Friday, May 16, 2014

Three New York Roommates Find $41,000 in Their Couch

Posted by on Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM

While "investigating the cause of their thrift-store couch's lumpiness." They'd bought it for $20 at the Salvation Army. The money belonged to a little old lady... here's what happened. (Hooray for moms, and good people in general!)

fletc3her 1
That's why I keep my money in the bank.
Posted by fletc3her on May 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Tracy 2
Although kinda feels like $1,000 split 3-ways is a little cheap for how much good (and effort) these folks put into returning the money. I'd have thought $1,000 for each of them would have been a much nicer thank you. I mean, she'd still have $38,000 she didn't have yesterday. $333 is helpful, of course, but $1,000 actually can get you a trip or make a more significant dent in your debt.
Posted by Tracy on May 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM · Report this
lark 3
Bethany,
I read that in this morning's Seattle Times. Good on them. I would be anxious coming across that kind of amount in cash. I'd call the authorities. It stands to reason that they returned the money to its rightful owner. They are exemplary citizens.
Posted by lark on May 16, 2014 at 1:51 PM · Report this
marymc 4
I think the old lady should change her will, and leave whatever is left when she dies to these three people, and not to her family members who gave away her belongings without asking her!
Posted by marymc on May 16, 2014 at 4:07 PM · Report this
monkey 5
Well at least it didn't end up like Shallow Grave (1994).
Posted by monkey on May 17, 2014 at 9:51 AM · Report this