Monday, May 19, 2014

I'm Jewish, I Was at the Macklemore Show, and Here's What I Saw

Posted by on Mon, May 19, 2014 at 1:53 PM

rs_560x415-140519112438-1024.macklemore-mask-makeup.ls.51914_copy.jpg
  • Suzi Pratt

I should start by saying I wouldn't characterize myself as a fan of Macklemore—not that I don't like his music, but I don't own any albums and wouldn't find myself at his concerts. Almost exactly for that reason, I was excited to see him perform. However, the moment he walked out onto the stage wearing that costume, my heart sank. I had to do a double take. REALLY?!

I was horrified, and even more so because I felt somewhat alone in the audience. I asked my friends if they thought we were witnessing anti-Semitic behavior on Macklemore's part. They seemed to agree, but continued to participate in the show. I found myself feeling incredibly upset and offended.

Thankfully, I never had to confront the kind of emotions I felt that night before, and I couldn't help putting myself into the shoes of so many other ethnicities whose identifies are inappropriately appropriated for entertainment, purposely or not. I immediately came home and started a conversation on Facebook inquiring about what others thought about his choice in costume. And while a few people felt I was overreacting, the vast majority of them seemed to agree that this was just a poor choice, one which may have lacked awareness and probably was executed without intention.

Macklemore always struck me as a pretty sensitive guy. Someone who would understand that he put me—and frankly everyone in the audience—in an uncomfortable position and would come out apologizing profusely for what was obviously a mistake. SO I was rather alarmed and further upset to see him attempt to just deflect the incident by merely saying he didn't see it as a racist costume. I hoped that he would have first offered an apology to anyone in the audience, like myself, who was horrified, going on to explain that he could see how the costume was a poor choice. That yes, he didn't really consider the racial overtones because of course, as a white man in our culture, he doesn't have to. That his privilege got in the way of his awareness and that he was deeply sorry to the Jewish people and to his audience for what was clearly an oversight. HAD that been his response, I would have thought, "What a cool dude," and I would have came out in support of such a statement and encouraged my friends to applaud his response and acknowledge that we could have all made such mistakes, but boy, what a great way to handle it. Instead we're left with "A fake witches nose, wig, and beard = random costume. Not my idea of a stereotype of anybody." Well, Macklemore—that, sir, is not my idea of an apology.

Kinison 1

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on May 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Half of my family is Jewish. I'm not offended, although I am a bit alarmed at how thin-skinned you are that you would be "incredibly upset and offended" at a crappy thrown together thrift-shop costume! Did he sing anti-semetic songs? Did he start off his set with a "Heil Hitler"?

Don't we have better things to worry about?
Posted by randoma on May 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM · Report this
lark 3
After looking at this photo front & center (not the one I saw published in the ST) it is indeed, a caricature. Most unfortunate. I'm not sure what he and his production team were thinking. One doesn't need to be Jewish to find this offensive. It warrants a sincere apology on Macklemore's part, even from his production team. This is terrible.
Posted by lark on May 19, 2014 at 2:07 PM · Report this
If he didn't have the "witches nose" would you have been less outraged? just wondering when you think a costume becomes offensive.
Posted by Chester Copperpot on May 19, 2014 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 5
I was wondering what he next ginned up controversy would be since we haven't had one in a few weeks. Guess we found it.
Now ON WITH THE OUTRAGE!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on May 19, 2014 at 2:12 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
@4, when it starts looking like a cartoon in Der Stürmer, for starters. Seriously, how stupid are you people? "Durr, I didn't see nothin'".
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM · Report this
7 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
@2: His hit song is a song about "popping tags" because paying full price even at a thrift shop is too expensive.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on May 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM · Report this
@6 More like I think you all are overreacting and and I dont see it as some massive scandal. Don't worry. he'll offer a heartfelt apology soon to appease you all.
Posted by Chester Copperpot on May 19, 2014 at 2:21 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 10
A sincere apology would cost him nothing.

Still waiting...
Posted by keshmeshi on May 19, 2014 at 2:21 PM · Report this
--MC 11
#2, thank you, I was wondering where the "I'm one of those and I don't much mind" comments were. There were so many in the "Fake Mexican Day" thread. I'm not Jewish and the nose thing skeeved me out big time.
Posted by --MC on May 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM · Report this
I enjoyed reading this measured personal response to Macklemore's offensive costume and tone-deaf apology. I am discouraged to see more comments deriding the "outrage" over something that so many seem to be in a hurry to explain as being no big deal.

Not being from Seattle, or anywhere near Seattle, I'm curious, is there not much of a Jewish community there? Also, if that's the case, are commenters content to be the kind of people that don't care about anti-Semitism because they don't know any Jewish people?
Posted by pemulis on May 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM · Report this
@6, exactly what I thought. @2, why don't you google some of those cartoons and read some history. This is one of the most important things to stop before it's considered acceptable -- and if half of your family is indeed Jewish, some of them might agree.
Posted by sarah70 on May 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM · Report this
14 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
Yep. His costume IS offensive. This isn't too much different than performing in blackface. I'm not Jewish, but my husband is, and he encounters subtle Seattle anti-Semitism all the time...people who thinks it's okay to "jew down the price" and other forms of stereotyping.
Posted by IslandGuy on May 19, 2014 at 2:26 PM · Report this
@12, there are very roughly 30,000 Jews in the Seattle area. From what I hear from other Jews I know, they don't always want to comment on stuff like this because they're not interested in having the discussion detour to the usual Israel- hate.
Posted by sarah70 on May 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 17
I don't know... ugly dude with an awful haircut and a beard does describe 95% of the hipsters in this town...
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on May 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM · Report this
kellyllek 18
yawn
Posted by kellyllek http://www.youtube.com/user/pike024 on May 19, 2014 at 2:33 PM · Report this
As a Jew, and a witch, I am more offended by y'all equating every large nose you see with the Jews. Lots of folks have big noses.
Posted by Azzam on May 19, 2014 at 2:33 PM · Report this
Witches' noses are always offensive.
Posted by dirge on May 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM · Report this
biskethed 21
It just seems to me that the outraged masses are stereotyping the appearance of a jewish man as looking like this stupid costume. Does the author of this article have a large hooked nose ? I do, but i'm German, and not related to anyone Jewish whatsoever. How about a sort of overgrown Beatles mop top ? My son has that, but he cuts his own hair, and just didn't do a good job.... again nothing to do with Judaism. Beard ???? Really ??? Don't come to Ballard unless you want to be constantly offended. I could see if he had sidelocks, or maybe was wearing a shtreimel... but damn, this is a lot of bull for what really is just a cheap random costume.
Posted by biskethed on May 19, 2014 at 2:42 PM · Report this
This is a major league fuck-up. And if you think we're over-reacting, pay some attention to history. Sweet Jesus. 2000 years of people stereotyping and demonizing us, often with fatal effects. So yeah, this was idiotic and offensive.
Posted by Missliss on May 19, 2014 at 2:45 PM · Report this
Dude could never get away wearing that in Brooklyn. Just saying.
Posted by StJ on May 19, 2014 at 2:50 PM · Report this
fletc3her 25
First Christmas and now this!
Posted by fletc3her on May 19, 2014 at 2:52 PM · Report this
@6 Oh for fuck sake. It's not like it doesn't resemble a stereotype.

It's "was it intentional to be antisimetic?"

Yes. Put together and called out the the disguise resembles a racist stereotype.

So do Halloween witches if framed right and unthinkingly. Should we have a "witch hunt" for every ten year old girl?

You act like Macklemore goes home and clutches the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and Mien Kampfe, or some ridiculous shit, and cackles to him self about Jewish banking conspiracies.

He made a dumb mistake. That's all. You're acting like it's god damned Kristallnacht.

Half of why this "controversy" it getting traction is people never liked Macklmore in the first place finding some tangential moral justification for their hate of him.
Posted by tkc on May 19, 2014 at 2:52 PM · Report this
"Thankfully, I never had to confront the kind of emotions I felt that night before, and I couldn't help putting myself into the shoes of so many other ethnicities whose identifies are inappropriately appropriated for entertainment, purposely or not."
Really?! This is your big victim moment? You are the guy who talks endlessly for weeks about that one time he almost sort of got hit by a car when riding his bike downtown. Get over yourself, get on a fucking plane and experience the world. If this is your idea of an outrage you shouldn't be allowed in public.
Posted by Lorettaphant on May 19, 2014 at 2:53 PM · Report this
Looking For a Better Read 28
@10 and others . . .

