Monday, May 19, 2014

Who's Gonna Win the Stanley Cup?

Posted by on Mon, May 19, 2014 at 8:11 AM

The NHL playoffs are now in round three of four and, admittedly, I haven't been following them as closely as usual because, well, the Nashville Predators didn't make the playoffs this year* and I'm not sure my heart can take another Chicago victory (I hate you, Kane; I hate you, "Chelsea Dagger").

But regardless of who's playing, playoff hockey is some of the most exciting hockey to watch. And here's where were at: Last night the Blackhawks beat the L.A. Kings and on Saturday New York took the series lead by scoring SEVEN goals on Montreal. SEVEN. Poor Canadiens. But perhaps that was New York's goal quota for the series? Maybe the Habs will shut 'em out every time now!

I'm just glad the Canadiens or the Rangers will get to the finals because neither of them have been since the ’90s. I like underdogs. So I'm rooting for whoever wins that series to go and kick either L.A.'s or Chicago's ass. (Preferably L.A. because go away Chicago.)

Who do you think will win the Cup? I'm predicting the Habs. I don't know why. That's what I want to see happen. I like P. K. Subban.

* But now the Preds have some fresh coaching blood (welcome to town, Peter Laviolette!), so perhaps that's what they need to get back on track next season. I am hopeful!

I always root for the Canadian team when it comes to hockey. The best players on the Blackhawks are Canadians; why not give the prize to a team in that actual country? That said, I'm going to have to sit out actual cheering if it comes down to Candiens vs. Blackhawks as to not be attacked in bars here in Chicago.
Posted by AndyInChicago on May 19, 2014 at 8:16 AM · Report this
dotSpec 2
It'll be whoever wins the Blackhawks/Kings series because there is no god.
Posted by dotSpec http://www.spec907.net on May 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM · Report this
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://www.zombo.com on May 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 4
I'm rooting for the Canadiens because it would be nice if someone who hasn't won the Cup in the past six years gets it, so I've been rooting for those teams' opponents throughout the playoffs (except for San Jose - I wanted LA to beat them). And although the Rangers technically fit that bill, the Canadiens have gone one year longer without winning.

As far as rooting for Canadian teams go, that's one of those silly things only casual fans do. Every team is stocked with Canadian players. There have always been more American teams in the NHL than Canadian ones. Rooting for them makes as much sense as rooting for Texas teams in the Super Bowl, if Dallas or Houston makes it.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM · Report this
Habs are done. Price is out for the rest of the season. http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2014/sto…
Posted by mollman on May 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 6
@ 5, it only says the rest of the conference finals. Don't underestimate Budaj's ability to step up.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM · Report this
Megan Seling 7
@5 Oooooh shiiiiiit. I hadn't seen that. Well that does change things, doesn't it. Crap.
Posted by Megan Seling on May 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM · Report this
I'm rooting for the HABs cause they beat my Bruins and in hockey little league I was on the Canadians and we won the championship.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on May 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM · Report this
Somewhat of a cop-out on my part, but I tend to believe the winner of the Kings/Blackhawks series will win the Cup. If the Kings play with intensity/passion, which they didn't do last year against Chicago and they get secondary scoring, they can win the series. Blackhawk fans should be a little concerned about how competitive the Wild were with the Blackhawks, and what the Kings may lack in speed to the Wild, they make up for in the grinding punishing physical game they play, a few more snipers, and an elite goaltender. The Blackhawks will have to play their best hockey to win this series--All the stars and Crawford will have to be on their game.
Posted by neo-realist on May 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM · Report this
I hate the Blackhawks. While the Kings are one step above them, I have no love for them either. I am rooting for the Rangers, mostly because of Lundqvist. But deep down, I think the Kings are going to take it again. But I will be happy if either NY or the HABs get the Cup.
Posted by SeattleKim on May 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM · Report this
As long as it isn't the Rangers, I don't much care. They beat my beloved Penguins.

Posted by Sheryl on May 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM · Report this
@10, As a fellow Ranger fan, I hope so too (my pick was purely cerebral). Price's unfortunate injury radically changes the dynamic for the Canadians and makes the Rangers an easy pick for the finals. I think the Ranger forwards, particularly on the Brassard line, have played a little above their heads, but if they could pull the upset, I'd go seriously nuts.

Krieder better watch that goaltender crashing and learn to pull up a bit, otherwise somebody's going put some "ice justice" on him.
Posted by neo-realist on May 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM · Report this
I'd love to see a Blackhawks-Canadians final, but there's a good chance it will be another original 6 final regardless. Sorry, but being a Chicago native I'm going with the Hawks--they just know how to win big games.
Posted by Irish on May 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM · Report this
mikethehammer 14
@11,

Yeah, the Pens kind of imploded (or under-achieved) but you can't discount Lundqvist's role in that series. He was incredible.
Posted by mikethehammer on May 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM · Report this
venomlash 15
All the Blackhawks haters can bite my Chicago ass. 'HAWKS FOR THE CUP!
Posted by venomlash on May 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM · Report this
Nothing of value has ever come out of Chicago. It's the crooked man's New York City. Fuck the Blackhawks so hard.

Kisses,

A Minnesota Wild fan
Posted by dr0q on May 19, 2014 at 1:24 PM · Report this
@16: What of value has ever come out of Minnesota? And remember that it has to outweigh Michelle Bachman.

Meanwhile, Harry Caray.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on May 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM · Report this
@17: Prince. Next question, plz.
Posted by dr0q on May 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM · Report this
venomlash 19
@18: Things produced by/invented in Chicago:
-Controlled nuclear fission
-Deep-dish pizza
-Barack Obama
-Chicago School (architectural style)
-Skyscrapers
-Ferris Wheels
-Mail-order catalogs
-Softball
-Air-conditioning

Whereas Minnesota...has a football team that plays in a dome and had that incident with the hookers on that party boat a couple years back.
Posted by venomlash on May 19, 2014 at 4:33 PM · Report this
cressona 20
Sheryl @11: (Yeah, I know the reality is that he Penguins beat themselves. I'd rather blame the Rangers, though...)

I can't stand the Bruins in large part because of what they did to the Penguins last year. But it's almost impossible for me to hate the Rangers because... well, as you say, the Penguins beat themselves. (Kinda like with that first-round loss against the Flyers a couple years back.) And I can't help but admire Lundqvist. With the career he's had, I'd like to see him get to a Stanley Cup final.
Posted by cressona on May 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM · Report this