Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What the Neofolk? Death in June Live in May at Studio Seven

Posted by on Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Somehow this eluded me until the weekend, but Death in June is playing Studio Seven Tues. May 20. This is an exciting prospect for people into esoteric, post-industrial, neofolk music, as Death in June (the singular project of British musician Douglas Pearce, who now lives in Australia) has been creating some of the most compulsive work in this style for over three decades and he rarely makes it to this part of the world.

Controversy has dogged Pearce for decades due to his stage attire and symbolism he’s used to accompany his music that have their source in Nazi Germany. In a 1999 interview with the Russian webzine Achtung Baby, Pearce touched on the subject: “I've an interest in all aspects of the Third Reich. It has had such a huge influence on the world, who could fail to be intrigued by it? However, I've still read more pages of Das Kapital than Mein Kampf!” Furthermore, some of his best friends (and collaborators) are Jewish, and in 2004 DIJ performed in Israel.

This is probably the most interesting gig Studio Seven’s booked since Antipop Consortium in 2009. More info about the show can be gleaned here.

Tovirus 1
Thanks for the heads up! Tix purchased.
Posted by Tovirus on May 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM · Report this
Queue the inevitable Death in June-related Internet shitstorm in 3...2...1...
Posted by redemma on May 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM · Report this
(for the record I'm going)
Posted by redemma on May 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM · Report this
Tovirus 4
@2 From What I hear their recent shows have gone off with little to no drama.
Posted by Tovirus on May 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM · Report this
@4 That's not what my Facebook feed said the other week.
Posted by redemma on May 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM · Report this
Tovirus 6
Oh well. We shall see I guess. It's a bummer that so many supposedly open minded individuals can be so closed minded when it comes to things that make them feel uncomfortable. I'm glad I get the opportunity to see them.
Posted by Tovirus on May 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM · Report this
TCLballardwallymont 7
They always attract controversy. Here's a roundup article of the particulars. It isn't great, but if you haven't heard of these guys it'll serve as an ok primer on the typical arguments.

Posted by TCLballardwallymont on May 13, 2014 at 6:21 PM · Report this
um...wait... the mackelmore thing has 80+ comments...
Posted by AMYISRAELCHAI on May 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM · Report this