So what will you do if/when you don't receive your apology?
Posted by Looking For a Better Read on May 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 29
It was a funny costume. I think claiming he looks like a Jew is what's anti-Semitic.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on May 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM · Report this
Yep, he sure should have known better. He's either stupid or he's stupid in order to not know that he was essentially doing a modified blackface. I'm not outraged, but am in awe of how dumb this decision was. Good thing that I could care less about his "music" and persona and don't really think that I have ever heard a whole song of his. Just, like this, always hearing about him is what I know.
Posted by ortolan on May 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM · Report this
@27

But this is clearly another Shoah you filthy antisemite! Never forget the six million! This is what the floor shows at Auschwitz were like!
Posted by William F. Fuckley on May 19, 2014 at 2:58 PM · Report this
HandlebarWallace 32
I don't think he meant anything but should still apologize. Not thinking is no excuse. Totally reminds me of the white girl who went as Crazy Eyes for Halloween, nobody told her it was wrong! Get somebody that doesn't kiss your ass in your entourage!
Posted by HandlebarWallace on May 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM · Report this
ummm anyone thought that the writer of this article not only implied but also created a social assertion that this is how a Jewish male must look (especially to be mocked) and merely thrust it upon a hot topic? I know i love my ignorant argumentative bliss!!!!
Posted by Gibran Sloane on May 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM · Report this
Posted by Gibran Sloane on May 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM · Report this
JF 35
@6 Or maybe you're just trying too hard? Idiot. (look at me, I can insult people too!)
Posted by JF on May 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM · Report this
If we're going to be ridiculous, maybe Adam should apologize for killing Jesus.
Posted by Fggh on May 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 37
@28,

I'll think he's an asshole who doesn't practice what he preaches. Clearly, a fate worse than death.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM · Report this
JF 38
@37 Ya, but aren't you concerned about having to admit why you think he's an asshole to other people? Most sane individuals are going to think you're nuts. I mean, it's kind of weird to go around demanding stuff from someone you don't even know and then judge him for not providing it to you.
Posted by JF on May 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM · Report this
Josh_W 39
I hope you all think about this the next time you see some hipster in a Sioux headdress...
Posted by Josh_W on May 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM · Report this
I think it's ridiculous that people find this racist. I think if you are saying his costume was stereotypical of a Jewish person, then you yourself are agreeing that those stereotypes represent that whole culture and that in itself is more racist than what he did. That is blatant racism which one is admitting to.

The first thing that stood out to me is a goofy costume, and even after all the talk I still don't see it as being Jewish. People need to stop being over sensitive and stop over analyzing shit.

Oh wow, he didn't make an apology - what a self pitying, privileged induced response that is. What makes you think you deserve an apology when nothing was meant with offense. I understand ignorance is one thing to be apologetic about, but this isn't even that. It's a silly costume.

Where was all this media outcry when Cloud Atlas did yellow face for all of its white actors? Slanting the shit out of peoples eyes. Not all Asians have slanted eyes, and not all Jewish people have big noses.

The media picks and turns and masks shit in one direction and it gains speed toward a nonsensical conclusion filled with rage. An incoherent mass that can't think for itself and see the truth. People need to grow up. There are bigger problems out there. Ukraine and Venezuela in turmoil, Drug Cartels running rampant in Mexico, 275 school girls kidnapped and missing in Africa, and this is the bullshit the US is so infatuated with - whether a mans costume is racist, even if he didn't mean for it to be.
Posted by Yellow face on May 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM · Report this
@38: It's ok, we're all mad here. And a lot of people seem to be coming to the conclusion that he's an asshole.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on May 19, 2014 at 3:12 PM · Report this
@37 Do you? Practice what you preach? Because you preach a lot here.

Man. So many people on SLOG exited the womb so fully enlightened.

I must have missed the Human 2.5 upgrade. Because sometimes I, being an old Human 1.0, make mistakes.
Posted by tkc on May 19, 2014 at 3:12 PM · Report this
Rotten666 43
Everyone who has worn a Groucho Marx nose needs to apologize next.

Posted by Rotten666 on May 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Rotten666 44
@42 Yup.
Posted by Rotten666 on May 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM · Report this
@42: We also make mistakes, and then we apologize and own up. Which is what we were looking for from Macklemore. As the author of the original post said, if Macklemore had said "oh shit, my bad guys, I didn't realize how this looked!" we would have been happy to overlook the mistake. It's the insistence that nothing was wrong that offends most, because it implies lack of empathy.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on May 19, 2014 at 3:17 PM · Report this
Fnarf 46
@21, this is what disturbs me. You, and the other Macklemore defenders, are ignorant of history. The big hooked nose didn't come out of nowhere: it came out of specific stereotypes of Jews in Nazi cartoons. You don't know that, because you are uneducated. But if you had seen the Nazi cartoons, you would recognize Maclemore's costume instantly.

These are not just 1930s stereotypes, either. You can find these images printed in newspapers in the Middle East today: http://www.tomgrossmedia.com/ArabCartoon…

There is a cliche that fans of popular music are dumber than clods of clay, which is unfair, but it is sometimes true. It's true here today. You don't even know what a clue looks like.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 19, 2014 at 3:19 PM · Report this
JF 47
@45 Macklemore looks fine to me so what's there to apologize for?
Posted by JF on May 19, 2014 at 3:20 PM · Report this
fletc3her 48
@45 I do hope those who are in pain get the apology they need to start healing.
Posted by fletc3her on May 19, 2014 at 3:23 PM · Report this
I think his career will be ok. Most of us aren't prissy pc outrage addicts.
Posted by robot ghost on May 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM · Report this
This is obviously analogous to the blackface/minstrelsy incidents that flare up from time to time. And its obviously in super-duper bad taste for all the same reasons.

But I don't think it rises to the level of "anti-semitism".
Posted by Alden on May 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM · Report this
I thought it was a matisyahu costume
Posted by JasperTompkins on May 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM · Report this
I thought it was a decent matisyahu cosplay
Posted by JasperTompkins on May 19, 2014 at 3:29 PM · Report this
I thought he was trying to be Ringo Starr.
Posted by iamveryseriousnow on May 19, 2014 at 3:29 PM · Report this
raku 54
I didn't think it was possible that anyone who is part of this society could not recognize this insulting caraciture, but if you truly don't, the decent human response is to listen and learn, not to defend someone's insulting behavior because your ignorance (or sociopathy) trumps someone else's life experience.

Same goes for Macklemore, I guess it's possible he could be completely ignorant and made some bad decisions that turned into a caricature that he'd somehow never seen before. The correct decent human response is to say he made a mistake, explain what he's learned, and apologize.
Posted by raku on May 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM · Report this
JF 55
@46 We're more than aware of the stereotype. It's existence doesn't mean you can trot out the accusation every time someone puts on a fake plastic nose. If had ONE other feature that resembled a Jewish stereotype, I'd agree with you. But he doesn't. The wig has straight hair, not curly and the outfit isn't exclusive to a Jewish stereotype either. Are you not aware of those stereotypes or are you just, as so you smugly put it, "uneducated"?
Posted by JF on May 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Stop the double standards. I'm sure there would be a huge outcry if he'd come out in black face. If one is wrong so is the other. This is how Nazi propaganda got started. I don't think people who are offended are overreacting.
Posted by renara32 on May 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM · Report this
I'm not outraged but I agree that is not a good costume choice. A rare misstep for someone who usually seems so thoughtful.
Posted by chris in dk on May 19, 2014 at 3:32 PM · Report this
You hit it on the proverbial nose, Pemulis @12.

Seattle has the smallest Jewish community of any major American coastal city (yes, smaller even than Portland's), as well as a deeply entrenched culture of not giving a shit about issues that don't intrude directly into each self-absorbed resident's personal bubble.

In addition, Seattle residents proudly eschew collective memory, mistake pop-cultural affinities for worldly well-roundedness, and conflate their own ignorant opining with having "an equally valid view of the facts that deserves equal weight in the discussion."

In short, no matter what you've read about Seattle's rates of post-graduate degree attainment, or its oft-professed affinity for books, this city is functionally stupid as shit.
Posted by d.p. on May 19, 2014 at 3:32 PM · Report this
I thought he was dressing up like Ringo Starr. If someone comes out in black face and starts tap dancing to a piano... hell yeah. That's offensive. If a white guy worshiped Bob Marley his whole damn life and decided to completely look like him and do a complete make-over at a "Come As Your Favorite Music Star" Party, is that the same as mocking someone with black face? No. However, our PC world has dictated that any form of emulation must equal racism: That you ARE making fun and mocking someone else's race, that there is no possible way that you can be actually showing your fandom for someone. Most of us now recoil in horror because we've become hardwired to think it's repulsive. Maybe there is something to that. However, there is something a tiny bit sad as well. We can't laugh at each other either, and stick with me here. I'm not talking about angry, hateful, racist talk, or even the same guised in the form of humor. I'm talking about groups of people from different cultures who live together and have the ability to laugh and poke at one another because they share the same home, because they have that kind of repartee. The PC police of the world have deemed that it's that kind of repartee that builds up and builds up until full on hatred ignites and BOOM! WAR! HOLOCAUST! No. Sorry. There are many factors involved, but one thing that I thought Lewis Black said that was brilliant was that terrorists have no sense of humor. Why do you think they are willing to kill over a cartoon drawn by a person of another faith, in another country, thousands of miles away? Because it's not funny, is it?

I guess all I am saying is that I wish people in this world could wrap their heads around shades of gray, but they can't. Like all Americans, in particular, with this incident.. it's all or nothing. He clearly was in the wrong. He WAS making fun of Jewish people. There is no way he could have been emulating Ringo Starr, and even if he was.. tough cookies. White people are not allowed to emulate anyone because, no matter the context, my feelings will be hurt!

Your feelings should be able to deal with context. If they can't, then you still have some growing up to do. Terrorists and those who have become super sensitive to every little PC infraction, have lost all sense of proportion.
More...
Posted by happy time on May 19, 2014 at 3:32 PM · Report this
@45

Which is what we were looking for from Macklemore.

Who is this we you have been elected the spokesperson for?

We. An unknowable amorphous aggregate of anonymous internet complainers who will immediacy leap to the next outrage for which the ever changing "they" will "demand" an yet another apology over yet another trumped up outrage... and on... and on...

For. Ever.

There will always spontaneously congeal another internet posse of sanctimonious people who will never accept what ever apology he issues.

He can't win.
Posted by tkc on May 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM · Report this
brian 61
Is it possible you could grow up in the Pacific Northwest and not recognize the elements of the classic Shylock caricature? Possibly, maybe even probably.

