Friday, May 9, 2014

Salon vs. Slate on Seattle's "Ugly" Minimum Wage Hike

Posted by on Fri, May 9, 2014 at 6:00 AM

On Wednesday morning, I posted a Slate piece in which Jordan Weissmann worries that Seattle's proposed $15 minimum wage could crash the city's economy.

Today, we turn to the question Salon poses in response: "Worst 'Slate pitch' ever?"

The writer, David Dayen, goes on to say:

It wouldn’t be an issue of economic empowerment in America if someone at Slate wasn’t willing to argue against it in contrarian fashion. In this case, Jordan Weissmann warns that the proposal is “misbegotten,” “a step too far,” “dubious,” “ugly,” and a “cause for concern,” and will inevitably lead to low-wage workers getting replaced with robots and businesses shipping out to nearby suburbs.

First of all, the idea that this is an unprecedented expansion of the minimum wage isn’t all that true if you factor in cost of living. Seattle is one of the more expensive cities in America...

Read the whole thing.

rob! 1
They'll need to do better than that to differentiate themselves. I constantly get the two sites mixed up.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on May 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM · Report this
I expect every one that supports $15NOW to go ahead and raise their employee's wages to that level RIGHT NOW. Not tomorrow, today. Hell, make it retroactive to the start of this campaign.

That includes your illegal gardener, the girl down the street who babysits for you, the nanny, and the maid.

Unpaid interns? Ha! A thing of the past. Don't you know "It's immoral not to pay a living wage."

"Volunteers"? Only if they're independently wealthy. Otherwise they're just more unpaid interns and you know "It's immoral not to pay a living wage."

There's nothing stopping you except hypocrisy.
Posted by delbert on May 9, 2014 at 9:11 AM · Report this
@2 And then, every rich person who thinks taxes should be higher should just start paying higher taxes for themselves. Otherwise, hypocrisy!

Seriously. Learn how the world works a bit before you start calling people names.
Posted by stating the obvious on May 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM · Report this
Slate v. Salon? File under "narcissism of small differences."
Posted by Billy Chav on May 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM · Report this
@3 Yes, you are correct. Many of the American Left ARE hypocrites. Calling for higher taxes, once they've secured their own fortunes.

But the pendulum swings, and now those of us advocating liberty and freedom can use Alinsky's rules just as easily.
Posted by delbert on May 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM · Report this
I think the remarks of the vice chair of the FDIC from the article cited below is the best response to that ignorant douchetard writing in Slate.

The vice chair of the FDIC, Thomas Hoenig, had this to say when testifying before the House Financial Services Committee:

Mega banks are now “larger and more complex than they were pre-crisis”;

“The eight largest banking firms have assets that are the equivalent to 65 percent of GDP”;

“The average notional value of derivatives for the three largest U.S. banking firms at year-end 2013 exceeded $60 trillion, a 30 percent increase over their level at the start of the crisis”;

The largest banks are “excessively leveraged with ratios, on average, of nearly 22 to 1”;

Taxpayer bailouts have not ended under Title II of Dodd-Frank and, most likely, not under Title I as well;

Smaller regional banks “are smothering under layers of new regulations” even though they are holding “significantly higher levels of capital than the largest banking and financial firms”;

[I actually disagree with the bolded statement, when closely examining their credit derivatives exposure, one would conclude that the top five banksters comprise 70% of the GDP!]
Posted by sgt_doom on May 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM · Report this
One must really take exception with the POV at The Stranger espousing US imperialism and American Exceptionalism (reminds one of that Stranger editor who once supported the illegal invasion of Iraq). The present administraion has supported elements of al Qaeda in both Syria and Libya, and now neo-Nazis in Ukraine, while just a relatively short time ago, Vice President Joey bin Biden claimed that WikiLeaks' Julian Assange was a terrorist --- seems this administration has a real schizoid interpretation of who the actual terrorists are.

Those now engaged in economic warfare against Russia are the same ones involved in promoting economic and financial warfare against Americans --- they are the real terrorists.

Posted by sgt_doom on May 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM · Report this
bobjoebob 8
@6/7: Doom, stop smoking your own supply! That's gonna cut into your profits and now you're fracking loopy.
Posted by bobjoebob on May 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 9
@2,

What world do you live in? Every self-employed housekeeper I've ever known made $15/hour at least, even factoring in payroll taxes.

@5,

"Freedom" to fucks like you inevitably means fascism.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Dougsf 10
On the one hand, I disagree with the Slate article. On the other hand, Salon is the stupidest fucking magazine.
Posted by Dougsf on May 9, 2014 at 12:39 PM · Report this
TCLballardwallymont 11
@2 @5 There are some hypocritical people who identify as left (and right, of course). It isn't hard to spot things like:

Tolerance is good BUT DIE YOU FUCKER WHO BELIEVES SOMETHING I DON'T!
Diversity is good BUT DIE YOU FUCKER WHO COMES TO A DIVERGENT CONCLUSION!

However, I don't see what you're getting at with "Calling for higher taxes, once they've secured their own fortunes.". "I have more, so I should pay more, and so should everyone who has as much or more than I do. Lets vote on it." is a consistent statement.

I was hoping you were sarcastic, but I see from your comment history that you like to rant about hypocrisy while spouting libertarian drivel. I get that you want to remove what few social, economic, and environmental safety mechanisms we actually have, and leave us to the tender mercies of the benevolent corporations and banks.

Liberty and Freedom - with water we can't drink, food we can't afford, ownership we'll never attain, schools for the rich. Do you get that's the libertarian dream you are arguing for? Do you understand that the libertarian party is made up of the extremely wealthy, and the extremely stupid who vote against their own interest because a flag was waived?

I'll take the occasionally hypocritical over the constantly idiotic. You might look into it as well.
Posted by TCLballardwallymont on May 9, 2014 at 7:16 PM · Report this
@11 I'll take idiotic Libertarians and stupid Republicans over fascist Democrats any day.

Your false dichotomy of "If you don't want government running every single damned thing, you must want some version of Somalia" is sickening. Big government is expensive, inefficient, and bad at its stated goals. Big corporations are ascendant in this country due to regulatory capture and crony capitalism. Check who Goldman Sachs has contributed to recently. 76,000 pages of tax law and about 1,200 pages apply to you or me.

Yeah, I'll pass on your version of America. I'd rather fail on my own than have a nanny telling me what I can and can't do. Because the list of "can'ts" is huge.
Posted by delbert on May 11, 2014 at 9:58 AM · Report this