Friday, May 9, 2014

Man Allegedly Kills Neighbor for Feeding Deer

Posted by on Fri, May 9, 2014 at 8:43 AM

The story in this HuffPo post is that a man in suburban Minneapolis shot two of his neighbors (killing one, a man, and injuring the other, a woman) because of a disagreement concerning deer. The neighbors, it appears, where in the habit of feeding these wild animals when they chanced upon on their property; the alleged killer wanted them to stop doing this. Things escalated from that initial point, and eventually the bullets began to fly. "He shot me!"—these are reported to be the last words of one of the two victims. The suburban man "was charged with second-degree murder and second-degree attempted murder."

I keep dreaming about buying a house and land to get away from some of the annoying habits of my close quarters neighbors (like talking on a cell phone in the stairwell from 9pm to 11pm because it echoes into my living room), but then I read stories like this (another was one in a really wealthy exurb of Washington DC where people were ready to kill each other because of small dogs barking...million dollar homes with people acting like trailer folk) and I wonder if I would just be trading in my problems for a more expensive version of the same.

A cave is starting to sound good...been reading up on hermits and ascetics.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on May 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM · Report this
That dead guy really should have armed himself.
Posted by Random Poster on May 9, 2014 at 9:23 AM · Report this
@2

It's Minnesota. What makes you think the dead guy wasn't armed?

It's not like Chicago or Connecticut where criminals don't have guns because they're illegal.
Posted by CPN on May 9, 2014 at 9:26 AM · Report this
Well, the story says he was running away at the time of being shot... Doesn't sound like an armed stand off to me, if he was a good guy with a gun maybe he could have stopped the bad guy with a gun who shot him. This story clearly shows that we all need more guns...
Posted by Random Poster on May 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM · Report this
COMTE 5
@1:

Meh, instead of being shot, you'd just get a Clovis-point spear to the gut thrown by your idiot neighbor because your fire was too bright or something.
Posted by COMTE on May 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 6
Please read the actual story you guys.

Neighbors said both houses were "fully armed" and they expected an armed confrontation to happen.

Charles' headline (and Huffington Post's) is sensationalist. The neighbors had been fighting for years, apparently, and feeding the deer was only part of it.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on May 9, 2014 at 10:08 AM · Report this
7 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
Matt from Denver 8
The only advantage I see to renting over owning is the fact that you can end up stuck with some horrible neighbors when you both own.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM · Report this

#5

Then the Washington State Department of Firebricks would come in if I had built an "illegal kiln".

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on May 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM · Report this
I wonder what the last words were of the hundreds of youths killed by other youths in South Seattle in the last decade.
Posted by seatownr on May 9, 2014 at 12:38 PM · Report this
COMTE 11
@9:

I guess it would depend on whether your cave was zoned for "commercial ore-smelting & fabrication", or "multi-generational tribal-affiliated residential".
Posted by COMTE on May 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM · Report this