Should you be horrified if you've accidentally perpetuated a racist stereotype? Absolutely.
Posted by brian on May 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM · Report this
4Shadows 62
I've noticed a lot of otherwise PC sensitive lefties in Seattle still think it's ok to throw a little casual anti-semitism around, whether it's the usual comments about miserliness, the verb form of Jew to connote same ("He jewed me out of it..."), or embedded in anti-Israel and/or global financial conspiracy tirades. Anti-semitism is still a largely accepted form of bigotry. Thanks, Macklemore for being dopey enough to open this can of worms. It's worth bringing out into the open.
Posted by 4Shadows http://4shadows.bandcamp.com on May 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM · Report this
Honestly, when I first saw the photos I thought he was Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Posted by CCRes on May 19, 2014 at 3:39 PM · Report this
I like Macklemore and I still do but this wasn't very smart, nor was deflecting the issue instead of owning up to it.
Posted by El Steven http://misterstevengomez.com on May 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM · Report this
@46 nails it

I'm floored by the insensitive and dismissive comments here and by Macklemore. Get fucking educated about anti-Semitism before you say there's nothing wrong with it or "it doesn't bother me." Christ.

For the record, I'm a huge Macklemore fan. His explanation is beyond bogus.
Posted by mitten on May 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM · Report this
@64 I think he was deflecting the rather uncharitable implication that he was intentionally being an anti semite.
Posted by tkc on May 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 67
Honest response here: I have become de-sensitized to charges of antisemitism. Whenever Israel's crimes or appalling actions are discussed, their defenders cry "antisemitism," as if to suggest that Palestinians deserve justice is equal to concentration camps.

Well, I'm pretty much done with it. Adam, you feel offended, and I don't fucking care. Call AIPAC and tell them how you're so oppressed. They'll love you for it.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on May 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM · Report this
I'm pretty critical of a lot of the whining Stranger staff do on a weekly basis, but this costume is clearly an antisemitic caricature, and it cannot be interpreted in any other way. Whatever his intent was (shocking the audience, commenting and antisemitism, being an asshole), the costume is clearly intended to portray a Jewish stereotype and coming from a lunkhead like him it was never going to come off as anything other than a mean-spirited stunt. Oops.
Posted by Jizzlobber on May 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM · Report this
@ 62 - You forgot that we run all the Banks as well as run the country from behind closed doors. White people of privilege as well as the ignorant ones have some form of closet bigotedness, be it against Asians, Blacks or Jews. Unfortunately, we Jews have been singled out and blamed for everything for millennia. Mackemore is obviously a fool.
Posted by Beanzblues on May 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM · Report this
*Macklemore
Posted by Beanzblues on May 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM · Report this
venomlash 71
It's dumb and certainly offensive, but to the best of my knowledge this is Macklemore we're talking about, not fucking Prussian Blue*. If he apologizes and, you know, ADMITS that it was kind of offensive, it can all just blow over.

*Prussian Blue was a neo-Nazi hate-music band composed of twins Lamb and Lynx Gaede, who had been indoctrinated by their racist nutjob mother. When they were 14 they realized how fucked up the ideology was, renounced racism and anti-Semitism, and have since become fairly liberal in their views, particularly advocating for marijuana legalization. All's well that ends well, and all's WTF that was WTF the whole time.
Posted by venomlash on May 19, 2014 at 3:55 PM · Report this
67: Then you are a disservice to your cause. Israelis accusing people of antisemitism to defend their policies has nothing to do with this performance. The more people like you there are the harder it's going to be to ever change the situation of the Palestinians. You're essentially trading in being tired of accusations of antisemitism for actual antisemitism, and you discredit people like me who genuinely give a shit about the Palestinians. Not a wise line to cross.
Posted by Jizzlobber on May 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM · Report this
It was an obvious racial parody that they probably thought was funny in the green room. "I'll sing about being cheap while dressed up like a Jew because Jews are cheap."

They, like many of you, thought it was no big deal. But it is.

I don't think it was an accident, but I don't think it was supposed to be inflammatory. It's somewhere in between, and the hyperbole here thinks a strong side needs to be taken.

Like, between "Never again!" and "It wasn't racist at all!" is where the real action should be, which is:

An apology that says: "I thought it was funny, but I see now that it wasn't. It was poor judgement, and I've learned from it."

Posted by Sevenwithoneblow on May 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM · Report this
@46 Don't you understand FNARF? This is the post-Kristallnacht generation. People are tired of apologizing.

Seriously though, you shouldn't have to be Jewish to find this disgusting. I'm not Jewish and I oppose Zionist ethnic cleansing in Palestine. This is disgusting and offensive, absent some kind of very particular context. That context doesn't exist here in any way. It is disgusting and offensive.

The question of intentionality is a separate one. Clearly though, we are seeing that Macklemore has no one in his entourage who isn't an ignorant fool, nor anyone who has an ounce of sense.

Posted by cracked on May 19, 2014 at 4:00 PM · Report this
And here comes @67, conflating Israel policy and "Jewish sensitivity", with a strong dose of ahistoricism and false equivalency to boot. Like a good Seattle Lefty Who Refuses To Ever Learn Anything About Which He Speaks, and right on cue to prove @62's point.

This city isn't just a cesspool of stupid. It's a predictable cesspool of stupid.
Posted by d.p. on May 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM · Report this
Is it a racist caricature: yes
Was it on purpose: eh, probably not
Does that really matter: nope
Should he offer a better apology: absolutely
Does Israel have anything to do with this: why would you even think that?
Posted by the other one on May 19, 2014 at 4:07 PM · Report this

smh and a facepalm.

People look up to this moron? Seriously?
Posted by treehugger on May 19, 2014 at 4:09 PM · Report this
chinaski 78
I never liked Macklmore in the first place, so this is as good a tangential moral justification for my hate of him as any.
Posted by chinaski on May 19, 2014 at 4:11 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 79
Holy crap this guy Ben "Macklemore" Haggerdy is 30! Thirty. Years. Old.

Here I was all ready to say, "well he's only 20 years old. In 10 years he'll realize what a fuckup this is and will truly apologize. He'll beg for the chance to live this down. Guys his age have a terrible time with this kind of thing."

But fuck! He's already 30. That's a bitch.

So never mind. Thirty years old and his head is still that far up his ass? Well, if it was coming out of there, it would have happened by now. His head is going to stay up there a good long time, maybe forever.

I predict worse to come from Mr. Haggerdy, and his defenders today will look like fools when his next debacle drops. And the one after that.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on May 19, 2014 at 4:13 PM · Report this
The Dopest 80
I'm surprised there's anyone who can look at that costume and not see "old Russian and/or Jewish guy stereotype."

I personally think it's pretty silly and only very mildly offensive, kinda reminds me more of "my crazy unlce Yevgeniy" than "Jewish people" but then again, I'm a big jerk.
Posted by The Dopest on May 19, 2014 at 4:13 PM · Report this
so is it more anti-semitic to not realize that a black wig, witch nose, beard and the like make you look like a jewish stereotype ...

... or to see someone in a black wig, witch nose and a beard and think to yourself "huh, he looks jewish"?

because where you see anti-semitism, i see a rorschach.
Posted by the eyeroller on May 19, 2014 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Unregistered User 82
I find that the low diversity in the PNW leads to a bizarre situation where you have people with hardly any real-world context but either a) complete apathy/misunderstanding when it comes to stereotypes/racism or b) larger-than-life outrage about stereotypes that someone knows on paper to be wrong, but without any real world context.

Doesn't make either an act OK or either person wrong, it's just a bizarre mix that can lead to a bunch of privileged white people shouting at each other about an incident like this with people on both sides of the shouting not actually interacting with the culture or race being derided on a daily, weekly or even lifetime basis.

Yes, I know some of you actually ARE members of or related to a minority group or DO interact on a daily basis for your life or work with, say, Jewish people and culture and that a diverse city does not imply ACTUAL interaction between ethnic and racial groups, but sometimes Seattle feels like a step away from places like Australia where people are confused about why something like black face is bad.
Posted by Unregistered User on May 19, 2014 at 4:24 PM · Report this
I'm not Jewish, but I grew up in the NYC suburbs with lots of friends (~50%) who were. My sister and (Catholic) cousin are both married to Jews. His costume is an absolute stereotype and I can see why Jews would be offended.

But I'm going to give him, and others who commented "what's the big deal?" the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to posit that, like Macklemore, they are Seattle natives and because Seattle has very few Jews compared to east coast cities like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, they can't see this from the same perspective as Jews or people who grew up with Jews.

