Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Panera Pledges to Serve Real Food by 2016

Posted by on Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Mary Beth Quirk at Consumerist writes:

As consumers increasingly turn toward the lists of ingredients to check out what they’re eating, Panera Bread has announced a plan to ditch all artificial additives from all the food on its menu by the end of 2016. Out go the artificial colors, sweeteners and preservatives, from everything.

Drinks are another matter, as Panera says it’s working on removing high-fructose corn syrup from many of them, reports USA Today.

I want to serve food that I want to eat,” says Ron Shaich, founder and CEO of Panera, which has 1,800 locations across the country.

So is Shaich admitting that he doesn't want to eat the food that his own company currently serves?

TCLballardwallymont 1
Does Shaich kill and eat babies? Did aliens create the Panera bread menu? Shaich, did he build the pyramids? We may never know, but that won't stop us from asking in this episode of 'Stupid Shit for a Slow News Day', now with more extreme extremeness!
Posted by TCLballardwallymont on June 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM · Report this
I wonder what the American restaurant franchise landscape would look like if each franchise served food its CEO and Board of Executives would want to eat.
Posted by organic vegetable gardens everywhere on June 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM · Report this
18 months seems like a long wait.
Posted by unpaid reader on June 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
So long as they pay $15 an hour - cool
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM · Report this
Mahtli69 5
So they will be phasing in real food at the same time they're phasing out human employees?
Posted by Mahtli69 on June 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM · Report this
@3: To change suppliers, ingredients, recipes, menus, etc., at 1,800 restaurants? Really?
Posted by bigyaz on June 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
I was wondering, are there even any Panera locations in Seattle? They're all out in the suburban malls, aren't they? So I checked, and....yup. Northgate and Broadway are the only two. AHHH HAH HAH what the fuck happened to Broadway, anyways? Panera, Office Max...what's next, a Brookstone? Lady Foot Locker? Yankee Candle?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 8
@7 back in the day they had a Gap on Broadway, and nothing is more gay than the Gap.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 3, 2014 at 4:28 PM · Report this
sikandro 9
I almost had to call things off with my fiancee when I heard she'd gone to Panera on Broadway instead of one of the dozens of nearby cafes.
Posted by sikandro on June 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM · Report this

It's amusing that a bread outlet uses has additives to begin with!

Over the last few months I have been baking my own bread, making my own dough.

What I find is that even recipes for bread are full of irrelevant or even wrong information. I kept reducing what was needed down to just wheat and yeast and surprise, it seems to work the best! No sugar, no salt, and even then, I have reduced the amount of yeast.

I made my own small pizza last night and it was great.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on June 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM · Report this
fletc3her 11
I think it's great for Panera to do this. It's easy to be snarky, but I think if you go to most of your dozens of nearby cafes on Broadway and scrutinize their supply chain not all of them are locally sourcing their roast beef from grain fed cattle. Many of them are selling what Sysco delivers. It's a good thing for fast food chains like Panera and Chipotle to concentrate on the quality of their ingredients. It will move not just other fast food chains, but also make it easier for more local outlets to carry more natural foods.

I went to Hitchcock in Winslow and had a very nice farm to table meal a couple weeks ago. I heartily recommend it, but it wasn't cheap.
Posted by fletc3her on June 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM · Report this
MarkyMark 12
Admit it - you know you really want a Victoria's Secret on Broadway... and a Cinnabon for all the stoners...
Posted by MarkyMark on June 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM · Report this
venomlash 13
@10: The inevitable conclusion? Enjoy your matzah.
Posted by venomlash on June 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM · Report this
@13, it's still chametz at this point. If indeed he actually did what he says, which is doubtful.
Posted by sarah70 on June 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM · Report this
@7, Broadway used to have a Burger King, Hot Topic, Gap, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Pay Less Shoe Store, Baskin Robbins, there was a KFC on Pike.
Posted by CommonKnowledge on June 4, 2014 at 9:12 AM · Report this
venomlash 16
@14: He said he reduced the amount of yeast. Extrapolating from that...
Posted by venomlash on June 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM · Report this