope 11
I'd venture to say that I watch at least an hour of music videos a day on average. But I keeps it punk, with the occasional Whitney Houston or John Mellencamp video from time to time when I feel like a throwback, so I don't know if my YouTube habits will be affected much.

YouTube has a great thing going for them. They should be careful to not fuck it up and go the way of Myspace.
Posted by NopeNope on June 18, 2014 at 6:37 AM · Report this
This is capitalism 101. Get big enough that people need you, then gouge like crazy. Monopolies are always the goal.
Posted by mage on June 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM · Report this