He still should have offered an apology, even if he didn't intend to offend anyone, because he did offend people.
Posted by gobigblue on May 19, 2014 at 4:27 PM · Report this

Posted by gobigblue on May 19, 2014 at 4:30 PM · Report this
He looks like osama bin laden to me. people need to quit being so sensitive
Posted by Nachodaddy on May 19, 2014 at 4:35 PM · Report this
I'm Comin' for ya Mama! 86
And SLOG gets their collective panties in a bunch. Good god.
Posted by I'm Comin' for ya Mama! http://www.packers.com on May 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM · Report this
Another damn article about this? Boy, you guys are really pushing the outrage. I bet you're getting some great ad revenue and clicks for your site. Stop trying to make fetch happen.
Posted by stuffandthings on May 19, 2014 at 4:41 PM · Report this
The Beady Eyes of Mayor Ed Murray 88
This guy is the worst. Can he be over yet?
Posted by The Beady Eyes of Mayor Ed Murray on May 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM · Report this
Oh, Seattle. All the navel gazing makes it so easy to manipulate you. Is your life so meaningless and your time so ample that you react to things like this? You faux-activists are like children running for the dinner bell and The Stranger and other sites serve it up because they can always count on you to come click-click clicking. You're so easily riled you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Posted by IMOFFENDED on May 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM · Report this
You are a shitstreak on humanity... Stop being offended and needing an apology for every-fucking-thing that ever happens. And, yes, I'm responding to this article, but, also, speaking generally.. I don't know when or why or how, but I have somehow found myself surrounded by a generation of crybaby pussies who need to whine about anything they possibly can... "OMG, you can't say that!!" "Is he making fun of the Jews?!" "Was that racist?" Boo-fucking-hoo... But, to the point of this blogger's post, we are talking about a dude who made a rap song about the equality of the LGBT community... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he is not going to be all about equality for one group, but then be like, "I love the gays!! But, you know what... Fuck the Jews.. Where's my Jew mask?!" My suggestion would be for you to grow a pair, and stop being such a pussy. Seriously. I find your position on this entire thing offensive and I think you should apologize for it.
Posted by FuckThat on May 19, 2014 at 4:57 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 91
@38,

Define "most people". Define "sane" and "nuts" for that matter.

Also, I could not give less of a fuck if dipshits like you think I'm "crazy" for expecting an apology from someone* who dressed as a fucking Nazi stereotype of a Jew.

*And when this someone has built a career on being a "tolerant", "accepting" social justice warrior. That is literally the only reason why anyone here knows who Macklemore is. Without "Same Love", he would be a nobody.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 19, 2014 at 5:03 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 92
@42,

I've somehow managed to get through life without any displays of overt bigotry or racism, intentionally or accidentally. How about you? Or is it okay for you to have your head up your ass because you're a white guy?
Posted by keshmeshi on May 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM · Report this
@87

The Stranger, Rolling Stone, the NY Daily News, NPR, Gawker, Billboard, and tons of other web sites are also covering this story.

I guess they must all be looking for ad revenue and clicks.

Or maybe this is a *real* story?

When a world-famous musician, who played in Times Square on New Year's Eve, who stands for progressivism, and almost wins a grammy for a song that strongly supports gay marriage dresses up in a costume that loads of people find to be an offensive stereotype of a minority, it's going to make the news. Every time.

Posted by gobigblue on May 19, 2014 at 5:06 PM · Report this
All of you whiny people who find it offensive are the ones who make it racist. It would have been over by now. What is this attack based on? Is he getting too famous?
Posted by Seattle Lives on May 19, 2014 at 5:12 PM · Report this
#90

I'm curious if you use such profanity and insult-laced drivel in person?

Since you're such a tough guy, why don't you tell us your ethnic background so we can post hateful stereotypical posts about you and your ancestry? Why don't you give us your email and physical address so we can target racist banter directly at you?

It won't bother you right? Because you're not a pussy like everyone else.
Posted by gobigblue on May 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM · Report this
"Without "Same Love", he would be a nobody."

Actually Thrift Shop was huge
Posted by Reader01 on May 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM · Report this
#94...are you Jewish? Do you have any friends or relatives who are?

If you did, than maybe you'd understand why it's offensive. But I'm going to guess that since you resorted to name calling, you don't.
Posted by gobigblue on May 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM · Report this
it seems that relevant popular opinion and ignorant rage is what fuels the trending racism in this country, we do not recognize the (insert discerning feature here) stereotype as racist in our own countries films and satire, as much so as when we are in a foreign land and people obviously different then us make the same stereotype. the perspective or point of view is one of the key factors here, does the writer wish to live in a racist world (by enforcing ideas of stereotype)? or is the writer just kinda stupid???
Posted by Gibran Sloane on May 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM · Report this
@92 Nope. I have made terrible, awful, regrettable, mistakes.

But there was a point I thought I too managed to get through life "without any displays of overt bigotry or racism, intentionally or accidentally."

And then I grew the fuck up and realized people make mistakes and maybe there were things I could do better.

But it must be nice to be a perfect human, like you.

Posted by tkc on May 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 100
Me got 100 comment!
Posted by dnt trust me on May 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM · Report this

Speaking of male performers, they all sucked on BBMAs last night.

But the females tore the place up.

Iggy&Ariana
Carrie&Miranda
Miley&a really weird guy who kissed her foot
Katie Perry (I turned it off here because it seemed to be for 8 year olds and under.)

In between was an unctuous assortment of drippy boy bands with childish names (Imagine Dragons...ooo...) or else male models trying to be tough guys by covering their perfect skin with sleeve tattos. How many dudes have to strut around in black skinny jeans before you say (Y-Chromosome Brand) Rock Is Dead.

Guys...give it up, the ladies won. Come back with something new next year.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on May 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 102
@99,

Well clearly the correct response to making a mistake is to never apologize for it; Macklemore's preferred response so far.

Macklemore offers a real, timely apology: This goes away forever. The longer he waits, the deeper shit he gets into. You want to defend *that* stupidity? Be my guest. I'll just brush you off as an asshole as well.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM · Report this
post video or audio of him doing an impression of Jewish people & you have a case. Otherwise, grow up. Theres sex trafficking & death of children all over the world. Fight for something that matters.
Posted by Dabby on May 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM · Report this
He kind of looks like a younger 1970's Al Pacino in that photo.

Anyway, I think this is much ado about nothing. And besides, Ben is one helluva great human being and he would never in a million years mock any population. This uproar is ridiculous.
Posted by Fire Chief on May 19, 2014 at 5:42 PM · Report this
Witches nose?!

We are not amused, Dumb Dumb.
Posted by Endora on May 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM · Report this
@102 When he apologizes, and of course he will with a carefully crafted PR speech, there will instantly congeal another anonymous internet mob of perfect people just like you that will say it's not good enough.

Posted by tkc on May 19, 2014 at 5:55 PM · Report this
@104 I'm willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt regarding his intent, but that misses the point. Let's say he'd grown up never being around Jewish people or anti-semitism, so he's never heard the word "kike." Then he hears someone say it and figures from context it means something insulting, but does not pick up on the bigotry. He then uses that word, in front of a Jewish person. It doesn't make him a bigot, but when the offensiveness of what he's said is explained, the correct response is not "oh, I thought it meant kite or something. Unbunch your panties."
Posted by pemulis on May 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM · Report this
@102 For Macklemore to let this stew a whole day? That guy has one big freakin' ego, or maybe his PR crew think its just a Molly Cyrus tongue and cheek thing, where any PR is good PR. Worked for her. I'm not sure Nazi propaganda Jewish caricatures get the same kind of buzz as T&A.

Is this just an age thing? I know at least one of my kid's history books had this image in it. Crazy though, every time I look at it, the more wildly blatant it looks. For me now the controversy is why there is no attempt a triage. It looks as if no one he knows or has a relationship with finds this offensive enough to move him and/or his publicists, who must have a lot invested in his success, which is now leaving the impression that this act was important enough to him that he doesn't want to walk it back.
Posted by cracked on May 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM · Report this
hgkh
Posted by plainoldhuman on May 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM · Report this
@102 For Macklemore to let this stew a whole day? That guy has one big freakin' ego, or maybe his PR crew think its just a Molly Cyrus tongue and cheek thing, where any PR is good PR. Worked for her. I'm not sure Nazi propaganda Jewish caricatures get the same kind of titillating buzz as T&A.

Is this just an age thing? I know at least one of my kid's history books had this image in it. Crazy though, every time I look at it, the more wildly blatant it looks. For me now the controversy is why there is no attempt a triage. It looks as if no one he knows or has a relationship with finds this offensive enough to move him and/or his publicists, who must have a lot invested in his success, which is now also leaving the impression that this act was important enough to him that he doesn't want to walk it back.
Posted by cracked on May 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM · Report this
oh yeah, @108. this is definitely EXACTLY THE SAME as "nazi propaganda." way to minimize the actual nazis and actual racism by conflating it with something stupid and insensitive.

you're right. this is the same as all that. macklemore certainly wasn't just insensitive and stupid, but was definitely was making a statement that jews are vermin and controlling vermin at that who should be eradicated because they are taking over and ruining the country.

check yourself, jackass.

Posted by yeah, uh ... no. on May 19, 2014 at 6:08 PM · Report this
Ben, ignorance of the offense has never been a good defense.

No one who knows you or your work thinks you intended to offend; nevertheless, you have.

Let go of your pride, back down from a stubborn defense of intent.

Stop talking.

Listen.

Whether you serve as the pupil or the example, the lesson will be learned.

Shalom, My Young Friend.
Posted by Rabbi on May 19, 2014 at 6:11 PM · Report this
Wow I love all the fallacious 'if you think that's what a Jewish stereotype looks like then YOU are the racist' bullshit arguments up above.

Jewish stereotypes are well documented. You don't have to go far to see that his outfit resembles stereotypical anti-Semitic portrayals of Jewish men. What more do you need, for him to be clutching a bag of gold?

It's like arguing that the real racists are who think Mickey Rooney was portraying a stereotypical Japanese guy in Breakfast at Tiffany's, or those who consider a Pick-A-Ninny outfit to be a racist portrayal of blacks. It's a similar argument because it's just as fucking idiotic.
Posted by madcap on May 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 114
@106,

It's unfair of you to hog that crystal ball. Give the rest of us a shot.

