Friday, May 9, 2014

Behold! The Greatest Cookie You Will Ever Eat!

Posted by on Fri, May 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Eyebrows! Chocolate! Crispy crunchies!
  • Eyebrows! Chocolate! Crispy crunchies!
Have you ever had a Kinder Happy Hippo cookie? You need to have a Kinder Happy Hippo cookie as soon as possible. They are the best cookie you will ever eat.

First of all, they're shaped like a hippo that appears to be stalking you from a swamp of chocolate. Look at the cute, skeptical eyes and the tiny tail! They even have eyebrows. Adorable. Secondly, the hippos are filled with both sweet, milk-flavored cream and Nutella. When you bite into the light, super crispy wafer, the chocolatey insides melt all over your mouth, mixing together with the wafer and crunchy bits that coat the bottom half of their bodies. They look small and unassuming, but they're surprisingly rich—if you take too big of a bite, you'll end up looking like a dog trying to get peanut butter off the roof of its mouth. You don't devour the hippo, you savor the hippo.

They sell them at World Market down at Pike Place and I've also seen them at George's Sausage and Delicatessen. They're usually about $4 for a box a five, but like I said, they're little crispy chocolate bombs, so they're worth the nearly $1 a piece price. It's been a week, right? You deserve a treat! Go eat a hippo.

L: Before you bite off the nose; R: After you bite off the nose.
  • L: Before you bite off the nose; R: After you bite off the nose.

This is all true. I love the hippos!
Posted by hereiswheremynamegoes on May 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM · Report this
Kinison 2
Sure theres no toy surprise inside that you can choke on?
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on May 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM · Report this
Megan, have you had the cream puffs at Beard Papa's at Uwajimaya? Totally different texture, to be sure, but I have a feeling they would still hit your sweet spot.
Posted by karion on May 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM · Report this
kitschnsync 4
I second @3. Looove the macha cream puffs from Beard Papa's!

But I think Megan is out of state now.
Posted by kitschnsync on May 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM · Report this
it's = it is
Posted by Wheedle on May 9, 2014 at 11:42 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 6
@3,

Beard Papa's cream puffs are the least sweet cream puffs I've had in my life.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM · Report this
Dougsf 7
WHERE DO I GET THESE?!
Posted by Dougsf on May 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM · Report this
Kinder makes some magical, magical products. If you want to try and find their other ones, they are well worth it. most of the good ones need to be refridgerated so they are less easy to import. Here's a list of ones you could google/try:

Kinder ChocoFresh
like happy hippos but chocolate instead of wafer and caramel instead of nutella.. refrigerated and amazing.

Kinder MaxiKing
also refrigerated, chocolate covered soft wafer, solid-sih milk cream with liquid caramel on the inside. This is my favorite thing ever.

Kinder Schokobon - milky bites
I bring these back from Germany whenever I go because they travel well and everybody loves those. bonbon-sized chocolates filled with milk-creme and chopped hazelnuts. perfect!

Posted by Andreas on May 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM · Report this
raindrop 9
Stop being hypocritical and disingenuous progressives by foisting corporate junk processed foods on the vulnerable public. I'm appalled by this duplicitousness.
Posted by raindrop on May 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM · Report this
True story. Kinder = heroin in German—Bet you didn't know that.
Posted by jimicowan on May 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Raindrop...don't you mean hippocritical?
Posted by chrisE on May 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM · Report this