Saturday, May 17, 2014

Must Be in the Air Here: The Songs I Listen To When I Miss Seattle

Posted by on Sat, May 17, 2014 at 8:35 AM

I don't live in Seattle anymore. I moved to Nashville in December and while I'm loving it a little more every day (we'll see how I feel once the humidity and summer hits, however), it feels like my heart is still up there in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. Since I can't afford to hop on a plane whenever I get a craving for a Paseo tofu sandwich, Rachel's Ginger Beer, or active volcanos and large bodies of water, I've created this playlist of songs about Seattle.

If you have other great songs about Seattle and the mighty Pacific Northwest, let me know! I'd love to add them to the list—it'll help ease my aching heart during those extra lame bouts of homesickness.

You could certainly add one of the greatest songs about Seattle ever, "Seattle" by Public Image Ltd. Hard to go wrong with John Lydon sneering about Seattle.
Posted by evilicious on May 17, 2014 at 8:58 AM · Report this
California Kid 2
Summertime in Seattle by Mercury Rising is a great ode to brief summers
Posted by California Kid on May 17, 2014 at 9:04 AM · Report this
"come home to seattle" by Primo Kim
Posted by sonny on May 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM · Report this
theophrastus 4
Some rather annoying re-invention of the invidious 'blink tag' via javascript and scary Spotify™ spying here
Posted by theophrastus on May 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM · Report this
Grrr 5
Harborview Hospital by Mark Lanegan
Posted by Grrr on May 17, 2014 at 9:39 AM · Report this
"Seattle Bound" by the Smugglers.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on May 17, 2014 at 10:23 AM · Report this
Roma 7
"Seatt'll Be The Day" by Muddy Holly
Posted by Roma on May 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM · Report this
all a little on the nose.
Posted by I do not really believe you on May 17, 2014 at 11:21 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 9
"Seattle" - PiL
Posted by Gern Blanston on May 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM · Report this
nicholaus 10
Definitely a fan of the Hot Toddies song, it always makes me smile.
Posted by nicholaus on May 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM · Report this
Jessica 11
No United State of Electronica "Emerald City" or "Vamos A La Playa"? For shame, Megan. FOR SHAME.

(Also: Robyn Hitchcock's "Viva Seatac", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_son…, and I have a weird soft spot for MxPx's "Move to Bremerton" despite it not being about Seattle.)
Posted by Jessica on May 17, 2014 at 11:58 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 12

Nashville to Seattle...I'd like to hear more about that (if you haven't mentioned it already, have to look through the SLOG memory banks).

I have a remote location co-worker who's been bending my ear (via Google Chat) every other day about the horrors of Nashville and how he wants to escape with his spouse to the PNW.

I keep telling him...I covet the house prices in Tennessee and I'd stay put (no, not being a curmudgeon, it's how it is).

My theory of course, is that everywhere is Seattle anyway. Seattle is the model for all cities and towns and suburbs and even rural areas. Every place is green. Every place has good coffee. And the broadband fills in the rest.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on May 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM · Report this
Tom Russell's Blue Wing.
Posted by Mourvèdre on May 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 14
Thanks for all the suggestions, y'all! (That's Nashvillian for you all, btw.) I will update!

And @11, sadly U.S.E. isn't in Spotify! Not that I could find, anyway. Definitely wanted to put "Emerald City" on there, but alas.
Posted by Megan Seling on May 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM · Report this
tainte 15
not seattle, but northwest....db cooper by todd snider, who is an east nashville resident and a goddamn national treasure.

he plays in nashville a lot. you should check him out!
Posted by tainte on May 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM · Report this
Enigma 16
I put all these songs into a Playlist on Grooveshark, but was sad to find that Chastity Belt and Muddy Holly weren't on there.
Guess no one thought them important enough to upload their albums.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on May 17, 2014 at 1:53 PM · Report this
So there's songs naming Seattle. How fascinating, y'all. Is there also entire genres of music that were first created in Seattle? Or"the Pacific Northwest" which is what exactly, Washington AND Oregon AND Idaho? The "Idaho sound" is that a subgenre?
Posted by New Orleans and the Delta Blues; Jazz too. on May 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM · Report this
Roma 18
13/Mourvèdre, I'm a big Tom Russell fan. His live shows -- especially those when he's had Andrew Hardin playing with him -- have been superb.
Posted by Roma on May 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM · Report this
The Ave blue scholars
Posted by Seattle14 on May 17, 2014 at 6:00 PM · Report this
You'd probably also like Blake Shelton, his album "Red River Blue" contains a great song called "Sunny in Seattle (and snowing in New Orleans). and it's on Spotify.
Posted by Chas Redmond on May 17, 2014 at 6:05 PM · Report this
jp 21
Robyn Hitchcock, "Viva SeaTac."
Posted by jp http://vegetablecow.wordpress.com on May 17, 2014 at 7:10 PM · Report this
Nick Nelson 22
Optimus Rhyme - "My Piroshky"

Sabzi - "Pho Life"
Posted by Nick Nelson on May 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM · Report this
McBomber 23
Hey I only came to Seattle about six years ago, but these are some songs that make me feel planted here, for one reason or another. If I ever leave (not likely), I'll listen to these to think of home:
Nice pick on the Lonely Forest "Live There" (Nashville, you're way too safe!). I also like their "We Sing in Time." Video is very northwesty, though dark.
This KEXP video of Head and the Heart at Doe Bay works, too.
Speaking of KEXP, the Mountain Goats aren't from Seattle, and the song isn't about Seattle, but I first heard it on KEXP and John plays it often on the morning show.
Also, Visqueen's "Ward"
And Mad Rad's "Caveman" (can't find a good link for that one, but good luck).
Posted by McBomber on May 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM · Report this
DOUG. 24
Blue Scholars, "Joe Metro".
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on May 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM · Report this
The Empty Yellow Houses of Fort Lawton 25
What 21 said. Also maybe Ballard Bitter by Treepeople? Sub Pop Rock City by Soundgarden? Too cliché?

There are so may songs that FEEL like Seattle to me. Yeah, admittedly, mostly grunge. But I grew up skipping school & hopping Metro buses from Kent to White Center, exploring & listening to songs like this. I Awake by Soundgarden, Check-Out Time by Mudhoney, Plague Years by Tad, the whole of Sap by Alice In Chains...
Posted by The Empty Yellow Houses of Fort Lawton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lawton on May 18, 2014 at 4:18 AM · Report this
The Empty Yellow Houses of Fort Lawton 26
Make that Kent to White Center to Kenmore. When will we able to ever edit comments!

Since post above, have listened to nearly all songs in comments, particularly enjoyed the Optimus Rhyme, Say Hi & uh. Blake Shelton. Don't be ashamed to embrace a little grunge though :)
Posted by The Empty Yellow Houses of Fort Lawton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lawton on May 18, 2014 at 5:24 AM · Report this
We miss you too!

Rainy Day (Dream Away) - Jimi - not specific, but the heart of the city is there. And do note the deep inhale at the top. Legal now.

Posted by DawginExile on May 18, 2014 at 7:11 AM · Report this
--MC 28
"Aurora Bridge" by the Young Fresh Fellows. "In this Seattle town, we seem to take a lot for granted now, but did you ever really stop to think what would happen if the Aurora Bridge fell down?"
Posted by --MC on May 18, 2014 at 7:59 AM · Report this