@108,

I'm only four years older than he is, and I'm very familiar with anti-Semitic stereotypes and caricatures. I'm not willing to dismiss this as a generational thing. Stupidity and/or ignorance? Sure. Age? No.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM · Report this
Folks there are stereotypes that many, dare I say most folks are aware of. __. So we try to AVOID stereotypes. Yeesh, why would anyone put on a fake nose anyway? It's beyond me.
Posted by pat L on May 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM · Report this
JF 116
@91 You failed to address my point of this guy being a complete and total stranger to you. Also, what's with the cunty response? I asked a pretty non offensive question.
Posted by JF on May 19, 2014 at 6:45 PM · Report this
Personally, I don't see this as a Jewish costume, I'm a Jew by the way. L'Chiam! I see this as a costume reminiscent of Howard Wolowitz in The Big Bang Theory(yes I know he's a Jew). He may be Jewish but he also wears horrible 70's clothes(like you'd find in a thrift shop). I saw the picture and thought at first that it was a middle easterner. If you're going to be a cry baby, maybe concerts aren't for you. It's a show, stop being uptight and learn to laugh at dumb looking stuff. Even if it WAS supposed to represent the Jewish people, it's still something that you should be able to laugh at. Grow up and get a sense of humor or maybe just some thicker skin.
Posted by One Wild Joker on May 19, 2014 at 6:45 PM · Report this
My two cents: This is definitely antisemitic.

Come on, people! I didn't have to look at the photo for half a second.
Posted by We need a Slog summary-judgment poll! on May 19, 2014 at 6:49 PM · Report this
this kind of reminds me of the incident when a rabbi sued an airport for having christmas trees up during the holidaze.

"Seattle's airport removes Christmas trees to avoid lawsuit from rabbi"
haha in seattle no less

rabble rabble
Posted by bacon bitzzz on May 19, 2014 at 6:51 PM · Report this
120 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
Huh? You can't be racist against Jews, because racism is power + privilege, and Jews are the most powerful and privileged of all races on the Earth. After all, Jews were chosen by G-d.
Posted by Jamal Shaniqua on May 19, 2014 at 6:59 PM · Report this
Tim Horton 122
Not being from Seattle, my initial thought was perhaps mild anti-semitism was part of defacto Seattle's progressive scene a la Rachael Corrie and the left-wing support for anti-Israel policies.

Perhaps in Macklemore's circles, Jew-baiting was the jock version of using the word "fag" as a generic insult. You could have arguably used fag as an insult without intending offense against actual gay people. Once you realize how insulting "fag" really is, you can also humbly apologize.

Posted by Tim Horton on May 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM · Report this
Dr. Z 123
I haven't paid much attention to Mackelmore, I ignore him as I do most pop celebrities. But goddam, that costume stopped me dead in my tracks. I don't know what kind of statement he was trying to make. Either he was unaware he was perpetuating an anti-semitic stereotype (in which case he's dumb as fuck and appallingly ignorant) or else he knew exactly what he was doing and trying to play it cutesy with that "random costume" bullshit (in which case he's anti-semitic as charged.)

WTF was he doing on stage in a costume for anyway? It's an entertainment act, the costume is part of the act. Entertainers don't go on stage wearing random costumes.

But whatever Mackelmore was doing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the sheer chuckleheaded cluelessness of many the people posting variations of "get over it" to this thread.
Posted by Dr. Z on May 19, 2014 at 7:15 PM · Report this
I'm confused by where "Anti-semitic behavior" comes in. How is he showing hatred for or discriminating/prejudice against Jews? In the article you seem to presume that an action with "racial overtunes" = anti-semitic behavior. That to me see like a false definition. I could be convinced otherwise, but what's the reasoning?
Posted by CuriousGuest on May 19, 2014 at 7:23 PM · Report this
"That his privilege got in the way of his awareness..."

Ridiculous. This has nothing to do with "privilege". I suppose that an argument could be made, but it's a stretch. Not every person who is white has to understand every possible racial slight. It's not "privilege", it's just ignorance.

Should he have apologized? Yes, of course. If it was about someone who was mistakingly being racist against black people, but he would accept a non-apology like the one he gave? Probably not.

But, remember, when you overuse the "anti-Semitic" charge, it loses it's legitimate power.
Posted by I'm Cool on May 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM · Report this
@62 It's because Jews are seen as the next acceptable group to criticize just for being who they are, the first being white males of course. So he dressed up like a Jew and sang a song about being so cheap that he'd rip off a thrift store. It wasn't "racist" until he portrayed someone other then a white male.
Posted by Roger66 on May 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM · Report this
Why was he even wearing a costume? Anybody know?
Posted by infoDrone on May 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM · Report this
I think it's awesome that someone who preaches equality can so easily show everyone just how racist most people still are when they get all up in arms over someone looking like a certain type of people. "HEY! THAT GUY LOOKS LIKE A STEREOTYPE YO! WE SHOULD BASH HIM!".....
Posted by Stomberg on May 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM · Report this
JUST FYI, HE DID APOLOGIZE

check it out here in his online response.

"I truly apologize to anybody that I may have offended. I hope this better explains the situation and my point of view."
Posted by Goarmynate on May 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM · Report this
Ballard Pimp 130
There is nothing "random" about the costume. I'm not Jewish, and I'm not related to any Jews, and not only is Macklemore a bigot, he is also a liar.
Posted by Ballard Pimp on May 19, 2014 at 8:48 PM · Report this
Everyone here who is butthurt is a huge faggatronic douche. Ohhhh, I'm uncomfortable, Maclemores costume was worse than a gang rape...should I sue? I have PSTD now....ooh my anus.
Posted by 88 420 88 420 on May 19, 2014 at 8:56 PM · Report this
This is why I hate the internet. Sites like this don't initiate thoughtful conversation, they're just the rants and raves of generation that thinks its entitled to be heard. You're not. Find a cause, get out there and do something about something. You won't have time anymore for this garbage that doesn't nothing for anyone and just incites deeper anger and divides. Ugh.
Posted by Paganelli on May 19, 2014 at 9:27 PM · Report this
GeoducksFuckBetter 133
@79 You wrote but(t) fuck. That's weird.
Posted by GeoducksFuckBetter on May 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM · Report this
Why does he need to sincerely apologize for something with absolutely no intended hatred or general negativity behind it? "Sorry what I wore reminded some of you of a Jewish caricature"?

And what's clueless about wondering why this is such a BFD? Is it my civic duty to choose to be offended whenever arguably possible? I watched the video - he's just acting like his own dumbass self in some shitty costume gear. Not one fucking hint of anything.

This was a "secret show." It was a shitty disguise. You people insisting that being offended is right and anyone else is "clueless" are grasping at straws. It's your right to be offended by it but it is nowhere near this clearly black and white hate scene that should leave everyone agape. The Jewish character in Mad Men gives you more material to be offended by than what Whacklemore did for fuck's sake.
Posted by The CHZA on May 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM · Report this
The fuck? There is no goddamn reason to put on a Jew mask (I didn't even realize that was a thing until I saw that stupid fucking Jew mask).

I seriously don't buy his excuse that he didn't realize what he was doing. Just, what the fuck? I saw that shit from 10 feet. Fucking Macklemore, man. Idiot.
Posted by I'm a sugar junkie too! on May 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM · Report this
I thought he was trying to offend the Amish, to tell you the truth. The Jews? Maybe but doubtful. Seriously, he looked like Ringo Starr as an Amish man. But whatever. The sad part is, who really cares? Whiners on blogs and people who enjoy stirring the pot? As if those people (yes, Myself included) have opinions that actually matter.

It was in poor taste, undeniably. But so are hipsters. In fact, the whole of Capitol Hill (and increasingly, Ballard) is in poor taste. Be offended if you must but try to move on. And if you promise to STFU about it, I will too.
Posted by Ellie Mental on May 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM · Report this
You can't be accidentally Anti-Semitic. Unless anyone really thinks he was purposefully dressing up as a Jew drop the Anti-Semitic stuff. And while I can appreciate why someone in the audience might have been horrified at what appeared (especially from a distance) to be someone wearing a stereotypical Jewish costume. It seems pretty clear he wasn't dressing up as a stereotypical Jew (he probably could have done better than a Beatles wig, generic beard and witch nose if that is what he was going for), and that he just failed to realize people would see witch nose and beard and think Jewish. It might have been a boneheaded oversight, but there isn't any indication that it was Anti-Semitic or anything.
Posted by brent.b on May 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM · Report this
He better hire an jewish agent fast and get himself on a jewish recording label fast. Make lemonade.
Posted by jeffy on May 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM · Report this
Also, there is a big difference between accidentally doing something (or not doing something, or doing something that is misinterpreted) and purposefully doing something which you don't intend to be offensive or don't realize is offensive. There is a lot of falsely equivocating the two going on in these threads. He is saying he didn't dress up as a Jewish person and everyone is acting like he is saying he didn't realize dressing up as a Jewish person is offensive.
Posted by brent.b on May 19, 2014 at 10:21 PM · Report this
This is a guy who has been so additive and positive to the community. Not just in Seattle but in so many of the places where he travels. So much of what he does to help and heal and lift up people is never reported because he and Ryan don't do it for the press or the accolades. If you knew him -- and knew how one of his greatest joys is using his music and fame and resources to lift people up -- you would not only cut him some slack for his silly costume/disguise...you'd laugh at the suggestion that his get-up was in any way intended to be anti-Semetic.
Posted by 0366 on May 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM · Report this
You guys should get a life.
Posted by bone on May 19, 2014 at 10:25 PM · Report this
@140, thank you. You're right on.
I can't believe how people have jumped on Ben about this.
These accusations are absolutely as far from who he is than anything possibly could be. He has one of the purest souls, he wouldn't hurt a flea, wouldn't make fun of any population.
And Slog, you've unjustly and unnecessarily fueled a fire that never should've started.

