Friday, May 9, 2014

Prog Fans Should Make a Pilgrimage to See Wishbone Ash Sunday at Triple Door

Posted by on Fri, May 9, 2014 at 6:03 PM

British prog-rock group Wishbone Ash play the Triple Door Sun. May 11. They were renowned in the early '70s for their often searing, serpentine dual-guitar attack and deft ability to blend rock, folk, and classical music into catchy, interestingly structured songs. Their first three albums—Wishbone Ash, Pilgrimage, and Argus—are excellent additions to any prog head's collection. I bet Television's Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd had these LPs on their shelves.

Only one original member remains: the virtuosic guitarist/vocalist Andy Powell. He's joined by Finnish guitarist Muddy Manninen, bassist Bob Skeat, and drummer Joe Crabtree, who's played with Pendragon and King Crimson's David Cross. Get more info about the show here.

Wishbone Ash, Savoy Brown, late 60's/very early 70's Fleetwood Mac were and still are amazing. It's my hope to have their music played at my funeral.
Posted by Fairhaven on May 9, 2014 at 8:54 PM · Report this
Estey 2
This is an extraordinary event. Thanks for plugging this and to the Triple Door for letting me hear the adventurous sounds of my youth. And those LPs hold up. One' of prog's strangely successful yet best kept secrets. Glad you're on it, Dave!
Posted by Estey on May 10, 2014 at 5:18 AM · Report this
Seattle is not only turning into me, it's turning into the radio show I used to do during the late 70s at WPRB-FM along with my cohort, Chuck Willis (his stage name...I went on the air as John Lemongello) called 60s Rock.

We would find all these albums left over from ten or fifteen years ago from previous Classes that were 2nd, 3rd or deeper level prog rock (Wishbone Ash, Captain Beefheart, The Fugs) in a bookcase for albums called "the rabbit". (I never discovered the etymology of the rabbit.)

Our Central New Jersey audience were hippies (not ex-hippies, because people were still hippie-hippies then), wasted teens who couldn't find their usual station, and the officers at the State Trooper station manning the late night shift.

Soon everyone and everything will be me.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on May 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Frank Blethen's vodka distiller 4
This is probably the most well known song by Wishbone Ash.

Posted by Frank Blethen's vodka distiller on May 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM · Report this
@4 I almost went with that one. Tremendous song.
Posted by Dave Segal on May 11, 2014 at 3:00 PM · Report this