Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Spencer Moody's Don't Ask Me About My Failed Business Opens Tomorrow

Posted by on Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM

DSCF0929-2.JPG

Art! Music! Tomorrow! Magical bar/nook Speckled and Drake will be presenting Don't Ask Me About My Failed Business, a retrospective of visual art made by former Seattle artist/musician Spencer Moody (Speckled and Drake lives in the space formerly occupied by The Anne Bonny, Moody's beloved junk shop that closed in 2009). The show will include Moody's work from over the last ten years, as well as a body of new work being shown for the first time.

The show also marks the release of a split 7" featuring "Yoked Out" by Moody and "Spirit Curtain" by Corey J Brewer—the limited pressing comes with an original poster by Cali Dewitt.

7 - 11 p.m., short set by Cory J Brewer at 10 pm// 1355 E Olive

Moody currently works as a coffee roaster, visual artist, poet, and musician and lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Germaine "Coco" Howard and their dog Frank. In 2012 Moody and Howard were invited to Washington State University to show visual art and lecture as members of WSU's visiting artist program. After fronting the Murder City Devils, Moody collaborated with Brewer in Triumph of Lethergy Skinned Alive to Death.

Grant Brissey, Emeritus 1
This is what's what.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on May 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Not to be missed!

You may also remember Spencer Moody from his "What we do is for all the beautiful faggots!" rant at Sasquatch in 2009.

He is my one of my heroes.
Posted by Kelly O on May 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM · Report this
Keekee 3
Ha ha! I remember him for all the editorial blow-jobs the Stranger has given him over the years.
Posted by Keekee on May 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 4
why does everyone move to LA to roast coffee?
Posted by Max Solomon on May 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM · Report this
I thought the Anne Bonney was wear Indian Summer is now? Am I remembering wrong?
Posted by whothefuckisthis on May 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM · Report this
Wait, I remember now. First location was on Olive.

Cool event!
Posted by whothefuckisthis on May 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM · Report this
I was at a show upstairs at the Anne Bonney once and had a really sudden low blood sugar moment (dehydrated, hot, uncomfortable clothes, food poisoning...who knows...fortunately a one-time incident a long time ago) and I just knew I had to sit down, close my eyes, and have some water and a snack. Just when I could have been embarrassed to be at a show (alone) and have a mini-meltdown in front of all these rockers, who came to the rescue?? Coco...wow...nicest lady ever. She just "mommed out" for awhile, hung with me, got me water, found me a chair, chatted me up while I rested, made sure I was going to get home safely (I was fine after the water and sitting down). I will never forget it! Spencer, too. Great people.
Posted by abomb on May 28, 2014 at 1:29 PM · Report this