Tuesday, May 6, 2014

In Culture News: A Maniac Cop, a Bad Employer, and a Topless Book Club

Posted by and on Tue, May 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Don't Forget to GiveBIG! The deadline is midnight. Here's a long list of Stranger-approved charities that need your money.

"Amazon is an amazing company. As long as you don't work here." Gawker has published more letters from current and former Amazon employees. They paint a depressing picture of what it's like to work at the Great Walmart in the Sky.

Now I Have "Maniac" Stuck in My Head: Local author Ed Brubaker, who wrote the comics that the latest Captain America film is based on among many other titles, has written a remake of the movie Maniac Cop. The movie blogosphere has gone nuts over the news, and rightfully so.

Nick Offerman Is Dreamy: TV's Ron Swanson explains the pleasure of building things:

What’s beautiful about the human being is that there are those of us who have a propensity for problem solving. We say, “Okay, this screen door keeps blowing open. How can I most conveniently solve that problem?” The majority of people wouldn’t have the inclination to go into their box of miscellaneous hardware and say, “Here’s a spring, here’s a hinge, here’s a shim—how can I MacGyver these into a solution?”

Topless Book Club: It's been on the front of the Huffington Post for two days now, which I think means that Topless Book Club is the new Grumpy Cat.

Go Meet Miss Aqua: The name of the woman in this picture is Miss Aqua. She is a three-time cancer survivor. She owns a Dean Market with her father in Bombay Beach, California. She is a Pentecostal Christian from Michigan. You can see the this and other images, which were taken by Virginia Wilcox, this week at Violet Strays...

aqua.jpg

funny- for the longest time it seemed like people with an inclination toward problem solving, fixing and building things with their hands were the absolute least cool people on the planet.

Next time you're at a party and someone asks you 'What'd you do today?" go ahead and reply "I rewired my bathroom" -see what kind of response you get.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on May 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM · Report this
JonnoN 2
I have no doubt that working in an amazon warehouse sucks. Working in any warehouse probably sucks. Its systemic; it's a nationwide problem that good working-class jobs are disappearing. The "free market" is a race to the bottom.

But goddamn, 2 extremely whiny white-collar employees does not make an epidemic. Yes, Amazon expects you to work hard and be good at your job. They also pay well. I know some people who got burned out there; they quit and got another job. I also know people who love it there. This is Seattle, I can't walk 10 feet without tripping over a tech job offer. If they're telling you to work "80-100 hour weeks", QUIT. You're obviously not doing a good job anyway.
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on May 6, 2014 at 6:17 PM · Report this
Tingleyfeeln 3
Jonnon, this was part of an ongoing series. Sure, some people like working in a hostile environment where you are expected to put the company first. Most of us work to live, amazon is hardly conducive to that. I think he critiques are spot on, the I humane environment of Amazon is not just a problem for the warehouse workers, it is a problem that goes almost all the way to the top.
Posted by Tingleyfeeln on May 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 4

Wonder what effect Alibaba.com is having on Amazon.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on May 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 5
@2,

There are many more than two "whiny" ex-employees just FYI.

The main objection that I have toward how Amazon treats its white collar workers is that Amazon still seems to be living in the fantasy that its still some sort of scrappy, up-and-coming startup. It's one thing to put in 100-hour weeks with the implicit promise of a big cash payout when the company goes public, but Amazon has been a publicly traded corporation for 17 years. It's time for Bezos et al to grow the hell up.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM · Report this
JonnoN 6
@5 I agree, I know amazon is kind of a sweatshop... this is my point, the employees SHOULD quit! Or work 40-50/week and risk getting fired over it. Have an impossible jerk manager? Stand up for yourself and risk getting fired over it. The higher their turnover, the sooner Bezos will ask why they're spending so much on new badges.

Maybe I just don't understand why people are so beholden to their jobs there; the tech economy in seattle is not bad at all.
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on May 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM · Report this
Tingleyfeeln 7
When you put in those kind of hours while being insulted drains some people so much they can't summons the energy to look for another job. And they can't afford to quit without a job.
Posted by Tingleyfeeln on May 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM · Report this
Yep those are boobs, alright
Posted by UberAlles on May 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM · Report this
Posted by Jizzlobber on May 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM · Report this
biffp 10
Seems to be a naked book club and only for ladies. It would be awesome if the library could be like the gym for gay dudes.
Posted by biffp on May 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM · Report this