Tuesday, May 6, 2014

New Shabazz Palaces: "They Come In Gold"

Posted by on Tue, May 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

First: look at this picture. Just look at it!

shabazz-5.6.2014.jpg
  • PATRICK O'BRIEN-SMITH

Ishmael Butler, crouched by some grimy grocery storefront—causally holding two giant, glossy snakes on golden leashes. Wearing snakeskin print pants. There's really something strange going on here—I mean, when was the last time you saw a payphone? Yes, this is my big homie and occasional employer. I don't care, LOOK AT THAT PICTURE. This is the most badass flick since Isaac Hayes and his gold-chain vest.

Ish, I mean the Palaceer, can be heard on this new song from Shabazz Palaces, the first to be heard since 2011's monumental Black Up. It's called "They Come In Gold", possibly referring to reptile accoutrements. Lese Majesty drops on Sub Pop June 25th—you can preorder it now.

Ish,

Thank you for all the music you put into the world, from Dig Plans to Shabazz, keep changing music man, never stop!

-Michael
Posted by michael bell on May 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM · Report this
Fnarf 2
Those are pythons, right? People shouldn't be allowed to own pythons. That's animal abuse, plus it is standard for python owners to either get bored or lazy and let their animals go, where they create problems among native species. There are more feral pythons in Florida than there are gators now. And he's just dragging them along the pavement? That's torture, period. Every kind of exotic pet ownership should be a crime.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM · Report this
Fnarf 3
Pardon me, that appears to be a green anaconda, the largest snake in the world. City dwellers shouldn't own green anacondas, and they DEFINITELY shouldn't be dragging them by the leash on the pavement outside of a convenience store. They're water snakes.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 4
You know what Fnarf, you're totally right—and this reminds me of why is exactly why I find Game of Thrones so problematic. How can one person be allowed to just own the only known living dragons, which were thought extinct in Westeros...and are themselves huge fire hazards?
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on May 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM · Report this
I fear so many people are not ever going to see this comment thread. @4 just made my day
Posted by michael bell on May 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
@4, well, you know, there's a difference between reality and fiction. Are you saying those aren't his snakes? Whose snakes are they, then? Because those are real snakes in the picture.

It's illegal to own an anaconda in BC. It should be here too.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 7
@6 I'm just REALLY excited SP is dropping new music, seeing as Ish has had to dedicate so much of his time lately to the feeding and care of two giant non-venomous Amazonian water snakes. And don't get me started on the rest of his menagerie. Rappers and their possessions, man!
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on May 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM · Report this
Fnarf 8
@7, I'm glad you think animal abuse is funny.

My complaint doesn't have anything to do with rappers; I'd be just as appalled if these animals were being abused by tech libertarians, movie stars, or mutual fund managers.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 9
Top 3 of my humor hierarchy: animal abuse, Billy Crystal, and SLOG comments.
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on May 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM · Report this
X_X
Posted by sherpaco on May 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM · Report this
Shabazz Palaces makes the best music from the NW since Nirvana. I play the hell out of it on my podcast. facebook.com/GritRock
Posted by Darren Selector on May 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM · Report this
Have to agree with Fnarf. I love Shabazz and Digable Planets but only a jackass owns anacondas.
Posted by Snake-ish on May 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM · Report this
This comment thread is making my grass die.
Posted by Farts Weird on May 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM · Report this
See what happens when you throw Line Out in with Slog? You got your chocolate in my peanut butter.
Posted by kerri harrop http://generalbonkers.com on May 6, 2014 at 9:44 PM · Report this
Fnarf 15
@14, explain it to me like I"m stupid, Kerri. Why is this cool? Why is it all right? Why is questioning it worthy of jokes and eye-rolls instead of a serious answer?

By saying it's Line Out vs. Slog, you're saying that music fans don't mind a little animal abuse with their glittering stars. That's bullshit. I read Line Out too, and commented there.

And this doesn't have anything to do with an old man grumping about that rotten, no-good rap music, either. I listen to hip hop. I listen to Shabazz Palaces. I'd be saying the same thing if it was...Dave Grohl, or Miley Cyrus, or Morrissey, or the guy from Hey Marseilles for that matter.

So, somebody, explain to me why it's acceptable for Mr. Butler to do this. What kind of poisoned masculinity is this? I really want to hear someone explain it.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 16
"I really want to hear someone explain it."

This much is clear.

Start here: how viable do you think it is to put a goddamn leash on a fucking snake?
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on May 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM · Report this
Fnarf 17
@16, you're not going to answer the question, then.

I have a problem with "fucking snake". They're animals. They're not toys.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM · Report this
#17, Yeah, I just came back from the Everglades where redneck dickheads have completely decimated practically the entire mammal population by dumping their illegally owned snakes in the park, so this photo doesn't scream badass so much as, um, regular ass. I hope he plans to kill the snakes himself, since no vet will take them and he'll be facing huge fines if he turns them over to the cops.

And these fuckers with their endless appetites and no natural predators can swim, so they are slowly making their way up to other parts of Florida and possibly will be found in Georgia soon, as well. They offered a bounty to control the population and it didn't work. It's gotten so bad that Florida had it's first illegal pet drop off day, like our gun buyback program, where people can drop off their pets on that one day with no questions asked.

But, you know, it LOOKS cool, so whatever, get the stick out of your ass, right? It's a JOKE! Don't you have a sense of humor? I fucking hate the superficial idiots in this city.
Posted by virginia mason on May 7, 2014 at 1:32 PM · Report this
And, yes, I know "it's" should be "its" (can't call someone an idiot without correcting that).
Posted by virginia mason on May 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 20
@18 well I absolutely love the hyper-literal, quick to assume-ass, uptight 'intellectuals' in this city.

That need.

Everything.

Spelled out to them.

How the fuck do you people buy drugs?

Wait, you probably got a self-righteous anecdote for that too.

Let's push this post to the top!

Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on May 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Hey, I get my drugs for free so I must be doing something right.
Posted by virginia mason on May 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM · Report this