Friday, May 23, 2014

Where Would I Get a Drink Tonight?

Posted by on Fri, May 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I was just interviewed by a woman writing a travel piece about Seattle and her final question for me was this: Where would I get a drink tonight if I was 1. in Seattle (I'm not) and 2. needed a drink (I do). Without question: Barnacle, a tiny—and hidden—Italian apertivo bar tucked away next to The Walrus and the Carpenter in Ballard. And here's why I would be biking to Barnacle tonight if I was at home:

barnacleohmyyum.jpg

That drink? That's a No Tree, No Shade—a cocktail created in honor of Seattle's own Ben "Miss Congeniality" DeLaCreme (she wuz robbed)—and it is fucking delicious: vodka, cassis, Sicilian blood orange liquor, and prosecco. I could drink five of them. I have drank (drunk? drinked? quaffed? queefed?) five of them. And that red stuff on the plate is venison carpaccio with pickled fiddlehead ferns. Also fucking delicious. And best of all—and such a wonderful compliment to a No Tree, No Shade—that's a bowl of potato chips in the upper left hand corner of the pic. Chips are free at Barnacle and free chips have no carbs and no calories—it's true.

Being asked where I would get a drink in Seattle tonight made me want a No Tree, No Shade so badly that it's kind of killing me that I can't have one. Chips I can get in Chicago, that drink I can't. But you can get one, Sloggers, and a bowl of chips too.

Jubilation T. Cornball 1
Absolutely agree! Barnacle is an American treasure! With chips!
Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball on May 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
If I would guess for any guy in the universe to queef, it would be Dan Savage.
Posted by dnt trust me on May 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM · Report this
DOUG. 3
Al's Tavern.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on May 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM · Report this
We were just there last night drinking that very same drink. Great place!
Posted by David Tatelman on May 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM · Report this
matt 5
And where would/will/do you go for a drink in Chicago?
Posted by matt on May 23, 2014 at 2:44 PM · Report this
I'm surprised the resident militant vegan (Kuku or Ruku or something) hasn't bitched about the picture of that delicious looking carpaccio yet.
Posted by Trinidad Scorpion on May 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Kevin_BGFH 7
I absolutely adore BenDeLaCreme (and have a little crush on Ben). If I ever make it back to Seattle, I will have to have one of these in her honor. Or train my local bar (where I got to see BenDeLaCreme perform live) how to make them.
Posted by Kevin_BGFH http://biggayfrathouse.typepad.com/blog/ on May 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Dan, What is your bike route from Capitol Hill to Ballard?
Such a slog.
Posted by jnonymous on May 24, 2014 at 2:30 AM · Report this
"But you can get one, Sloggers, and a bowl of chips too."

So Seattle-ist. :-)

Sure, I can get one, but only after a long airplane ride...

Did y'all know free salty snacks are called "thirst builders" in the restaurant biz? LOL.
Posted by delta35 on May 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM · Report this
I've never had Sicilian blood orange liquor, venison carpaccio, or fiddlehead ferns, pickled or otherwise.

I'm such a fucking rube.
Posted by Functional Atheist on May 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM · Report this
I can walk to this place from my house. I love my life. I love Seattle.
Posted by Compass Rose on June 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM · Report this