Thursday, May 29, 2014

Boy Shoots Baby

Posted by on Thu, May 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Nothing new here:

Two small brothers and their mother were visiting a family friend in their Arizona apartment complex when the boys slipped into another room. That's where the older boy, 3, saw a handgun, picked it up and fired, shooting his little brother, 18 months, in the head.
The mother entered the room just as the bullet hit her baby's head.

'Boy shots baby.'
Posted by treehugger on May 29, 2014 at 8:21 AM · Report this
JonnoN 2
don't you mean Boy Second Amendments Baby?
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on May 29, 2014 at 8:52 AM · Report this
COMTE 3
Cue the NRA Fetishists to Gunsplain to us why we have no right to criticize responsible Second Amendment Exercisers over this regrettable, but completely understandable accident.

And deepest condolences to the family.
Posted by COMTE on May 29, 2014 at 9:02 AM · Report this
I wish Americans would tell me why they don't believe in keeping small children away from firearms. Bet the Arizona friend says "but it's my RIIIIIIIIIIGHT!" or "obviously the 18-month-old was a clear and present danger to the 3-year-old. Good thing I left the gun around." It's never the gun owner's fault because America!!
Posted by Firearms for all include retards, crazies & idiots on May 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM · Report this
Wow, you actually corrected a mistake that you made. You're one step closer to being a journalist. At this rate, people will be taking you seriously by 2050!
Posted by treehugger on May 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM · Report this
@5 I find that Charles not only corrects his mistakes, but from time to time apologizes for them. He is almost too genteel for The Stranger.
Posted by that's a compliment, effendi on May 29, 2014 at 9:14 AM · Report this
@5 Well, then he'll have more than a few years on you. Maybe you should try not being such an asshole.
Posted by stating the obvious on May 29, 2014 at 9:48 AM · Report this
AFinch 8
So, clearly this means the 18-month old should have been armed himself.

I just cannot imagine the horror of walking into a room and seeing that...that poor woman will never ever get completely over that.
Posted by AFinch on May 29, 2014 at 11:37 AM · Report this
I'm a woman closing in on 60 years and I've never once in my life had the thought that I'd feel safer if I had a gun. Never.
Posted by Spokalou on May 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Fred Casely 10
Thanks for making us click through to find out whether or not the baby actually died (he did).
Posted by Fred Casely on May 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM · Report this
raindrop 11
@9: If you had a psychotic ex after you or a stalker with the premeditation of "...if I can't have you, nobody can.." - would you still make that statement?
Posted by raindrop on May 29, 2014 at 12:20 PM · Report this
@11 yeah. 1 - A gun stored properly is useless in an emergency. 2 - A gun constantly at the ready is a danger to all in the vicinity. 3 -Lacking physical prowess, it's likely that I'd be overpowered and the weapon used against me. If I feared for my life with a stalker or psychotic ex, I'd do my best to disappear. "Flight, not Fight" is my motto.
Posted by Spokalou on May 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 13
@11: as joe the plumber once said: "my hypothetical scenario trumps the bullet in your child's head".

i might be paraphrasing a bit.
Posted by Max Solomon on May 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM · Report this
TCLballardwallymont 14
Gun not properly stored, children not properly supervised, and the lives of a bunch of people shattered. Perfect opportunity to make political points! Bonus points for rhetoric issued before the body is even cold!
Posted by TCLballardwallymont on May 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM · Report this
raindrop 15
@13: Are you actually saying that no woman has ever been murdered by an enraged ex?
Posted by raindrop on May 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM · Report this
raindrop 16
@13: Or, the boy shooting the baby was hypothetical at one point, right?
One hypothesis does not cancel another one out.
Posted by raindrop on May 29, 2014 at 3:19 PM · Report this
venomlash 17
@15: What he is saying is that a gun that saves a woman's life from an enraged ex was endangering the lives of everyone in the house. It's luck of the draw, really. Which will happen first: defending yourself with the gun or someone accidentally shooting someone else with it?
Posted by venomlash on May 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM · Report this
#14 Yeah, that's the tragedy here, according to you: a political point might be made, not the dead baby.
Posted by judybrowni on May 29, 2014 at 5:40 PM · Report this
Hrm, when I look for news out of Arizona I see this:

She said that Tuesday night she went to the Greyhound station on Buckeye Road and found 50 women and young children who had just been released by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Among the children were infants 6 months old.

"Some of the kids were crying," Whitmore said. "Some were infants that weren't fully clothed. They didn't have diapers. They didn't have formula."

Laurie Melrood, a volunteer family advocate in Tucson, said ICE has been dropping off small numbers of migrants at the Greyhound bus station there for about seven months.

But on Monday, she said, ICE dropped off about 70 people, followed by another 90 on Tuesday and at least 60 on Wednesday.

She said all of the migrants dropped off this week were women and children. In the past, most were adult men and women.

"The conditions under which they are released are inadequate and inhumane," she said.
Posted by ChefJoe on May 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM · Report this
But, here you go Charles, even in China with some of the world's most restrictive gun laws, they can be fired unintentionally. I guess the real difference is that when Chinese cops fire a gun unintintionally, they get punished and their leaders get suspended whereas in the US that results in paid leave.

BEIJING (AP) -- A handgun went off during a police safety talk at a kindergarten in the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou on Thursday, injuring four adults and one child, police said.

The gun misfired during a demonstration and the bullet struck the ground, sending up sparks and cement that hit the arms and legs of bystanders, the city's Zhengdong police post said on its microblog.

The injuries were minor, the statement said. It said two police officers involved were confined as an internal punishment by the department, and that a deputy director, a squad chief and an instructor had been suspended.

Police extended "heartfelt apologies," it said.
Posted by ChefJoe on May 29, 2014 at 9:22 PM · Report this