Everyone, take a big fat chill pill.
Posted by Fire Chief on May 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM · Report this
warrior_poet 143
I think it is pure ignorance. Seattle is a pretty lily-white city (google seattle whitest big city), and when you don't actually rub shoulders with certain cultures and ethnicities there are bound to be misunderstandings because your only knowledge about many is from books and hearsay, and not actually human interaction. I grew up in seattle and live in New York City now and as you might know, there are whole neighborhoods that don't speak english at all, neighborhoods of predominately Venezuelan, Thai, Haitian, Italian, Brazilian, Greek, and of course Hasidic Jews, fully dressed in their traditional attire. So because of that there is an ingrained cultural sensitivity in New York City that seattle lacks due to it just not being that diverse. And I think macklemore is very much a product of the city. So his shenanigans weren't willfully malicious, just ignorant.
Posted by warrior_poet on May 19, 2014 at 10:39 PM · Report this
When I showed the photo to my boyfriend and asked him what came to mind he said Bert of Bert and Ernie or Borat. When I pressed him for characteristics he said he looks Middle Eastern. I am a half jew with a reasonably decent sized nose and I didn't find it offensive either. I saw the headline first and I saw the possible old Jewish man take but I also saw that he could be an Arab. My question is did he do anything offensive as that character or was he just being the old man as the shop keeper? A lot of whining about nothing to my mind though I wish he had portrayed a refugee in Gaza born and raised in a camp - then we would have a real firestorm of a debate.

Posted by DAVID, as in a good half-Jewish boy on May 19, 2014 at 10:39 PM · Report this
I'm going to say that "poppin tags" does NOT mean stealing, so people thinking that that's what the song's about ("ripping off a thrift store") are mistaken... it's shopping. "Poppin tags" = shopping.

And, I will repost @129's link to M's apology cuz I think it's worth a read. I'm interested in the author's response to it: http://macklemore.com/post/86276707372/f…

I'm with the author in the first place, btw (as a 28 yo male from the PNW with non-Jewish Polish, German, Czech, and Welsh ancestry).
Posted by zephyrwing on May 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM · Report this
Does anyone find it ironic his first name is Ben (Benjamen)?
Posted by Cassette tape fan on May 19, 2014 at 11:04 PM · Report this
Are you sure he's not impersonating Fat Peter Jackson?
Posted by rimshot on May 19, 2014 at 11:08 PM · Report this
@61 (brian)- Perfect comment. You put this whole thing perfectly. Thank you.
Posted by mollymolly on May 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM · Report this
It is another way to completely take something and twist it into a "racist" comment. Let's be honest, you wouldn't come to the rescue of someone degrading a drug addict by dressing up as one, or come to the rescue of anyone that is being talked about cruelly. It's only an issue because you're insecure and possibly even ashamed of who you are. I am Hispanic and I don't scream bloody murder when jokes about my ethnicity are told. It's ignorant and unfortunate but I won't urge the village to Don their pitchforks and hunt a monster. Freedom of speech is a thing that should remain so, and whether we like it or not, or see it as right or wrong, it should be just that. Freedom. I don't take it seriously when I hear those jokes or see people doing an "impression" of a Hispanic person. I think "have fun with that, I can STILL do your impression better than you." Life is isn't about dwelling on what's wrong, worry about what you're doing to make it better and get off the sensitive train.
Posted by Samiamgreeneggsnham213 on May 20, 2014 at 12:15 AM · Report this
Mackel did apologize a few hours ago. I was very offended when I first read the story, but now that he apologized, I say let's move on.
Posted by Let's Forgive Mack on May 20, 2014 at 1:30 AM · Report this
dear stranger please inform your writers not to end sentences with prepositions via Mrs Leontire my 7th grade english teacher. (who would find many faults with my above comment; then again I AM NOT A WRITER. ...this is fucking nonsense...you know the tune.
Posted by grace on May 20, 2014 at 1:48 AM · Report this
Posted by cracked on May 20, 2014 at 2:24 AM · Report this
DEDCATBUTT 153
Wow, really ? anyone who thinks that it wasn't a complete caricature, google Nazi anti Jewish propaganda cartoon, and then try to say it's not. I move to Seattle in 83 and live there till a few years ago, Seattle and Austin are my both my home. I love the way the folks in that town support us ( musicians ), just like Austin, but come on, don't be stupid. turn the worship knob down a bit. That outfit was well planned, and it is doing just exactly what he planned, it's a controversial publicity stunt. I can't believe folks are hating on the writer of this piece for telling the truth, but I can't believe that I'm commenting about this, but it made a bit sick in my stomach to see my beloved Seattle acting so but hurt because some Pop Star is getting called out for his action, remove the rose colored glasses and get off your knees, it's just a pop star, not like he was in the U-MEN are something.
Posted by DEDCATBUTT on May 20, 2014 at 3:18 AM · Report this
DEDCATBUTT 154
Wow, really ? anyone who thinks that it wasn't a complete caricature, google Nazi anti Jewish propaganda cartoon, and then try to say it's not. I move to Seattle from Austin in 83 and live there till a few years ago, Seattle and Austin are my both my home. I love the way the folks in that town support us ( musicians ), just like Austin, but come on, don't be stupid. turn the worship knob down a bit. That outfit was well planned, and it is doing just exactly what he planned, it's a controversial publicity stunt. I can't believe folks are hating on the writer of this piece for telling the truth. I also can't believe that I'm commenting about this, but it made a bit sick in my stomach to see my beloved Seattle acting so but hurt because some Pop Star is getting called out for his actions, kind of reminds me of the way silly little girls defend C. Love, total denial. Removed the rose colored glasses and get off your knees, it's just a pop star, not like he was in the U-MEN are something.
Posted by DEDCATBUTT on May 20, 2014 at 3:30 AM · Report this
I don't get it. This getup doesn't look Jewish to me. I know a seriously lot of Jews.
Maybe it looks Eastern European, but not Jewish. Maybe the Russians should be offended.
Sample famous Jews:
Mila Kunis
Adam Levine
Mark Ronson
Natalie Portman
David Schwimmer
Lisa Kudrow

Now does this caricature look like *any* of these..?

Posted by Enchente on May 20, 2014 at 3:59 AM · Report this
Not offended: This getup doesn't look Jewish. Eastern European, maybe, but not Jewish.
Have you seen
Andrew Garfield
Daniel Radcliffe
Mark Ronson
Joaquin Phoenix
Natalie Portman
Mila Kunis
Lisa Kudrow
Scarlett Johanssen?
All Jewish. I know a seriously lot of Jews. This caricature is so Not.
Who exactly is targeted here? If it was meant for Jews it is totally off base.

Posted by Enchente on May 20, 2014 at 4:15 AM · Report this
Borat, anyone?
Posted by dalben on May 20, 2014 at 5:03 AM · Report this
More curious about something. For all those who are outraged over the "antisemitism" ... how many of you say "oh that's gay" or some variation of it? That's just as prejudiced as anything you claim he did, but I am sure you are not outraged over your "innocent" comments. I am reminded of the saying "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Food for thought.
Posted by Akhan on May 20, 2014 at 5:14 AM · Report this
The fool wears a costume that makes hime look like a disheveled Jew and sings Thrift store? He would play well in front of a Klan crowd with that material.
Posted by timetripper on May 20, 2014 at 5:22 AM · Report this
I think it is interesting that you are claiming he is antisemitic and bigoted. One question before you get much further is this, how many of you say stuff like "that's gay" or some variation on that theme? That is just as prejudiced as anything your claiming he did. Worse in some respects because you are contributing to the continuity of prejudice today. Antisemitism has declined over the years, not disappeared but it has declined. Using that phrase keeps it alive and well. Reminds me of the saying "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." This is a general statement and not directed at a particular person but I am certain it applies to at least someone who is outraged. Cheers.
Posted by Akhan on May 20, 2014 at 5:23 AM · Report this
juche 161
There have been thousands of genocidal, human rights violations in the world, but the trendy idiots who have been posting here don't really give a shit about that. Instead they are freaking out on a musician who simply wore a plastic nose. Shame on you all, you know who you are. You are spitting in the face of the victims of real human rights violations with your annoying screeching over this irrelevant "story".

Next big story in the stranger. Privileged white woman builds Auschwitz for kitty cats...

Posted by juche on May 20, 2014 at 6:11 AM · Report this
juche 162
I do feel sorry for Macklemore, in his ignorance he never even knew about the ADL. He will now recognize the existence and power of his media overlords. He will know which lobby is truly owning us.
Posted by juche on May 20, 2014 at 7:23 AM · Report this
bet if he came out in black face you all would be offended .
Posted by memyselfandi on May 20, 2014 at 7:27 AM · Report this
I never stereotyped Jewish people until now. Now I see them all as hyper-sensitive. Panties bunch much?
Posted by ConcernedSeattleDork on May 20, 2014 at 7:37 AM · Report this
164 comments on a talentless idiot that nobody will remember five years from now doing something that NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT FUCKING MINDS SHOULD SPEND A SINGLE MICROSECOND THINKING ABOUT TO BEGIN WITH.

