Sunday, May 25, 2014

Tyler, the Creator Was Just All Right

Posted by on Sun, May 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM

35_Tyler_the_Creator_7541.jpg
  • Josh Bis

I’ve been a fan of Odd Future and Tyler, the Creator since his no-budget classic Bastard came out just before 2010 (fucking hipster, I know), and have even seen him live a couple times before, but his performance on the Bigfoot Stage was probably the weakest showing I’ve witnessed from him. It could’ve been the setlist – no Bastard throwbacks, three Goblin cuts (“Tron Cat,” “Yonkers” and the ultra-belligerent “Bitch Suck Dick,” which is basically a less clever, less fun version of far-superior Bastard track “Tina” anyways) the rest stuff from the Odd Future Tape Vol. 2 and his still-great Wolf album that just seemed to not really resonate with the crowd.

Look at that enthusiasm in his face
  • Josh Bis
  • Look at that enthusiasm in his face

It could’ve been his, or the way-young audience’s energy level – his was still high, but very middling for as naturally gifted of a performer as he is, and he kept noting the crowd’s weak responses when he called for cheers. He still tried hamming it up, talking shit to and with the audience (“I like white people, I see a lot of y’all are here”), and keeping the energy high as he could, but something just seemed off. Still, stuff like “Bimmer,” “Domo23,” and closer “Tamale” sounded huge, and the actually hella deep “48” was pristine. But with a 10pm start time, all the kids there seemed too faded to care.

stinkbug 1
In previous years you guys had at least one or two Folklife postings. I guess you guys have totally given up on it though. Sad.
Posted by stinkbug on May 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM · Report this
You boppin' bitch, you like this dick?
We all know why, cause you's a boppin' bitch
I got a burner, I pop you in your lip
Zoom-zoom, yeah, I'm going fast bitch
I'm loud as fuck, I'm ignorant
Beat your bitch in her mouth just for talkin' shit
You lurkin' bitch? Well, I see that shit
Once again I gotta punch a bitch in her shit
I'm icy bitch, don't look at my wrist
Because if you do, I might blind you bitch

Fuck Tyler the Creator
Posted by Sundayclothes on May 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM · Report this
I hate gays, gangbangers and fuckin' jerkers
Unless it's gay gangbangers: that's fuckin' jerkers
Whoa yo, yo... no homo, I'm not gay, faggot
Odd Future Wolf Gang, Wu-Tang bangin' in your system
Probably banging in your sister with my children swimmin' in her system

FUCK Tyler the Creator
Posted by sundayclothes on May 26, 2014 at 11:17 AM · Report this
sounds like a great concert to take a 15 month old baby to.....
Posted by hipsters make shitty parents on May 26, 2014 at 5:47 PM · Report this
Simple answer = Seattle upperclass white hipsters and faux liberals do not like black music...unless its old tyme jazz or blues or something they feel comfortable co-opting.
Posted by araucania on May 26, 2014 at 8:38 PM · Report this