Friday, May 9, 2014

Five Seasons and Then Nothingness: NBC Cancels Community

Posted by on Fri, May 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Sean O'Neal at the AV Club says:

The dream of six seasons and a movie is over: Numerous sources are reporting that NBC has canceled Community—four words that Community fans have dreaded hearing almost every day since the show’s first season, imagining what it would be like to read them, practicing saying them to see how they would feel in their mouth.

I'm sure that rabid fans are already composing Change.org petitions asking Netflix to pick up Community, but I think that's a bad idea. How about instead of lamenting dead shows, we agree to follow the writers and producers who created the show that we liked? Why don't we decide to expend all that fan energy on supporting their new projects, instead?

Well, that's probably not going to happen. At least we had a good fifth season—if the show ended on that terrible fourth season, I would probably be calling for a palate-cleansing continuation, too. It's too bad, though, that the episodes that now stand as the series finale were the weakest episodes of the season. Still: Thank you Community, for a fun last go-round. If nothing else, the fifth season delivered this amazing performance to the world:

I will never get sick of watching that rap.

Why would they wait until the show started getting good again before they canceled it?
Posted by Chester Copperpot on May 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 3
I must lack a sense of humor. I found The Office very funny. I liked 30 Rock. I just don't get this show. Not funny.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on May 9, 2014 at 2:12 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 4
NBC renewed Hannibal, they can do whatever they want with the rest of their existing lineup as far as I'm concerned.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on May 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM · Report this
If you're going to berate readers ahead of time for not supporting future projects, you could at least mention Harmon's new show.
Posted by unpaid reader on May 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 6
@4,

I dare to dream that they'll move it to Thursday night, but this is NBC, so I won't count on it.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM · Report this

I got saturated with their trippy meta humor by about Season 2 and a half.

Also, the McHale-Jacobs interplay reminiscent of the Cheers Sam-Diane romance -- which, yes, I know, they were adequately self-aware and self-referential about -- was still as awkward and hard to watch as the original.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on May 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM · Report this
This is something that frustrates me about fandom. I mean, I get it. I'd love another season of Leverage or another Firefly/Serenity movie but it's not going to happen, alas. Let's move on to the Avengers and Cabin in the Woods and whatever else is coming.

"But it was so good!"

Yeah, but do you really want yet another show that you recommend only in parts? I'd rather have one good season than "Yeah, the first two seasons were great, but the third blew goats. The fourth got better and the fifth ROCKED... but you need to know what happened in these five episodes of the third season in order to really get..."
Posted by Chris B http://eccentric-orbit.org on May 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Knat 9
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around FOX cancelling Arrested Development. That show was really damn funny. Frankly, I don't know how this one lasted as long as it did.
Posted by Knat on May 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM · Report this
Community has been around for 5 seasons? Really? Damn.

How did it last that long? The joke was played out halfway through the 2nd season. At best.

Posted by Machiavelli was framed on May 9, 2014 at 11:08 PM · Report this
Not sure what some of the sourpusses above missed about this show. Community was a fan favorite for a reason. It was original and extremely well cast. It will be missed.

#darkesttimeline
Posted by Amanda on May 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 12
@ 9, Fox has a long history of cancelling great shows. Not just the ones you've heard about for over a decade (Arrested Development, Firefly, Futurama) but also one that almost nobody heard of, Action, which started on Sunday night but was moved to Thursdays against Friends, ensuring that nobody but the few people sick of Friends would ever get to see it.

I don't know if Fox is still killing good shows, but for a while there it was clear that there was a lot of political fighting going on at the network, with great original programming serving as the pawns.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 10, 2014 at 9:50 AM · Report this