You people need lives. Sadly, you'll never have them.
Posted by You all suck - every single one of you on May 20, 2014 at 8:14 AM · Report this
thc-1138 166
Looks like the guy from The Big Bang Theory. nothing offensive about that unless you think that stereotypes nerds.
Posted by thc-1138 http://www.pixyland.org/peterpan/ on May 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM · Report this
I have to support the author, I see a blatant stereotype here. Even if it were accidental, it's still very, very obvious to the point where I wonder "how stoned was everyone backstage that no one stopped this?" The people who don't think this is stereotypical haven't studied any WWII era history, or have studied it poorly. Also, stop dictating to people what they should and shouldn't find offensive, offense by definition is in the eye of the beholder: "annoyance or resentment brought about by a perceived insult to or disregard for oneself or one's standards or principles." (Google dictionary)
Posted by freyakahlo on May 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM · Report this
I am not sure what is more offensive, Macklemore's poor costume choice, his BS explanation, or some of the nasty, evil comments that I read here.

Did he do it on purpose, to offend, probably not. He is a str8 white guy, and str8 whites guys always think what they do is funny (hey, can't you folks take a joke?).

Anti-semitism is on the rise, world-wide (sorry, but it is true, ADL has the sats). Most people today cloak their anti-semitism in an anti-Israel attitude (which is quite popular these days). I am a double minority (Gay and Jewish) and have to put up with anti-gay crap from everyone (gays included) and anti-semitic crap from everyone else. Yes, even here in the utopian PNW.
Posted by baldman on May 20, 2014 at 8:38 AM · Report this
In my humble opinion, YES, he was mocking Jews. In my humble opinion, this was not a random act. It was a publicity stunt specifically thought to infuriate some people. Another of many examples of "there's no such thing as bad publicity" in the entertaining industry. My humble advise to those who might be offended: Ignore it. An asshole makes a bad taste joke. Who cares?
Posted by efequis on May 20, 2014 at 8:41 AM · Report this
@114 Christ almighty. You don't need a crystal ball. All you need is a functioning memory of the thousand previous internet outrage mobs. I think we know why you can feel so pure and perfect. You have Alzheimer's. Every day is a new day.

And now that he has apologized people in the new thread are already screaming it wasn't good enough.
Posted by tkc on May 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM · Report this
JEWISH PEOPLE ARE INSECURE ABOUT THEIR NOSES.

There, Macklemore, now you are no longer ignorant about that (and now you’re racist instead).

Is it really so terrible to be ignorant on these matters? I was well out of college before learning Jewish people in America felt victim to racism. I don’t remember the circumstances I learned this but I’m glad it was a private revelation after seeing the aftermath of Macklamore’s education on the matter. I remember my initial thought was, “But they are white, right? How do people know they are Jewish?”. The answer turned out to be that they are rich yet frugal and they are insecure about their noses.

So now I have the enlightened privilege to take these stereotypes into any interaction with someone who reveals themselves to be Jewish. Also, I now abide by the social agreement never to bring these stereotypes up in day-to-day life, lest I propagate them and reveal myself to harbor these racist thoughts.

Unless, of course, I’m looking for racial sensitivity credentials by shouting them at the top of my lungs to anybody who wasn’t aware of them.

My guess is the biggest internalized response by 99% of Jewish people is simply, "Damn, people are still talking about our noses."
Posted by cliche on May 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM · Report this
juche 172
@167

Shabbos goys and da' jooz point out how ignorant people are not jumping on the kosher bandwagon here by labeling it "The plastic nose that almost set off Shoah 2014".

@167

"The people who don't think this is stereotypical have not studied ww2 history, or have studied it poorly".

There are estimated 50 - 90 million murders during 'Ww2 era' The deaths of non-Jews mean nothing to you? Maybe your implying that these millions are not important because being Jewish was not the reason they were slaughtered?

Posted by juche on May 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM · Report this
TheDexter206 173
Well written. I diagree of course, but well written.
Posted by TheDexter206 http://www.GeneDexter.com on May 20, 2014 at 9:52 AM · Report this
juche 174
Jewish Lazar Kaganovich did Holodomor, Jewish Trotsky and Lenin did the Gulags, etc. people were murdered for all kinds of reasons, sorry being Jewish was not one of them. Wartime, propaganda was everywhere, the legacy of ww2 propaganda is exactly what the stranger is endorsing today by publishing this garbage Macklemore article.

Posted by juche on May 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Mainstream America now has a collective mentality of the Church Lady with paranoid schizophrenia. For fucks sake people it's a goddamn random ugly costume. Get over it. Move on. Quit scouring under every rock nook and cranny for imaginary shit.
Posted by Arturo Bandini on May 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM · Report this
The stupid costume in question makes him look more like Phineas Freak than anything.
Posted by Arturo Bandini on May 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM · Report this
let's not fall into the stereotype of being whiny jews.... this article is so whiny... get over it... he didn't mean to be anti semetic
Posted by Moriel on May 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM · Report this
Anyone who has complained here, and used the word 'gypped' in your lifetime, welcome to hypocrisy.

Sincerely, the Rom
Posted by TheRom on May 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM · Report this
snacktruck 179
He's not anti-Semitic, he's just plain dumb. You have the cash Nickelbacklemore, spend it on a better, ahem, "costume".

Just when I was forgetting about him like a lot of his 13 y/o fan base.
Posted by snacktruck on May 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM · Report this
Ah good. Juche has shown up to show everyone what modern anti-semitism looks like, and to say "who cares about the holocaust?"

@tkc: If people would stop defending him with the bullshit claims about recognizing stereotypes being racist or this totally wasn't a Jewish stereotype, we would probably have let it drop. His apology was late, but heartfelt and pained, and good enough for most of us, but he has a ton of ignorant defenders who want to keep making an issue out of their ignorance.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on May 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM · Report this
KingofQueenAnne 181
If you’re on this thread and think this is all blown out of proportion because you are unaware of the ubiquity and history of these racist stereotypes long enjoyed by anti-Semites, then methinks that you’re probably not that plugged-in with Jewish communities in the first place, and shouldn’t opine on whether they should be offended or not.

Macklemore could have provided a more appropriate non-apology that centered on the fact that this was all a perfect storm and—looking back—he could see how this would come off as offensive and is very apologetic for not having caught that in the first place. I think some acknowledgement that these exaggerated stereotypes exist is in order—especially since Macklemore was never taunted for being Jewish by having pennies thrown at him. Yeah, that’s a thing too.
Posted by KingofQueenAnne http://blingeejesus.blogspot.com on May 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM · Report this
@180 And it goes on forever. There are always dumbshits like Juche. Always. You might as well argue with Seattleblues.

Letting the nutbags and racist shit heads be proxy's for Macklemore - because that's what your doing now - doesn't make your position seem any more enlightened.

You got your apology. Let it go.
Posted by tkc on May 20, 2014 at 11:34 AM · Report this
@182: Oh, I don't argue with Juche. And I don't let them act as proxies. I'm perfectly capable of trying to educate THEM. I don't think they are Macklemore, but I do think they need to educate themselves about where these stereotypes he fell into came from.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on May 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM · Report this
I'm a NY Jew living in Seattle, and sad to say the jewish community here is much like the rest of the people here - PASSIVE. You would barely know there were 30,000 of us here because they completely fly under the radar. I remember when there was a horrific shooting at the Jewish Federation here and when I went down to my respects, there was about 2 other people there and 3 flowers. So it doesn't surprise me that there hasn't been a big reaction from the jewish community here...there never is, about anything. Personally I wasn't offended, but rather disappointed that he and his crew had such poor judgment or that they are so naïve to not realize what they were doing. Either way, it was dumb.
Posted by 190 on May 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Your friends agreed with you because they're your friends and probably wanted you to shut up while they were watching a concert. However, this appears to me to be overboard. The guy looks like a goofball in that costume. Making the leap to anti-semitism says more about the "offended" than the "offender".
Posted by nothingtoseehere on May 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM · Report this
venomlash 186
@172: You may not understand how quotation marks work. Your post is the first and (apart from this reference to it) ONLY appearance of the phrase "The plastic nose that almost set off Shoah 2014". So no, no Jews here are demanding that it be called that; YOU came up with that phrase.

More Gentiles than Jews died during World War II. The Holocaust proper claimed about as many Jews as Gentiles. Why then is it considered a particularly anti-Jew crime? Because Jews represent a small minority of Continental Europe and were intensely singled out in a way that no other victims were, with perhaps two out of every three killed. We Jews remember the six million dissidents, Roma, homosexuals, Muslims, mentally-disabled persons, blacks, and others who were massacred by the same scum who sought to eradicate us, just as we remember the Righteous Among The Nations, Gentiles who protected Jews (even often at the cost of endangering themselves) because they knew it was the right thing to do.

@174: Your facts are lacking. Trotsky was responsible for the Gulag system? He fell from power in 1927 and was deported from the Soviet Union in 1929; the Gulags were not established until 1930. Lenin responsible for the Gulags? Lenin died in 1924! (Not to mention, Lenin was born to Orthodox and Lutheran Christian parents, not Jews.)
This is like when you claimed that Sigmund Freud influenced Karl Marx. You have absolutely no conception of history other than to conclude that the Jews were involved.

The fact of the matter is, you live in a distasteful little fantasy where the Jews can be easily blamed for everything. It's a damned shame; if you weren't chasing your own illusions, you might actually be capable of solving your own problems.
Posted by venomlash on May 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM · Report this
I'm honestly more offended at all the people that are so racist in themselves that they view everything as racist. Sure the costume was a misstep, but the fact that people immediately view the costume as making fun of Jews seem to be backing up and believing in these stereotypes. Which I've always felt gas been a grievous error with our society
Posted by WilhelmJones on May 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 188
@ 186, Stalin largely built upon foundations laid by Lenin. Maybe Vladimir Ilyich never intended there to be a vast network of exile prison camps overflowing with millions of ordinary Soviet citizens and Bolsheviks who had displeased him, but then again he wasn't insecure, paranoid, or a psychopath like Stalin was.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Entertainers of all races portray uptight white people for laughs all the time, and people think it's hilarious. Also, elements of Hollywood continue to push racial stereotypes all the time. You know.. the casting agent trying to get the black actor to "be more black", or the Hispanic actor to "be more... you know... Mexican?" Sometimes the shoe is on the other foot. Do I think he's racist? Nope. Do I think you could consider that a racist costume? Sure. Do I think it's a big deal? Nope, not at all. Don't be so sensitive. I could go watch the Chapelle Show live back in the day and laugh my ass off. And almost every skit would be poking fun at my race. So what? I own it. Ironically... I find it amusing that (at least religiously practicing) Jewish people are so quick to get upset considering their religion regards non-Jews as little more than dogs. Talmud anyone? You probably have the most racist faith on the planet. As for me? I love everyone, and at the same time... everyone is a dick... Everyone makes fun of something/someone... everyone could be ridiculed for something... and everyone can survive humor. Just how I see it. On the other hand, being the victim of something you see as racist can sure give you a very special experience. A very special perspective. Perhaps it can gift someone with a bit of empathy.
Posted by Uptight Cracker on May 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM · Report this
"My intention was to dress up and surprise the people at the show with a random costume and nothing more. Thus, it was surprising and disappointing that the images of a disguise were sensationalized leading to the immediate assertion that my costume was anti-Semitic. I acknowledge how the costume could, within a context of stereotyping, be ascribed to a Jewish caricature. I am here to say that it was absolutely not my intention, and unfortunately at the time I did not foresee the costume to be viewed in such regard. I’m saddened that this story, or any of my choices, would lead to any form of negativity... I truly apologize to anybody that I may have offended. I hope this better explains the situation and my point of view."

that's one of the final paragraphs from his official statement, found at http://macklemore.com/post/86276707372/f…
Posted by amandar on May 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM · Report this

Posted by amandar on May 20, 2014 at 12:57 PM · Report this
I'm not Jewish myself, but I have to say that the very first thing that registered in my mind was that this was a caricature of the stock Jewish character, a la Shylock, and that it was in really bad taste. Perhaps it's because I'm American Indian, and we have to deal with our own b.s. and Native appropriate, stereotypes of us and our culture, and so on that makes me more sensitive to these things. Even if Macklemore didn't intend for the costume to be anti-Semitic when he "threw it together," a quick look in the mirror should have told him how he looked.
Posted by CherokeeWriter on May 20, 2014 at 1:17 PM · Report this
ɥsɐןɯouǝʌ 193
@188: Yes, but Joe Stalin didn't have any Jewish heritage, so according to Juche, his crimes must be blamed on Lenin, who had one Jewish grandparent. The mind boggles at the lengths to which people like him go in order to blame the Jews.
Posted by ɥsɐןɯouǝʌ on May 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM · Report this
This article does a great job of showing us the definition of taking things out context. Do a tiny bit of research on this artist before you judge. If anyone should be offended it Macklemore!
Posted by jillybeanfx on May 20, 2014 at 1:59 PM · Report this
Ropeadope 195
In an unexpected irony, ultra racial sensitivities cannibalized themselves yesterday when Macklemore, who won a Grammy for a song about racial sensitivity was nearly banished from the face of western civilization by the collective Jewish tribalist media for wearing a plastic schnozzola. Drumming up outcry against the return of ww2 propaganda.

50 - 90 million people were murdered in the ww2 era. Half of all western literature is dedicated to the Jewish perspective. Does anyone really think wartime propaganda was only used against Jews? Anyone realize that Jewish Lazar Kaganovich did Holodomor, Jewish Trotsky and Lenin and many other Jews did the Gulags? Are Jewish lives worth more than the people who were murdered for being of other races, nationality or political association?

This media uproar over Macklemore is a ruse and propaganda in itself for Jewish political strategies. THE JEWS CAN NEVER BE BLAMED FOR ANYTHING AS LONG AS THEY PLAY THE ANTI SEMITE CARD.

Why does the media promote worthless stories about a man wearing a plastic nose and pretend like its the precursor to holocaust 2.0? Why is the media ignoring the modern day apartheid and murder of the Palestinian people by the Jews who claim the land they were expelled from in 70ad belongs to only them? Why does the media blame everything on anti-semitism? Why were the Jews expelled everywhere they went?
Posted by Ropeadope on May 20, 2014 at 2:09 PM · Report this
THANK YOU! I admit I got into a rage fest on his facebook page, telling him exactly how I felt. Thank you for an awesome article!
Posted by Marigolds on May 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 197
@195, Oh look, a sockpuppet. Hey Juche, you really need to edit your comments before posting them under a different ID.

Then again, you are a racist idiot so it doesn't surprise me that you can't even troll properly.
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on May 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM · Report this
venomlash 198
@195: Hello Juche. Nice to meet your alternate account. You realize that you copied-and-pasted pretty much directly from your previous post? DIAF
Posted by venomlash on May 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM · Report this
Just a random thought related to racist stuff. Does anyone ever demand apologies from the writers of tv shows that seem to have constant racist overtones such as Family Guy or South Park? Society lives and breathes this stuff everyday...yet somehow they get away with this?
Or am I just way out of the loop and people are pissed about this as well?
Posted by Doesitmatter? on May 20, 2014 at 6:39 PM · Report this
As an Irish American whos ancestors were persecuted, enslaved and killed outright ALSO.. im sure he's not just another Honkey trying to make light of YOUR ancestry. YOU NEED TO QUIT STEREOTYPING white people. I suppose you know more history than your own ancestry?? If not i suggest reaearching a bit before YOU start sounding "racist". Quit being so damn sensitive. We have all gotten too PC. Time to lightenup and enjoy the differences in our races. Quit living in the past and embrace the future. A future with a damn sense of humor.
Posted by seahawkerholm on May 20, 2014 at 7:48 PM · Report this
Congratulations

You my friend just might have single handedly ruined a career of a person that has put this town and its young people on the map again. Obviously he did not know what he was doing, and obviously you did not know what you were doing and that it will come to this either.

No Pressure,

And now that You got the attention of the whole wide world web to You and you got your apology I think You should appologize to Mack as well.

He is a good dude, he might be a bit chalenged from all the fame and lime light but generaly a good dude.

I really hope I am wrong
and that you actually just made him stronger by posting your feelings about a show you saw the other day.
And I really wish for you two to sit down and have a beer and talk about it.

Peace

Madonna Louise Ciccone
Posted by Madonna Louise Ciccone on May 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM · Report this
Ironic that the picture on the package for the fake nose he appears to be wearing from the store his people got it at has a picture of sheikh on it. But it's called "Sheikh / Fagin nose," making it a caricature of or offensive to Arabs and Jews simultaneously. Also, image searches reveal the nose used in devil costumes, witches, and Sheikhs. Nary a Jew in sight, not even the offensive caricature Fagin. Of course, now pictures of Macklemore are trending up.

The same actual nose mold is used for a witch, they just add a wart. The shit these out of a factory in China somewhere, and I seriously doubt even the manufacturer has the intention to caricature Jews with their nose mold design.

Not surprisingly, few if any Arabs are pissed here, nor are there many theatric makeup artists discussing the finer points of the Sheikh/Fagin/Woochie nose, and its relative merits for devil, sheikh costumes, weird demon thingy costumes (which all it appears to be used for, ya know, theatrically) and its pairing with big fake chins, horns, skin lesions, etc.

Dumb move, purely stupidly accidental by all appearances, and a total over-reaction by plenty of people.
Posted by nullbull on May 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM · Report this
He looks Arab to me
Posted by lamess on May 20, 2014 at 10:13 PM · Report this
You just promoted him! I am sure he happy for your article! If you weren't a fan, you got lots more people talking about him!
Posted by Vendorablue on May 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM · Report this
wasted my time reading this hate article.
Posted by poloreincarnation on May 21, 2014 at 7:11 AM · Report this
I just wasted my time reading this hate article.
Posted by poloreincarnation on May 21, 2014 at 7:16 AM · Report this
I'm a witch and I, for one, am unfuckingbelievably offended!
Posted by joemomma on May 21, 2014 at 2:28 PM · Report this
You must really love Mel Brooks movies!
Posted by Chip.Magnum on May 21, 2014 at 6:33 PM · Report this
Thinking it's super ironic that the ad is all about respecting religions, and the huge banner ad at the top of the page is for one of the most offensive musicals ever produced. Let's practice what we preach, guys.
Posted by acfs on May 21, 2014 at 7:32 PM · Report this
Mischa Vainburg 210
I'm just gonna... leave this here. http://squidbasedink.com/2014/05/21/im-r…
Posted by Mischa Vainburg http://squidbasedink.wordpress.com on May 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM · Report this
Non-apologies, the product of privilege.

Even if it were believable that it wasn't obviously racist (no) the right thing to do when someone says, yo, that is some racist shit right there, is to respond: oh. I'm so sorry, I was insulated by the privilege of being an ignorant white dude who has been insulated all his life from having to think about how the non-privileged live. LET ME RUMINATE ON THIS AND GET BACK TO YOU. At least. At the very fucking least.

By contrast, denying there's a problem at all (e.g. from 'don't we have better things to worry about' to 'y'all are just LOOKING for reasons to be mad!') is boilerplate racist bullshit. The end.
Posted by happyhedonist on May 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM · Report this